Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is there something wrong with my Budgie's cere?

Name
    Markus
    Thanks

Is there something wrong with my Budgie's cere?

Hi there ya'll! I'm new here and to Budgie ownership as I was given an Ino Budgie by a friend that is moving out of state soon. I was told he is male although I'm not so sure but whenever I was looking at his cere to see if he had white rings around his nostrils, I noticed it's a dry/crusty looking? I've read some articles and watched some Youtube videos that have given me conflicting information such as that female Budgies can get a bit crusty when fertile/ready to mate or that it could be a sign of mites.

He doesn't seem to be acting irritated though/showing any symptoms of having something wrong. Am I just overreacting? If there's nothing wrong with the cere than is my little Edgar actually an Edna? Sorry if this sounds dumb but I wanna make sure my new little friend is okay! I only got him/her Wednesday of this week so he/she is still not used to me and I don't want to cause unnecessary stress trying to grab him/her and checking their feathers for mites if it's not that. I do plan to get some preventative treatments though!

Thanks in advance!

Here's a close up of their cere, or as close up as I could get anyways:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Is there something wrong with my Budgie's cere?

Looks like a female who's in season to me.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the community. Your budgie is beautiful. From what I have actually seen on female budgies I have had in the past, this cere to me is not normal, because my females never had those real dark brown spots around the nares/nostrils area. If it were me, I would take him or her to an Avian vet in your area for a wellness check, Generally, budgies do not get or have mites. But it can happen on occasion. Do you notice him picking at his feathers alot? Or, have you seen any very very tiny black particles in or around the cage, or on him? They are even smaller than a grain of salt or sand. If it is mites, I know the vet can treat them, and also, by taking him for a wellness check, you then will have an established .relationship with the vet, should you ever need one.

Name
    Markus
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community. Your budgie is beautiful. From what I have actually seen on female budgies I have had in the past, this cere to me is not normal, because my females never had those real dark brown spots around the nares/nostrils area. If it were me, I would take him or her to an Avian vet in your area for a wellness check, Generally, budgies do not get or have mites. But it can happen on occasion. Do you notice him picking at his feathers alot? Or, have you seen any very very tiny black particles in or around the cage, or on him? They are even smaller than a grain of salt or sand. If it is mites, I know the vet can treat them, and also, by taking him for a wellness check, you then will have an established .relationship with the vet, should you ever need one.
    Ahh, sorry for the late reply! No, she hasn't been picking at her feathers and when I observe her/her cage closely I don't see any black specs. Could it be stress related? I've only had her a week starting today and she is very unsure/territorial with me. If I walk past her cage, there's a 50/50 chance she'll rush over and bite at the bars. She eats and drinks normally, droppings are normal, and her activity levels are high I.E. she plays with her favorite bell toy for most of the day with an occasional nap here and there.

I did plan to get some mite spray and treat her anyways just in case, I've just been waiting for pay day as I get paid on a bi-weekly basis.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I've seen female budgies with ceres like that. It's been a very long time since I've had budgies. But, in my humble opinion, she looks like an older bird. The older the females get, the more wrinkled their ceres seem to get.

Geez! At 71 years old, wouldn't I just love it if only one part of my body got wrinkled!!!!! LOL!

But Ellen is right about bringing her to an avian vet. Even if it's for a well bird checkup, it's a great idea. I did have one female budgie that got air sac mites that affected her cere. The air sac mites can't be seen because they're so tiny. They invade the respiratory system of the bird and the cere shows the damage. They're not like typical mites and they don't affect the exterior body so you wouldn't see her excessively preening or scratching.

Just a really good idea to get it checked out.

Please keep us posted on how it goes! Thanks!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Markus
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
    I've seen female budgies with ceres like that. It's been a very long time since I've had budgies. But, in my humble opinion, she looks like an older bird. The older the females get, the more wrinkled their ceres seem to get.

Geez! At 71 years old, wouldn't I just love it if only one part of my body got wrinkled!!!!! LOL!

But Ellen is right about bringing her to an avian vet. Even if it's for a well bird checkup, it's a great idea. I did have one female budgie that got air sac mites that affected her cere. The air sac mites can't be seen because they're so tiny. They invade the respiratory system of the bird and the cere shows the damage. They're not like typical mites and they don't affect the exterior body so you wouldn't see her excessively preening or scratching.

Just a really good idea to get it checked out.

Please keep us posted on how it goes! Thanks!
    She honestly doesn't seem bothered and is otherwise in excellent health in my opinion. The person who gave her to me said she was two with her birthdate being May 5th, 2016 but I'm not sure as I have no clue where she obtained the bird initially so Edgar could be older for all I know, haha! I'm ordering some Scalex along with her new cage and toys and gonna give everything a spritz down just in case.

I'm also monitoring her closely for any changes in breathing, etc. but so far she seems happy and healthy. She loves bopping her bell then scooting away and 'yelling' at it which is my current background noise as I type this! At any rate, I'll update if there's any negative changes. Also, would a regular vet work the same? The closest Avian vet to me is over an hour away and I sadly do not drive for personal reasons.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

Since you have only had her a few days, and as long as she is eating and drinking, playing with her bells, and seems to be happy in her environment, give it some more time. Take it day to day for now. Each day she will become more comfortable in new home and will begin bonding with you. Were you told how old she is? I agree with Pat that she really looks older than a baby of about 6-9 months, because usually the cere will not be brownish until she begins puberty and hormones at about 9-12 months.

The avian vet wellness check can always be considered. We will welcome updates anytime.

Remove Ads