Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Looking for a good vacuum cleaner

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Looking for a good vacuum cleaner

Hi all,
    I have hardwood floors in my living room where my birds are at. Okay, maybe you can say that I can easily use a broom to clean the floor. Nope.

Due to my allergies, whenever I sweep the floor, the dust from Benny Francis' peanuts and the sunflower seed dust from all 3 birds kicks up and causes me bad problems.

I'm looking to buy an upright vacuum cleaner that will effectively pick up the peanuts. Can you folks help me?

I bought a few shop vacs of different sizes in the hopes of finding a good vacuum. Although the shop vacs pick up the peanuts, they're awkward to store and to use. And the attachments don't store on the vacuums very well. I really miss using an upright, but I can't find one that I feel confident will suck up the peanuts.

I know. I'm being picky. But, I have to be for my health's sake.

Any suggestions will be greatly, greatly appreciated!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: Looking for a good vacuum cleaner

Hi Pat,
    Here is link to the vacuum my brother bought about a couple of months ago.. I think he found it at Sam's or Costco.. I think he paid about the same price as advertised on QVC.

https://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.V348...V34810-154-000

Tango's Uncle Scott loves it. His home has mostly hardwood floors throughout, but he does have area rugs. He has no complaints. As the saying goes... "You get what you pay for" . Oh, and when Tango stayed with him during the 4th of July holiday, he sang to the vacuum..
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thanks, Carolyn. That Shark is nice! Last night I was looking at a Shark vacuum but I hadn't seen that one.
    So, the duo clean works well? That's good to know.

Oh, that's so cute that Tango sang to the vacuum!! It's so cool when our birds trust us enough not to be scared by noises. And, it says a lot that he has so much trust in his Uncle Scott that he even sang to the vacuum! That speaks volumes about how well Tango has been cared for. So nice!

Please give Uncle Scott hugs for me for being such a great and wonderful uncle to Tango!
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

Hi, Pat. Here where I live in a small apartment I have a daily problem with dust. It is not my birds, but rather from an attic where spray in insulation was used to supposedly help lower the electric bill!!!! NOT!!! At leaest it sure did not help me. Just more dust to collect! It comes out of the bathroom air vent! Management seems to have no answer to fix it.

So, I use "bagged"vaccums . Hoover made one callled Termpo, a few years ago, and it worked quite well. It was quite heavy to push around though, so I too am on the search for a new one. The bagless have filters yiu have to replace or clean, and I just have no luck with them doing the job for me. This is just my own view for my own needs.

I am looking on line at walmart for one. Maybe Amazon would also have one to your liking. Or, a retail store close by you!
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-27-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Hi Ellen, We have lots of dust from the desert, in addition to the cockatiel dust. Boy, those cockatiels sure produce a lot of dust! This is the first time I've had 2 cockatiels for any length of time. Before it was just Misty Pierre for 7 years. That wasn't so bad.

Yeah, I've had problems with dust coming out the bathroom air vents, too. Been thinking of having my ducts cleaned.

I had bagged vacuums before but the problem I have is in taking them off the vacuum. They seem to spit fine dust in my face. Ugh!

I like the Shark duo clean. But I also checked out a Dirt Devil that does just about the same work in picking up large debris. And, the Dirt Devil is less expensive than the Shark. I really want to check that out.

I love the Hoover brand and recently gave away a beautiful Hoover to my daughter's friend. It was really nice but it didn't pick up anything big.

Thanks for your input!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Well, I was torn between the Shark Duo Clean and the Dirt Devil Razor Pet Vacuum. Yeah, I'm cheap. As Uncle Scott says, 'you get what you pay for' and that stuck with me when I made my choice. But, I went with the Dirt Devil. Cheap, cheap, cheap me. Maybe I've been hanging around birds too long, I'm beginning to sound like them, LOL.

The Dirt Devil seems to be satisfactory for my needs. We'll see what my housekeeper thinks about it. If it's not good enough by her standards, I'll just go out and buy the Shark Duo Clean.

Thanks for your input.

Name
    Bev
    Thanks

I have the shark navigator that thing is awesome

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inlineskater View Post
    I have the shark navigator that thing is awesome
    Does the Shark Navigator pick up peanuts in the shell or something that big? Thanks for posting!

Name
    Bev
    Thanks

I never tried but I will throw down a couple of peanuts and see how it does

Name
    Bev
    Thanks

just vacuumed 2 peanuts off the floor with my shark navigator did a nice job

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Cool! That's good to know. So far, my housekeeper likes the Dirt Devil, but I told her I'd get a Shark if she wanted me to.

It's so nice to have an upright vacuum that will do what I need it to. The ones I had before would get jammed. So, I had resorted to clumsy, ugly shop vacs. It feels so good to have a better vacuum.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hi Pat,
    Happy to hear you found a vacuum cleaner that doesn't break the budget either. You purchased what you needed to get the job done. Now this talking about vacuum cleaners, the one I use in Tango's room is acting up. I have hardwood floors with an area rug in the middle. I currently have a Panasonic upright and yesterday, it started making a new noise. We bought the vacuum right after we brought Tango home which was 7 years ago. I also have a very nice Dyson... It doesn't go anywhere near the birds room... So, I maybe shopping for a new vacuum for Tango's room... Please keep us updated on the Dirt Devil, I will definitely keep your thoughts under consideration..
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Remove Ads