Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Wolfie talks!!! Yay!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Wolfie talks!!! Yay!

Hi all,

Little Wolfie Barry James, my little disabled cockatiel, is TALKING!
    He's a sick little boy approaching a year old and is still needing to be hand fed. Dr. Nemetz says he most likely has stunted internal organs. But the doctor had said I'm doing a great job caring for him.

Wolfie is fully flighted and cannot fly. Most likely this is because his insides hurt too much. But, he's a happy little boy overall and gets around well in his big cage with his baby 'brother' Smokey Bear, who's 2 1/2 months old.

Both of the birds can say 'Barry'. That's what they call when they want me. But, today little Wolfie was sitting by himself looking out the window and singing. He has a beautiful singing voice. And, today I heard him repeatedly say 'Baby Bird' very very clearly!

The reason this is so special is because the cockatiels are in their cage almost all the time because I've been very sick with allergies that are out of control. I take them out for a brief time once a day and I'm not used to giving such little time to my precious birds. For little Wolfie to be talking so clearly with such little attention from me speaks of his happiness here. He's learning my 'song'.

It's always special when our birds start talking. I always look at it as an indication of flock acceptance. Learning the flock calls of their families is very important to birds. And when they learn to say our words, they are actually learning our flock calls. It's a precious event, in my opinion. It humbles me to hear a bird repeat my flock call.

And for a little disabled bird like Wolfie to be giving my flock calls is touching my heart and soul. That's why I had to share with all of you this precious event.

OMG! I just heard little Smokey Bear say 'Baby Bird'!!! Wolfie is teaching Smokey to sing. I watch them together. And, Smokey is right now singing Wolfie's songs. His 'Baby Bird' is not as clear as Wolfie's. But it's readily clear that's what he's saying. I'm so happy!!
    Last edited by DesertDweller; 08-29-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Wolfie talks!!! Yay!

This is so special and sweet they both are talking. Tikki is a little yacker here and says all kinds of things but the most special thing he does is blow you perfect smacking kisses. I just love them. I love birds voices but it seems to me when they are talking they are just so happy doing it. Wolfie is such a special bird and he is very lucky you found him and took him home. He has a great vet whom I myself have heard about how great he is and also he has you to pamper and love him.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thank you, Deanna for the kind words. It is special. I wish I could meet little Tikki. That's so sweet that he blows you kisses. My little Misty used to blow his nose, LOL. I taught him that, hahaha! Better kisses blowing than nose blowing!
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Wolfie is just to precious "baby bird" cuteness overload for sure.. and teaching Smokie makes them even more special. Your fids are ao lucky to have you Pat!!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thanks, Carolyn. It's so cute to see the 'class sessions' that Wolfie holds with his student. Wolfie stands on a perch in front of Smokey, who stands slightly lower than the teacher. Wolfie sings and Smokey listens with his little pony tail straight up, paying close attention. Then, when the class is over, Smokey goes to the play area and practices on his own while teacher Wolfie takes a break.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

These two have an AWESOME journey ahead with you as their mom! They are so luckjy to be with you!