Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New budgie - still settling in or unwell?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Post New budgie - still settling in or unwell?

Hello Tailfeathers community!

I have a few concerns about my new budgie Buttons. I've never owned a bird before so I'm unsure as to what I should and should not be concerned about. I'm deciding to ask on here as my google searches have come up short.
    I got him two days ago, as of yesterday he seemed to be settling in rather well. We found out he really likes the song Balaclava by Arctic Monkeys, and apart from when that song is playing, he's very... quiet. I did a lot of research before buying a budgie and I read that they are incredibly chatty. Is he quiet because he's still settling in or is he feeling unwell?
    Another thing to go along with my worries is that I've noticed he's preening an awful lot today, and I've noticed a couple of feathers have fallen out. He's looking a little fluffy, which I read can mean he's sick- however he's breathing and eating perfectly fine. I looked at his eyes, beak and little nose holes and they were all normal (from my research, anyway). Yesterday, he ate off my finger and tried some apple (which he loved), today he won't even try it.
    As I mentioned previously, he's not been very talkative since I got him, so I can't really judge based off how loud he's being. He's got toys in his cage too, and the only one he really likes and entertains is his swing perch. He doesn't like eating when he knows someone is watching him and, when he does chirp or sing, he stops if we watch him.

Am I being paranoid? I understand it might take ages for him to settle in, but I just really don't want him to be unhappy. I got him from the same place I get all small pets- I know they're trustworthy and they said he's in good health... so if he's got sick I know it's my inexperienced fault . I just really hope it's me being paranoid!

Erica

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: New budgie - still settling in or unwell?

Hi, and welcome to you and Buttons! I feel he is doing great, considering the short amount of time he has been with you. Budgies are hardy and loving little birds. They love their swings, and mirrors, and toys, and especially eating, drinking, and loving treats, such as millet.

The loss of a few feathers is normal, and you will find they are always preening. Some also grind their beaks in contentment. And yes, they LOVE music, especially soft classical, or even Latin music. It sounds to me like he is very content with you a!ready. All birds are afraid of hands, especially when we first get them. As long as his poos are good and he is eating and drinking, not !ethargic, or very, very puffed up, with loose droppings, not eating, sometimes even setting on the cage bottom, eyes closed. Sometimes discharge from eyes or nostrils, I think you are good to go with him.

I know the feeling of unease we have when we first bring them home. We immediately fall in love with therm! I know those feelings so well.

If I were to suggest something it would be to get him a mirror. Unlike some parrots, budgies can p!ay with mirrors, and it will not cause increase in hormonal behavior as they get into puberty. Right now, the mirror would be a great mirror girlfriend for him, a pal in his cage. And he is too young for hormonal behavior now anyway.

Please feel free to stop by anytime and give updates. And we love pictures. Wishing you the very best journey with Buttons.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-02-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Thank you for the warm welcome and reassuring words Heís good with everything you mentioned... so I am a paranoid parent lol!
    He has a mirror, weíve tried to catch his attention with it, he doesní entertain it one bit so far. But Iíll keep it in there for if he changes his mind!
    Thank you so much for your reply, itís really eased my worries

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, I am a budgie lover of many, many, years and have had them in my home. I also bred a pair a few years ago, unexpectedly, because I thought I had 5 males, but one day a pair of them fell jn love, and Buttercup laid an egg while on a perch. That was a big surprise for sure. I separated the pair from the other 3" males, and put them in a separate cage, gave them a nest box, and the mom laid four eggs, and all eggs hatched. She had beautuful babies. Two looked like mom and two like dad.

You are always welcome to come and ask questions and or concerns you have. I hope you can post pics after he settles in more. He really is doing great and so are you!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Welcome to you and Buttons! I LOVE the name Buttons!!

Yep, as Ellen said, he's acting normal. It sounds like you have a beautifully behaved bird. I am very impressed that he ate from your hand. He's going to be a great friend and companion to you pretty soon. You're so lucky!

It takes a few weeks for a budgie to get into the swing of things in his new home. Two days is not a long time. I betcha he's quiet now because he's studying everything in his new home - getting to know the lay of the land, so to speak. He needs time to think about stuff and process all these new sounds and sights. Everything is new and strange to him.

Like Ellen said, if his eyes are clear, his poo is good, he's eating well and stuff, he's fine. If he's preening a lot, he's just showing that he's getting more contented being with you. What may be a lot of preening in your opinion may be perfectly normal. Once Buttons discovers other things to do, he may not devote so much time to preening.

Keep us posted on his progress. I can't wait to hear you tell us how wonderfully tame and affectionate he is!!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Ah that's a beautiful story! Baby budgies just warm up the heart .
    I've been incredibly busy lately which explains the late update... But he's now sitting on my shoulder and eats from my hand- he's also found his voice and on one occasion he said "hello", can't seem to get it out now lol.
    And as for pics... he's VERY camera shy at the moment, however I managed to snap one the other day, I can't figure out how to upload the photo in my post

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Ah thank you, and thank you for your reply!

He has quite a few black spots which just reminded me of Buttons... The name was fitting!
    For the most part he's very good, he screams at us when he wants his favourite songs playing (it was trial and error before we figured out WHAT the screaming was for exactly).
    I try to incorporate fruit and veg into his diet (I read that they need some), and he throws it all on the floor .
    Due to being in college and working, I haven't been able to update as much as I'd like to, which is why my reply is so late. He's now rather comfortable on my finger, and just today he sat on my shoulder. It's so reassuring to have people on here to advise a new owner, I'm very panicky and so any little thing makes me worried about him . He also said hello once, doesn't seem to want to say it again.
    From what both you and Ellen have said, he's in perfectly good health. I am just a living stress ball lol!
    Honestly, he's a wonderful little thing. My mum's afraid of birds and she likes him, he must be a real charmer.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

. Wow!! Buttons is amazing! It is apparent he is right at home with you, comfortable, and loving you and his environment. I expect a great and awsome journey for the two of you!! Yes, they sure do talk! My Muffin, who will be 7 years old soon, says. What cha doing...are you doing ok? He heard me say that so often when I first got him, he started to say it, and still says it all the time!

We will welcome your updates any time. Thanks for sharing!! The best to you and Buttons!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

WOO HOO! Yay, Buttons! You tell your mommy that you're fine, and you're a great little guy! YAY!
    That's wonderful that he's sitting with you on your shoulder. If he said hello once, you can be absolutely sure he's gonna be a big talker before you know it. They 'practice' quietly when they think nobody's listening, LOL. So, it's a fabulous thing that he shared a hello with you. That means you are already very special to him.

I am sooooo excited to hear about you and Buttons developing your relationship! Thank you for saying you appreciate us being here to give you help. And, a big thank you to you for sharing the experience with us! It's a really wonderful warm fuzzy feeling to hear stories about people developing their relationships with their birds. You'll see what I mean when you spend more time here. It's like we can be 'flies on the wall' just watching these beautiful experiences unfold!

Congratulations on the achievements so far. There will surely be plenty more pretty soon that you will love!! Keep on sharing, please...
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Remove Ads