Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Mites ?

Thanks

Mites ?

Is this normal for budgies ? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by mintbird; 08-28-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Re: Mites ?

Not really 'normal'. However, you can tell if there's mites by doing these things:
    1. Place a new white cage tray liner on the bottom of the cage just before you turn off the lights.
    2. Place a white sheet over the cage for the night.

Check the paper and sheet in the middle of the night to see if there are any insects. Mites leave the birds at night and you can actually see them on white material. If you don't see any mites, then the chances are great that your bird doesn't have them.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I cannot do that now as it is almost 12am and my budgie is already asleep. His legs look really scaly with beige bits on his feet. I have considered getting a mite spray and washing his cage throughly with vinegar and water tomorrow. I often see him preening and scratching his face, rubbing his face on the cage, but I’m not sure if it is too much preening.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I wouldn't use a mite spray directly on your bird.
    What my vet had recommended years ago was to thoroughly wash the cage with a diluted bleach solution outdoors. Or you can use your vinegar wash method instead. Make sure to put your bird in a different cage. It's always a good idea to have what they call 'hospital' cages on hand for when you need to either clean the cage or keep your bird quiet in a smaller cage if he gets sick.

Before putting the bird in another cage, I would take the bird and carefully put a drop of Dawn dish detergent (just a drop!) on a washcloth, wet the cloth and give the bird a bath, being careful not to get any soap in his eyes or mouth. I just put the bird in my kitchen sink in a bowl with gently running water. That should clean off what is on your bird.

The Dawn dish soap is fine for birds. They use it a lot in rescuing birds from oil slicks and other dirty situations.

You can spray a mite spray around the area where the cage is situated while the cage is being cleaned. Make sure to vacuum well, too.
    What I do is I put a bird-safe spray on the cage tray, let it dry and place your cage paper over it. That way, your bird will have the benefit of the mite spray but will not be in direct contact with it. I've used this method for years with my birds with no harm. My birds didn't have mites but I got a batch of seed mix that had moths which were hard to eliminate.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Thanks

In the midst of trying to clean him with the towel, he got really stressed out at my hands, now he is a little afraid of my hands and I think that affected our bond. He is okay with stepping up but not really keen as before on me giving him scritches. He also flew into a window, so I think today is a really stressful day for him. He is now in the cage resting, hopefully I will be able to repair my bond with him. Thanks for your reply.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

That happens, so I wouldn't worry about your bond with him. Birds get annoyed when they are handled in a new way. But, they settle down in a day or two. That's a good idea to let him rest in the cage. Glad you got him cleaned up.

How is he doing with regard to the itching now that you cleaned him?

Thanks

I donít see him trying to scratch himself as much, but I still have to further observe him for the next couple of days.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Sounds great! Looks like it might have worked. Here's hoping!

Thanks

Today I woke up and observed his feet and his beak. His feet definitely had lesser and smaller beige bits as before but the line on his beak still remains. So it definitely helped , he also seemed much happier today, heís jumping around in his cage. Is there a limit to how many times I can use the soap?

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I wouldn't use it very often. I'd probably use it once a month. You can give him water baths. My birds love to take baths every day. Budgies love baths. Do you give him a shallow dish to bathe in? You can teach him to enjoy water in the kitchen sink, too. That will help to keep him free of whatever's bothering him.

Remove Ads