Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My Budgie Eats Only 1 Type of Seed From The Seed Mix.Please Help!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Yigit Sener
    Thanks

My Budgie Eats Only 1 Type of Seed From The Seed Mix.Please Help!

Hi.I just got myself a budgie.It has been 4 days.He is around 2.5-3 weeks old.When i fill his bowl he doesn't eat all of them.He only eats 1 type of seed from the mix and leaves the rest.I usually fill his bowl and leave the room to help him get comfy with his new home.I come back time to time and check him.Then i come for the last time around 8pm and he just goes crazy, he pushes himself againts to walls of the cage and chirps.I can feel him saying "please feed me i am starving".It feels so bad he just
    goes crazy in the cage.Then i just take the bowl out and pour out some seed and fill it again so the 1 type of seed i was talking about gets in the bowl.This cycle goes on and on everyday and it makes me feels so bad plus this problem makes me stuck with him.I can't leave the house in peace.Please help me!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Re: My Budgie Eats Only 1 Type of Seed From The Seed Mix.Please Help!

I hope you made a mistake when you wrote that your budgie is 2,5-3 weeks old. At that young age, they should be fed every 3-4 hours, and it can take weeks before they are able to eat and digest all seeds from a mix. Talk with the people where you got him from, and ask for advice about how and when they have to eat before it's too late. And no, with a 2,5-3 week old budgie you won't be able to leave the house for long.

If he's older and already an adult, I don't have a good solution. Maybe somebody else?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Jo is right. If it is that young it should be eating from its Mom or being fed formula.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Yigit Sener
    Thanks

I might be wrong about the age.Sorry!Let me describe his look.He is not that small, he is small but not much.His feathers are all grown.He is energetic he can move easily fly easily(kinda).He moves in the cage but he also sleeps a lot.I know he is young but i don't know his exact age.Can you help me now?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Yes and no. Your description is the description of a very, very young bird that's doesn't get enough nutrition from the food he is offered. Other signs you describe are signs of frustration and insecurity, which also might be caused by malnutrition. Your second description is that of a less young bird who acts like a normal bird which is the opposite of what you first said. "He just goes crazy in his cage".

What I make out of your story is that your bird is too young, isn't fully weaned and you bought him at a too young age. His food intake might not be appropriate for his age, which could be confirmed (or not) by calling the store or where you got the bird. Again, you should do that before it's too late. A veterinarian can help you to determine his state of health and set your priorities (and his age if necessary).

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Jo is right. Let a vet check him. In my flock, some ages are approximations based on our AV.
    (Rescues don't come with hatchdays and histories.)

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The vet can also show you how to spoon or if needed syringe feed him some formula. We have a pet store that sells just weaned babies and I always worry about the babies being sold too quickly after being weaned. No doubt some need to be fed a little bit longer. Your baby might be one of those. It least call the pet store and ask if they can teach you how to supplement your babies diet with bird formula
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,168 Posts

In my view, if it were me, I would be taking him back to the seller, and let him or her cintinue to take care of him until he is at least 12 weeks old. All baby birds are vulnerable to starving very quickly. And, the seller, in my view should not have sold him to you at that young age. He could die quickly, and his behavior tells me he is at risk! I recommend calling the seller immediately!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    In my view, if it were me, I would be taking him back to the seller, and let him or her cintinue to take care of him until he is at least 12 weeks old. All baby birds are vulnerable to starving very quickly. And, the seller, in my view should not have sold him to you at that young age. He could die quickly, and his behavior tells me he is at risk! I recommend calling the seller immediately!
    Of course his eating is limited. It's surprising that he's eating at all! If you meant to write "weeks," do something fast!!! Hopefully, you meant "months." If not, any eating of seeds is amazing!

Remove Ads