Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: The Joy of Parronting

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

The Joy of Parronting

Hi All! Just wanted to share some wonderful experiences that come with having a new parrot.
    First off, I've had birds for many years and I've shared a lot here since 7 years ago, but I really wanted to share about my new baby Yellow Naped Amazon. I have some things to say that might help some people to really, really enjoy a good relationship with their pet bird.

I had a Lilac Crowned Amazon many years ago, but I got him when he was an adult from the wild. Benny Francis is just a baby and it's a completely different experience with him that I'd love to share.

First, I bought Benny Francis when he was a month old. Since I do hand feed birds, I was allowed to take him home. Didn't work. Hand feeding a big baby like him was too much for me. So, I just brought him back to Jeff, the bird dealer, and let him hand feed Benny. When Benny was old enough to skip a midday meal, I started to take him home for a couple of hours (I live a couple of blocks from the store, thank goodness). That helped him to get acquainted with his new home. He was too young to even understand what was going on, but he felt security at the store.

Then the big day came! At nearly 4 months old, Benny Francis was ready to come home - permanently! He was obviously out of his comfort zone. Bringing a new bird home requires several things from the new 'parront':

1. Compassion. The bird is with strangers - not yet his friends. He's scared. I spoke softly and gently to Benny Francis.

2. Understanding. The bird does not know human language. Many people just yap away at a bird. That's scary to him. He really can't understand a bunch of gibberish, as our words sound to his poor ears. I use simple, basic words to the bird.

For example, I say 'Hi Benny Francis!' with enthusiasm in my voice. Or 'hello'. When I wanted him to find his food, I say 'food' to indicate his seed or pellet mix. When I want him to see his salad mix, I say 'salad'. For treats I say 'cookie'. When I want him to step up, I say 'Come here!'. Some people prefer to say 'Step Up!'. Whichever words you use for something, stick with it. Repeat the word or phrase several times - without a bunch of other words. Speak in simple, basic terms and not in long sentences.

Tell others who visit you what words you'd prefer them to say to the bird. You will find that the bird will soon catch on and start learning this 'second language'. Remember, human language is actually a second language to a bird. It's no different than me, an English speaker, learning Spanish for the first time. Try learning Bird!!!

3. Respect. Whenever I approach any bird, I speak a word or phrase before I get to him. I watch to see if he is agreeable to my approach. If he looks worried, backs up a bit, moves away, I will STOP approaching. But, I keep speaking to him using the simple, basic words. This way, while he's learning his second language, he's better able to pay attention to the language and not be worried about what's going to happen to him. After a while, you'll notice that the bird relaxes more and more when you're approaching. Pretty soon, you will be touching the bird and he'll allow it.

4. Consideration. If I have to handle Benny Francis, I need to be aware that he doesn't know what's going to happen to him at first. He's going to be really scared, frightened out of his wits maybe, of being touched in a way he doesn't understand by someone he doesn't know. I would say, the feeling would be like a human being accosted and robbed on the street.

If you are worried about walking in a park or a street and a man approaches, if he's friendly he'll do something to assure you you don't have to be afraid. He'd probably nod, tip his hat, say hi or something to assure you he has good intentions.

Give your bird consideration of his fears when you handle him. Approach as gently as possible. There are numerous methods that we can discuss here for handling a bird, depending on how accustomed to people he already is. Let's say your bird is like Benny Francis - hand fed and used to the breeder handling him. Still, we are the strangers to him. Speaking softly before approaching, using basic words of comfort like 'good boy' or something, and gently making contact will be helpful in avoiding a bite from a scared bird.

=================

At the present time, I've had Benny Francis for 2 weeks today. He's already my loving 'boyfriend'. I am so happy with this beautiful creature that I just felt I wanted to share in our progress together because I see lots of people asking for help with new birds. I sincerely hope that the things I'm sharing here will help someone to find the real joy of parronting.

There's more I can share, and I will as my relationship with Benny Francis progresses.
    It would be a real joy if anyone is willing to post on this thread to ask questions, make comments, share your experiences or - whatever!

Thanks for reading this!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,245 Posts

Re: The Joy of Parronting

Thank you, Pat for sharing this great info with us!! It will be very helpful to other caregivers!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Like Pat, most of my birds have been rescues with some rehomes and even fewer breeder babies. I can promise you that the sweetest and most loyal birds are rescues. Unfortunately, they take much longer if ever to train and accept you because their experiences with humans has been negative. Before training, you get to untrain them and let them learn to trust YOU.

Those traits are a must! There are some more. Among other things, you must LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY and DESIRE to give them a loving and safe home. You also must be GRATEFUL to offer them a forever home.

Yes, my home may be a hospice of sorts, but here they'll know peace and love for the rest of their lives!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

s!
    Last edited by Chloemom; 08-01-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Double post

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

It's so nice to hear from people who actually see their birds for who they are - loving, sensitive people. Thanks for caring so much, Leslie!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Please read my thread in Gen. Bird Disc. titled a room for the conures. I need help!

Remove Ads