Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Terrible arson fire west of me.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Terrible arson fire west of me.

Hi all. Please keep the wildlife creatures in your thoughts and prayers. An idiot arsonist started a rapidly spreading fire in the mountains west of me. Idyllwild and many children's camps are at risk of being destroyed. Several thousand people were being evacuated, along with animals they're able to rescue.

My heart is breaking when I think of the massive loss of wildlife in fires such as these. A man was arrested pretty quickly and charged with arson. Why in the world would anyone do something so tragic? It boggles my mind that some people like doing this stuff.

You can check out the 2 photos I put in my new album titled 'Cranston Fire'. I'm still not proficient at posting photos on the threads. If anyone can help me to remember how to post normal sized photos here, I'd greatly appreciate it. All I can do is those little avatars.

20180725_173512.jpg 20180725_191602.jpg
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Re: Terrible arson fire west of me.

I will be keeping all of the wild life, birds, etc., and also children and adults in my prayers for safety. It is unbelievable these days what some people do to kill and mame creatures and humans!! Shameful!!!!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Yes it is, Ellen. I'm about 40 miles from the fire, but the smoke is really playing havoc with my allergies. I started taking prednisone. Fortunately, I have meds on hand and access to my friend the doctor at any time. I worry about the poor folks who are not so lucky and are suffering from all of this. And, I'm sure they can't count all the loss of wildlife, sad that they can only estimate if they do that.

Last year there had been a fire near there and the birds came down from the mountains. They were everywhere here in the valley. They had lost their homes and didn't know where to go to forage. It was sad. There were these odd beetles that came down, too. They were all out at night in places you'd never see them normally. Very sad that people have to do these horrible things.
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

I am devestated about all the fires and especially the one in Redding!!!!! That is just heartbreaking. This high heat hot summer is the worst here in over 50 years. It must be terrible to smell that burning. I know I would get sick, having to be tbere. I would not be able to breathe it at all! We have very high humidity and 105-110 heat index on some days, but thankfully no fires in this area of my State. I feel sad for and pray for everyone affected by the CA fires!!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The Redding fire is blowing smoke towards my area. This morning it was horrible here but thankfully the wind changed mid afternoon. It's so hot and dry here in the Tahoe National Forest but so far we have not had one fire around us. I just hope they get the Redding fire out and the fire close to you Pat out soon. Our sun here has been a dark red color for days now.

I cry for the innocent animals caught in these fires. It is so sad to think of the fear they feel and how confused they get in the awful smoke. I hate knowing how afraid the wildlife is in these fires.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Oh my goodness, Deanna. It's terrible to see so many fires - and most preventable. I'm sorry smoke is blowing your way. But I'm also thankful that you don't have a fire around you.

The guy suspected of the arson went to court Friday. Apparently, he had set 9 fires that day. His bail was increased from $1 million to $3.5 million. Someone had spotted him setting fires and followed him after calling 911. Thank goodness for cellphones! He was arrested within 30 minutes and they found evidence in his car. He's potentially looking at a life sentence.

The fire's grown to 12,300 acres already, and we're having record-breaking heat. God bless the first responders!

I'm feeling the effects of this more than any fire I've ever been affected by. Not only am I asthmatic, I am severely allergic to many trees and grasses in this area. Burning them makes it worse. On top of the burning of vegetation, there are propane tanks, chemicals in structures, etc. My whole entire body is affected now. I did light laundry yesterday and felt wiped out as though I had run a marathon. My daughter is on standby if I need to go to the hospital. Fortunately, I have very easy 24/7 access to my friend who is a doctor. She's advised me of what meds to take, so far. I've also notified my primary care physician.

Hey guys, don't worry about me, though. I'm in good hands. The only reason I'm even whining about this is that I just am thinking about other people who are not as fortunate as me who are in worse shape. Most people don't have easy access to a doctor for help. I'm sure a lot of people with underlying conditions don't know what to do to alleviate their symptoms. And, worst of all, there's an entire city without power because their power lines run through the mountains and were damaged. Anza residents are having it really rough.

So much tragedy results from such inconsiderate behavior such as arson. There will be untold casualties from these fires. God bless us all.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

We have a air purifier to keep the air in our house clean and it really does help. The Carr fire has burned though 88,000 acres and is 18% contained. It just keeps on getting smoky here in the days. Thankfully at night the wind changed directions and clears the smoke out until in the morning. It is a raging inferno and they evacuated a bigger area today. I hate fires.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads