where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Surprise eggs

Name
    Johanna
    Thanks

Surprise eggs

Hi everyone.

So i have around 10 months old female budgie, got her a friend some time ago.
    They have been getting along too nicely apparently .
    Breeder was sure that the other budgie is female too, since i wanted 2 female budgies.
    Something around couple weeks ago i wake up my birds as usual (take the cover off on the cage) couple minutes and i see this new budgie is mounting my Bluebell lol
    Have been going for several days now that they are mating and "kissing"
    And this morning i found an egg in their food bowl O_O and Bluebell is sitting on it really most of the day.

Confused if they are just girls and both in the breeding mood or if this new arrival is actually a male

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: Surprise eggs

You would need to do a dna test on the other budgie to be sure, but I highly suspect you have a pair. If you want any eggs to hatch, you will need to get a wooden nest box at the petshop to use for the nest. A bowl or other type nest will not work, especially a happy hut or tent will not work. Your budgie, quite honestly, is way too young to be hatching eggs, in my view. You can boil any eggs, so they will not hatch. You cannot throw them out. The hen needs to keep her eggs for at least 25 days, or until she abandons them. If it were me, I would not breed them now, nor give them any nest at all, including the nest box. I would fold up a piece of paper towel and place it on the floor in a corner of the cage floor, and place any eggs you boil on that paper. No nests!!! They are too young. This info is my own opinion. I always say it is up to the caregivers how to care for their birds.

Name
    Johanna
    Thanks

Hello
    I am kinda sure that that egg is not fertile, did check it out this morning, and its full white inside nothing in there. I suppose she going to lay other one tomorrow if i am right that budgies lay eggs every other day?
    Did move the egg on paper towel and she seems really into it.
    They are way too young since this new friend is just 4 months old and still baby him/herself.
    Of course someday i wanted to breed budgies myself.
    Not now since i am going to have my own baby in 1 month so wont have the time for sure

And its really rainy season in my country atm, so that wont help either, to calm their nesting business. And this weather is going to last at least 2-3 months in a row.
    Last edited by Nayita; 09-08-2018 at 02:44 AM.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Two female birds will behave as a couple, and either one or both might be stimulated to lay eggs.
    Male birds don't have male organs like other animals. They simply exchange fluids from their cloacas.
    So, you might want to check if the other bird is female. I suspect you might have 2 girls, LOL.
    I'd love to know!

A few months ago I got 4 finches. The Gouldians were easy to see they were male and female, but I didn't know the genders of the Society Finches. That is, until I found 11 eggs in a little canary nest I gave them to sleep in. Both of the birds laid eggs together. About half of the eggs were large and the rest were a little smaller. All of the eggs were infertile. Those silly girls!!

By the way, congratulations on your upcoming blessed event! Best wishes and happiness with your growing family!!!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Johanna
    Thanks

Did add a picture, about my new budgie. Its old photo from a breeder who sold it Think its a female ? I really like the pastel coloured budgies. Those are not so easy to recognize if they are boy or girl i think.
    And thank you.

For sure i hope they both dont start to lay eggs lol. They act like a couple, groom,kiss and "mate" but that mating seems more like,
    that the other one just walks on the other ones back and then jumps off. No butt touching involded like with real bird mating.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I wish you the best life ever with your new baby, arrivung in a month! Awwww! That is sooooooo special! Keep us posted sbout the egg laying as long as you can. I know you will be super busy when the new baby arrives!!

Name
    Johanna
    Thanks

As i suspected, now there is a second egg on the paper towel So i think shes going to do many more, and it wont stop with these 2 eggs so far. She is really getting protective too towards her egg spot ><
    And for some reason my old cockatiel is going weird too, keeps screaming nonstop if i leave her alone in the room.

I try to check the eggs after 4 days or more if they are fertile or not, since im not sure if the other budgie is a male or female.
    Last edited by Nayita; 09-09-2018 at 05:24 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, she will be very protective of her eggs. Hens can lay as many as 6-8 eggs in a clutch. It could be she is older thsn you thought she was as well. Your cockatiel could be going into hormones, since it is fall season soon. Fall and spring that often hapens and tiels can sure be loud and screaming!

Name
    Johanna
    Thanks

Seems all my birds are really hormonal right now, hoping they all wont start to lay eggs
    Since they are in the same cage all of them. And just this evening Bluebell made a 3 egg
    Starting to get worried how this will turn out.
    Think Bluebell maybe be older than i think, since i got her from the pet store last winter, they did guess that she is around 3-4 months old.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    AMRINDER SINGH BAINS
    Thanks

HI guys,

This is my first post and need a help in this case. I bought 8 budgies (2 hens and rest males) from someone's home and I put them in my Avery which has one nesting box. Today I found one hen is about a lay eggs and she remains in the nest. I saw her bottom gland was bit red and swallow as she was climbing the cage. I have no idea who is her mate but sometimes one male budgie sits on the perch of the nest ( Hopefully he is her man. Please tell me do I need to put both of them in separate cage so that no other should harm the eggs or is it too late. What extra diet should I give her? and what is the process after she lay eggs .

Your comments shall be highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the community. Yes, if it were me, I would take the nest box, and put it and the pair in their very own cage. I do not think the move should hurt the eggs at this early date, and your pair will have privacy, and be safe from the other birds interfering in the process. Feed plenty of cuttlebone to them, along with fresh leaf lettuce, and fresh chopped veggies or thawed veggies. Also, fresh chopped apples. Do not feed budgies any cabbage family veggies, including, cabbage, broccoli, kale, and parsley. All of these have a phyto chemical in them that can cause tumors in esophagus of all budgies. We will welcome updates.

Remove Ads