Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Should I get another budgie ?

Thanks

Should I get another budgie ?

I have gotten my first budgie a few months ago and my family really loves him. However we occasionally see him calling the other birds outside the window and he sounded really desperate, we felt that it was wrong to keep him alone, and we would also love another budgie. We were thinking about getting another budgie, but we have some concerns : will our current budgie lose his bond with us even if I tamed the new budgie before introducing them ? Our budgie is really loved in our family and he really cheers me up when I’m too stressed up. It would be great if we all could be part of the budgie’s flock. He hasn’t shown any signs of depression, but he really loves his bells. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by mintbird; 08-25-2018 at 04:07 AM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: Should I get another budgie ?

Hi, and welcome to the forum. If you were to get another budgie, in my view, it needs to be a male, because you will lose a bond more should you have a pair, I.e. male and female. And, it is very difficult to know if you buy a male, when they are babies. Are you sure you now have a male? Usually, unless you get a DNA test, or wait until a budgie is about a year old, you will know for sure what sex it is. You would need to ask the pet shop, or wherever you would be getting another one if they DNA test their birds before selling them.

Personally, having had budgies for many years, I would say you could also get a couple of mirrors from the pet shop, and place at the end of perches. Budgies LOVE their mirror girlfriends. My Muffin will soon be 7 years old, and he has had three mirror girlfriends for all those years and he sure had fun with them. I did not want to breed budgies, and chose instead to use the mirrors. It has worked out well for Muffin. And the mirrors do not seem to cause hormonal issues either.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-25-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply Yes I am quite sure he is a male since he has a blue cere. Here’s a photo of him.
    I don’t use mirrors, but he can see his reflection on his bell. Like yours, he doesn’t show any hormonal problems and still really loves bonding with us and today he started rubbing his head and cheeks on my face. If we were to get another budgie, we would like a male one too. I considered having another budgie since sometimes we would be out for the whole day, and I felt bad for my budgie even though I keep the lights and radio on. We would come home seeing him sit on the perch and doing nothing. We would also really love another budgie but afraid that they would not play with us.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I feel two males would both bond with you. In my view, most of the time males get along together, but on occasion they will spar with each other. And, you cannot predict how your budgie will react to a new "fid" \friend. Some will accept a new one with no problems at all. Others sometimes take control, and not allowing the new one to eat or drink. You could consider getting another cage, and have it available for the new one if necessary. And then, take one at a time, and have social time with each, to keep a bond with both. Usually, this training will result in the two of them having a great time with the family, out of cage. You can start by putting them both in one cage, and if they do not get along, use the second cage, for awhile. I feel once they get out of cage time together, and interact with family, they will get along well together in one cage.

Playing music in daytime, while everyone is out of the home is a great idea. Budgies love music!

I could not access your pic, probably due to my settings on my device I am using.

Thanks

I think it would be better if I were to get another budgie since I will become increasingly busy in the next few years due to school. I will probably get another budgie after my big exam at the end of the year when the holidays start. I live in Singapore and we don’t have much breeders, most keep their birds in bad conditions and pet store birds are kept in cages and conditions worse than petco or PetSmart. It will take us some time to choose a bird. We don’t have any birds on adoption as well. Do you think we should aim for a baby bird and hope it is male, or go on the safe side and get a bird that already has a blue cere? Thank you for your reply
    Last edited by mintbird; 08-27-2018 at 02:42 AM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Your idea of getting a little older bird with a blue cere is a good one. I would look foir one about the age of yours, or maybe up to 1 1\2 to 2 years which would be about the age of yours by Springtime. Any bird older may be too dominant upon yours if it is too old.

Good luck with finding one. When that happens stop by and share the news. Also we will welcome updates anytime!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I love what Ellen advised you. Getting a male budgie that's close to your budgie's age is a great idea.
    Having a female budgie can be a hassle, especially if you're getting another bird as a companion.

One thing I might add is when you get the new bird, get a second cage to use for a little while, until the birds get acquainted from a distance. After they seem to be calm next to each other, you can try introducing them in 1 cage while you are observing them.

And, if your bird is finger tame, you'd most likely want to make sure the new bird is finger tame before you introduce the 2 birds.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Thanks

I know I said I would be getting one at the end of the year, but I have found a good breeder, and I’m going to schedule a meeting to look at the budgies available, I am so excited and I hope I find a budgie that is attracted to me. The thought that I wouldn’t have to worry about leaving my budgie home alone anymore makes me feel relieved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
    I love what Ellen advised you. Getting a male budgie that's close to your budgie's age is a great idea.
    Having a female budgie can be a hassle, especially if you're getting another bird as a companion.

One thing I might add is when you get the new bird, get a second cage to use for a little while, until the birds get acquainted from a distance. After they seem to be calm next to each other, you can try introducing them in 1 cage while you are observing them.

And, if your bird is finger tame, you'd most likely want to make sure the new bird is finger tame before you introduce the 2 birds.
    Thank you for your reply. I will introduce them outside the cages when they are calm with each other. Hopefully they will be great friends

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

You are very welcome. I'm looking forward to hearing about your new budgie!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Remove Ads