where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Vacation

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Curtis Jones
    Thanks

Vacation

I'm about to go on a 2 day vacation for the first time since I got these budgies, I don't know if they will be okay. I plan on leaving them the right amount of food for 2 days, but will they be okay without me for a little?
    Last edited by Cjweej; 08-15-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,193 Posts

Re: Vacation

Is there any relative or friend that could take them to their home for a few days. In my view, any caged birds should not be left alone, other than if a caregiver works for the day, but is home evenings and all night, and can provide proper food and water daily.

The second alternative would be to have someone come to your home each evening, feed and water them, and check to be sure they are doing OK!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Curtis Jones
    Thanks

Both of those options are a no go for me. I don't have anyone I can leave them with, and my father is completely against the idea of having someone in our house while we are gone. My only option is to put their lights on a timer and leave them with plenty of food/water.
    Last edited by Cjweej; 08-15-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

We left Boomer alone overnight a few times when we had too. It made me nervous but we had no choice. I put a radio on a timer to go on in the day and the lights on a separate timer to go off in the day and come in evenings I also put two bowls of food a bowls of water because Boomer loved to put things in his water and throw his food around. Its not a good thing to leave them that long but sometimes you have no choice.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Can you leave the birds with another family member or leave them with a friend? Usually when I go out of town, I take my bird over to my brother's home. Or you can consider boarding your budgies for a couple of days. I see these pet motels/spas/resorts popping up all over in my area.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

If your birds are able to use a water bottle that's sold for birds - the kind that rabbits and other small and furry animals use, it might be at least a way to ensure that your birds have good drinking water for a couple of days. That to me is the most important issue - that they have clean drinking water. There's also these water tubes that have tiny little dishes the water flows into. I think it would be more difficult for the birds to soil these kinds of waterers. I would still give them a couple of dishes of water like they're used to and add a water bottle or water tube.

If you place a hand towel on half of the floor of the cage, and use treat sticks and millet spray, I think your birds will be okay for 2 days. The towel should be placed beneath where their food is - not the water. If the birds throw their seed around, they can retrieve some from the towel.

Make sure to play the radio softly, like Deanna said. Place the water dishes higher up in the cage so that there is less chance of them getting soiled. And if your birds get scared at night for some weird reason, placing the water dishes up higher will protect the birds from accidental drowning.

Psittacine birds are different from passerines. Psittacines (parrots) don't have to be eating as often as a passerine (finch, canary, sparrow). A finch can die without food or water in a short time. Not the same for your birds. I personally think that your birds will be okay for 2 days if you do these things. Just my opinion. I've had to leave my birds for a couple of days before. I was hospitalized with pneumonia for 3 days and my 38 birds were okay.

Thank you for being such a responsible bird owner that you're asking for advice! Please let us know how things go.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Thanks

Remove Ads