Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lots of questions about my new Budgie!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sofe
    Thanks

Lots of questions about my new Budgie!

Hey everyone!

I just recently got an Australian Budgie and she is lovely! I got her yesterday so it has been about 32 hours now with her in my home. She seems to be slowly warming up to her cage but is clearly still frightened by loud noises, my hand, and her surroundings (which I know is to be expected). She hasn't eat any of her food or drunk any water, and I do have some questions. I know Budgies love millet pray, so I gave her a piece and she ate it up. I don't want to give her too much or else she won't want regular food. Was it ok to give her some if she wasn't eating any of her seed? just until she grows accustomed to everything? My next question is about her behavior. She hasn't moved around much and has only explored a small part of her cage. Is that normal? Also, she doesn't really use the ladder to get back up if she falls to the bottom of the cage. I gave her one toy, but I heard that you don't want to overwhelm them with too much in the beginning, is this right? (next question!) Sometimes her body quivers a little and she sort of shakes for a few moments, but then goes totally normal a couple minutes later. I checked her eyes and nose and they are clear, and her feathers are sleek and pretty, so I don't think she is sick. Is this fear? will she grow out of it? Also, she hasn't touched any fruit or veggies so I hope this isn't a bad sign.

I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm a first time owner and really want to know my stuff. I would really appreciate it if I could get some answers!

Thanks!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,139 Posts

Re: Lots of questions about my new Budgie!

Hi, Sore and welcome to the community! Congrats on bringing home your new budgie. All the behaviors you describe are very typical of the first few days having her in your home. It was a great idea to give her the millet. It has great nutrition and plenty of moisture in it so both are great for her/him those first few days until he begins to drink and eat regularly. And then you still can feed millet to him as a treat every few days.

The quivering does happen. For a week or so, or, how ever long you decide, take a bath towel, or a sheet, or light weight cover and place over the top of the cage, with the front side open, during the day, and all four sides covered at night except for about 4-5 inches of front side uncovered,. I do this every day and night, for my 7 year old budgie It has provided him security and comfort and also keeps him from getting drafts from air conditioner in the summer, and cold drafts in the winter.

Each day he or she will get more adjusted and used to you and his environment. Time and patience are on your side. From what you write, I do not think, at this time, he is displaying symptoms of illness.

We will welcome your updates anytime! Good luck!
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-10-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sofe
    Thanks

Re: Lots of questions about my new Budgie!

Thank you very much Ellen!

Remove Ads