Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 6 Week Old Budgie - Boy Or Girl?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Eleanor
    Thanks

6 Week Old Budgie - Boy Or Girl?

Hi there - I'm new to the forum and new to budgie owning too! We have this gorgeous little yellow/green budgie, Lemony Snicket (my 8 year old named it), who is 6 weeks old. He/she is a solid pale yellow colour with a pale greeny blue chest. No bars present anywhere, which I thought they were meant to have on their heads when they were babies - but we got him/her from a breeder and she says that he/she emerged from the nest the day before. He/she is quite tame already, doesn't bite much but occasionally nibbles!

So... do we have a boy or a girl? Also, anyone know what kind of budgie our Lemony is?

Thank you!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,232 Posts

Re: 6 Week Old Budgie - Boy Or Girl?

Hi, and welcome to the community! Awwwww! What a precious and beautiful baby budgie! And what a unique name...Lemony Snicket, Now that is just too cute and so sweet.

Beng a yellow mutation, it often is difficult to tell the sex, at such a young age, and even as they get older up to a year old. The care, which is the spot right above the beak should be blue or bluish color for a boy, and a light ivory or tan color for a girl. I do think it is a baby. And it may be too early as yet for the black bars upon the top of the head. And again, this mutation may not have the bars, or at least not as prominent as some other mutations.

Search on line for....budgie mutations. There also is a website called Budgie Place, that has a description and pics of different mutations.

You also can have an Avian vet do a sex DNA test, or, go online and order one. Search for DNA sex test kits for budgies.

Budgies are sweet, hardy, and loving birds. They love to eat, play, love their mirrors and swings. And your daughter is going to love him or her sooooo much. In fact, he or she will be a best friend to the whole family.

We will welcome updates anytime. I wish you all the best journey ever with Lemony Snicket!
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-21-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Lemony Snicket--and that's a terrific name--appears to be a boy if the color of the cere in the photograph is indicative of what it is in life.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Eleanor
    Thanks

Red face Re: 6 Week Old Budgie - Boy Or Girl?

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community! Awwwww! What a precious and beautiful baby budgie! And what a unique name...Lemony Snicket, Now that is just too cute and so sweet.

Beng a yellow mutation, it often is difficult to tell the sex, at such a young age, and even as they get older up to a year old. The care, which is the spot right above the beak should be blue or bluish color for a boy, and a light ivory or tan color for a girl. I do think it is a baby. And it may be too early as yet for the black bars upon the top of the head. And again, this mutation may not have the bars, or at least not as prominent as some other mutations.

Search on line for....budgie mutations. There also is a website called Budgie Place, that has a description and pics of different mutations.

You also can have an Avian vet do a sex DNA test, or, go online and order one. Search for DNA sex test kits for budgies.

Budgies are sweet, hardy, and loving birds. They love to eat, play, love their mirrors and swings. And your daughter is going to love him or her sooooo much. In fact, he or she will be a best friend to the whole family.

We will welcome updates anytime. I wish you all the best journey ever with Lemony Snicket!
    Thank you! I looked up the mutations, and I think our budgie may be a yellow-base double factor spangle? Lemony Snicket is a huge hit in our house, and is happily hopping onto our fingers and shoulders already. My son is infatuated with his new pet budgie (as am I... in fact secretly I think of it as my budgie )

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Eleanor
    Thanks

Thank you - the photo colours are accurate (not enhanced or anything) and were taken in clear daylight, so I think they're indicative. I also suspect male but the slight whitish ring around the nostrils (see middle pic) is confusing! Either way, our Snicket is super cute and already much loved

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh my goodness... Snicket is just too cute!!!! What a sweet and beautiful little bird.

Welcome to the forum and I will be looking forward to seeing more of Lemony Snicket here in the future
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,232 Posts

My correction....your son, not your daughter! We will welcome your posts anytime!

Remove Ads