Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is it time to put them in the same cage?

Brand New Egg Luna_the_love_bird's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it time to put them in the same cage?

I've had my little fischer's lovebird Luna for about 9 months now and is a happy little bird eats/drinks/bathes on a regular basis and gets the daily dose of sun but i thought it was time to get a friend for Luna and then came along Nova a peachface lovebird (i've had Nova for about 4-5 months now) absolutely adorable gets distracted by bugs and chases after moths and Nova loves Luna goes wherever Luna is. They have the occasional issue and clash beaks but never anything serious as of recent i've noticed that they have been trying to get to each others cage whenever i put them back in their cage they hold onto the sides and rub their beak on the bars, i don't know if this is a sign that they want to be in the same cage or if they want to fight I would love any help i can get.

-Luna and Nova

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Re: Is it time to put them in the same cage?

Hi Luna and Nova, and Luna_the_love_bird! Sounds like you have been letting them interact outside the cages. That's really the best first step.
    Check which one is the alpha - the one that seems to be the take-charge bird. Place both birds in the other cage - not the alpha's. I'd do it in the daytime when I'm home. See how they do while you're observing them. If there's any problems, you can step in.

I'd probably just do this for a few weeks during the daytime whenever you can. If they seem to enjoy being in the same cage after settling in during the day, you might risk letting them sleep together at night.

I had a sun conure that was raised with a cockatiel. They were both 2 weeks old when I got them and I hand fed them together. There was no question that they were best friends. But later I got baby Indian Ringnecks, which are much bigger birds. I was afraid of them all being together, but I let them out of their cages during the day and they did fine. Eventually, I housed the sun conure, the cockatiel and the Indian Ringneck male all together in the same cage. They loved being together. Note: I rehomed the female Indian Ringneck because she was aggressive.

Another thing: My Indian Ringneck learned to open the cage I had 2 sparrows in that I raised from newly hatched. Chauncey would sit with the sparrows and they loved him. He was a giant next to these tiny sparrows and he never hurt them.

So, although I only had 2 baby lovebirds for a very short time (I gifted them to a disabled friend), I can't really speak about lovebird behavior. But hopefully what I've said might help you. It's kind of general across-the-birds advice.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

In my view, since it is fall, and the time of the year for breeding and mating, of most lovebirds and other parrots, their attraction to each other now could be hormones. It is difficult to judge if that is what may be happening. You would need to slowly introduce them to each other, beginning a few minutes at a time, introducing in one cage, and it is important you stay close by to watch for aggression. If you have two females, they may not get along well together in one cage.

Whatever you may decide, we will welcome your updates anytime! I love their names!
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-19-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks

This is very helpful information! Yes they get about 60mins of together time out of the cage per day the rest is just individual time together to gain a bond, Thank you very much for the advice i'll try this idea

Thanks

I will keep an eye on behaviour and see if aggression follows with a bit of cage time and see how it goes, thankyou!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Hello!

Our lovie, Sprite, was our only bird for a year. Then we decided to get another one, Scout. The process took WEEKS, but it did work. At first they were just in the same room, with the cages near each other. After awhile, they were both out of their cages, with me. Then I started putting them into Sprite's cage for an hour or two while I was home to supervise the interaction. I gradually upped their time , until I let them stay overnight together. Out of those two, Scout is the bossy one, probably because Sprite was handfed and such a sweetheart.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jenn4turtles View Post
    Hello!

Our lovie, Sprite, was our only bird for a year. Then we decided to get another one, Scout. The process took WEEKS, but it did work. At first they were just in the same room, with the cages near each other. After awhile, they were both out of their cages, with me. Then I started putting them into Sprite's cage for an hour or two while I was home to supervise the interaction. I gradually upped their time , until I let them stay overnight together. Out of those two, Scout is the bossy one, probably because Sprite was handfed and such a sweetheart.
    Great story, Jennifer. You do things right, gal! You really have that special way with birds. i love to hear your stories.
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
    Great story, Jennifer. You do things right, gal! You really have that special way with birds. i love to hear your stories.
    The funny thing about it ... It took months to get them into ONE cage, together. So I went to a bird show to buy a bigger cage (to fit both of them) ... And came home with bigger cage AND a 3rd bird. So I still had multiple cages.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Oh my goodness, Jennifer! Third bird. Sounds like how I was several years ago!

Remove Ads