Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old Benny Francis update

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

5 month old Benny Francis update

Hi all, Just wanted to share the progress of my baby Benny Francis. I'm so happy with that little guy!

He's beginning to speak words, like hello, baby, WOW!, hi, and other stuff.
    He also shocked the heck out of me when my housekeeper was running the vacuum near his cage. He kept saying 'Whatcha Doing Baby?'. Then I gave him a ride in my (his) car and again he blew me away by saying 'What the car say? Vroom!' I only said that to him twice a few weeks ago but he remembered.

Every day I take him outside and we go through the same ritual. I first sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star to him and then when a car goes by I say CAR! He's catching on. Now when I bring him to my car he does say 'car' on his own.

Now, several times a day, I take him for a ride around the neighborhood and he sits on the car seat I made for him. Today, he was 'singing' with the radio. It sounded like he was making an effort to form words, so he sounded like he was telling me a story, rather than an actual singing voice. But, it was so much fun! He was over the moon happy taking a ride.

He's also learned to wave when I say 'hello'. He lifts his little foot and opens and closes his toes.

I am so excited to see this baby learn. He's such an affectionate bird, so sweet and so smart. I'm so glad I got him.

One note: 23 years ago, I lost my best friend - my little 3 year old sparrow Bitsy Francis. It was only after losing Bitsy that I began taking in lots of birds. I realized that I was trying to fill that empty place in my heart, but knew I never could. Twenty three years of grieving for my precious companion. But, I have realized that the hole in my heart is being occupied by Benny Francis. I had worried about giving Benny the same middle name as Bitsy. But I think it might have been divine intervention that helped me to do it. Now I believe it even more. Joy is finally replacing my grief now that Benny Francis is in my life.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: 5 month old Benny Francis update

You and Benny Francis have developed a very loving bond. I am so happy for you and for Benny Francis.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,245 Posts

How awesome you found Benny Francis! It is apparent he is VERY intelligent and loves you so much. I am super happy for you that you have him for your very best friend.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thanks Carolyn and Ellen. I never, ever thought I'd ever be so attached to another bird as I had been with Bitsy. For sure, I loved all of my birds, but that special one makes such a unique mark on your heart. He's such a smartie pants, too.

He just flew over to me while I was lounging on my loveseat. He started whining like a little baby. Then he kept putting his beak on my ankle like he was trying to tell me to get up. He wanted me to get him breakfast, LOL! He had plenty of food. He just wanted me to give him some more. Just like my kids when they were growing up. "Mommy, mommy, mommy! I want this or I want that"
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy for you and Benny. He sounds like a perfect bird and boy does he sound super smart.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Another landmark today. I took him outside as usual to sing Twinkle, Twinkle to him and he is actually starting to sing the words with me. Only 2 words, but it's big news to me because he sings the right word at the right time. He sings 'star' and 'high' at the right time with me. May not be a big deal to some, but for a not quite 5 month old baby, I feel he's doing something special.

I think I'll have to cut down the amount of times he gets rides in my car because today he was just mostly enjoying the ride and not vocalizing much. The idea of the car rides is to get him excited enough to vocalize and practice his sounds. Now he finds car rides old hat, LOL. But he says several words when we ride. "Hello", "car", "vroom" and "hi", plus his little parrot chatter when he's telling me all about it.

But, he made another milestone today, too. I almost forgot. He has 2 large play stands clamped together - 1 mesquite and 1 metal. He was way in the back and I said, 'Come here'. He just looked at me. Didn't wanna come here. Then I said, Come here, let's go Benny Francis car. He scurried right over and got on my hand. Little 5 month old stinker - I mean, cutie!! One more week and he'll be 5 months old!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

"Vroom"!!!!!! That is just too cute!! He really is a smartie! Amazing! No one could ever convince me of a bird's intelligence being hum drum! They have more intelligence than some humans....and that is the real truth!!!!!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

He is a smartie, Ellen. So much fun!
    My gardener has a cockatoo that's new to the family so he asks me advice a lot. Yesterday he watched me give Benny Francis a bath with a spray bottle. He took his phone out and video recorded it. I was so excited to see that video! I have to post it here when I get it on youtube. It's small size because he texted it to me, but I have to, have to share it with you all!!

Please have patience with me while I figure this attachment stuff out again. I think I found my problem, though. I was trying to post photos and videos on this quick reply when I should have used the advanced reply. I'll get it down sometime soon, I hope, LOL.

The thing I'm excited about is that posting baby Benny Francis' progress here is like writing a journal about the yellow naped amazon's steps in learning. I am surely hoping that these progress notes will help other bird owners to anticipate how their birds learn, as well as give some helpful hints they might use in teaching their birds. The early days of bird ownership seem to be the most frustrating to people. I'm hoping that this 'journal' will help some to be less frustrated and actually learn to enjoy their birds efforts in learning stuff.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Tomorrow, August 24th, Benny Francis reaches the 5 month hatchiversary!
    He's starting to sing more of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. He says something that resembles 'star', 'are' and 'high' at the right time when I get to those words. And he said something that sounded like 'flower'. I thought about that and realized he was trying to sing 'how I wonder' and it came out like 'flower'.
    We're having so much fun!! Happy 5 month Hatch Day, my little Benny Francis!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think he is going to be a "rock star"!!!!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Benny Francis got his jeep today. It's kind of small for him, but maybe I can hook up a pvc perch for it so he can ride it.
    Today he went with me to a car dealership with a friend. I had to drop off the friend to get a loaner car while his is being worked on.
    On the way home, Benny Francis got off of his car seat and played on the actual seat. I have towels on it for obvious reasons, LOL.
    He found his toy duckie and was actually trying to roll on his side to play with his duckie! It was so cute! I finally got him to stop trying to come to me while I'm driving. Going in the car is no big deal to him anymore. He's just entertaining himself while I drive. That's a big improvement for me.

I brought him to Jeff's store so he could go shopping for hatchiversary toys. He picked out 3. I finally got him the one he's been attracted to for months. He was so happy! I swear I'm going broke buying all kinds of toys for him. He has a huge toy box that's brimming over. It's no wonder he's such a quiet amazon. He's always got something to do. I don't think I'll ever have a problem with him getting loud

I'm working on getting him to let me hold him on his back. He's doing real well so far. It's the one thing I always do with my birds - get them comfortable laying on their backs in my arms. I heard that that's the biggest indicator of how much a bird trusts you, which is why I do it. He's still grumbling a little, but he's getting good at letting me play with his toes and snuggle him. I love my little guy!!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yaaaay, Bernny Francis! Now one day in the distant future, trade that jeep in for a Cadillac SUV!!! Mom won't mind at all!!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Let's see if I successfully uploaded photos this time. These photos are also in my album here.
    The first photo is all 3 birds with a neighbor girl. This is the first time the birds have all been together out of their cages. Benny Francis was wonderful with the other birds. And, it's the first time Benny Francis actually was interacting like this with children.

The second and third photos are of Benny Francis when he saw me lounging on my love seat. He just had to come over and snuggle with me under the blanket. I was stroking his head like a mama bird would do and was giving him cuddles, too. He loved it! I even swaddled him in the blanket and turned him on his back. He was laying in my arms like a baby.

20180828_192436a.jpg20180829_094201a.jpg20180829_094516a.jpg

Dang. Still can't figure out how to get the photos to show. At least you can click on the links.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm trying to post photos again.

Well, this is a little better.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! Precious!!!!!

Remove Ads