Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Quaker bird yellow blob under skin and loss of feathers

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quaker bird yellow blob under skin and loss of feathers

Hello

I have a 4 year old Quaker parrot called Salil. He is blue, handicapped, cant fly, walks wobbly, stargazers etc. But is otherwise is a healthy guy.

It started with me finding his right wing-shoulder-underwing bloody one evening. Took him to ER. They recommended putting a Cape on him, said its behavioral even though there was yellow patch that looked abnormal to me under the other wing and the bloodied wing, and gave him anti inflammatory and opioids to keep him from plucking on it more.

3 weeks after now his yellow patch under skin has travelled to his neck-chest area, he has lost more feathers under that wing, I keep changing his Cape and giving him medication but when the Cape is not on, he plucks on his right wing shoulder and makes it a little bloody. He is stil eating and being himself (less than normal but not looking like hes dying) but I am worried about that yellow patch which now is a blob under his skin. Its not quite yellow. It's a light creme but stands out in his otherwise pink skin.

I got him harrisons potency but hes until now been on lafabers nutriberry and daily maintenance. I am getting very worried that it's an infection and the doctors dont seem to see it that way. Please help if you have previous experience. I dont know how to attach pictures

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Quaker bird yellow blob under skin and loss of feathers

You obviously visited your AV after the ER visit. Get a second opinion! Let another AV take a look and advise you! You might be surprised! At the very least, you'll get a confirmation.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I got to agree with Leslie and get a second opinion. I would think if it was a infection it would be warm to the touch but then I just say this because it is that way with humans. It could be a fast growing fatty tumor too.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Diet changes should be gradual. I think both Drs. Harrison and Lafeber recommend a change taking several months. I do it in roughly 1-2 months. Like Deanna said, it could be something worse. Actually, that's my guess, too. Not only is Salil having health problems, you're complicating it by a sudden diet change.
    If you're having problems finding a second AV, know that most sanctuaries and rescues employ one. You might try that option.

Remove Ads