Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Introduction to Mango, Kiwi, Maui & Capri

Brand New Egg
    Name
    insh
    Thanks

Introduction to Mango, Kiwi, Maui & Capri

Hello,

This is our first time posting on here and we would like to introduce ourselves and our birds. We are Insh & Rox and are owners to 4 amazing lovebirds. Mango (1st Pic) and Kiwi (2nd Pic) are both 2 years 3 months old and Maui (3rd Pic) and Capri (4th Pic) is both 1 year and 4 months old. We got Mango and Kiwi when they were 4 weeks and 5 weeks old and Maui and Capri when they were 3 and a half and 4 weeks old. They are extremely fun loving and very spoiled.

When we got Mango and Kiwi we were told by the breeder they were most likely male and female and ended up after DNA sexing that they were both male. They had an amazing first year very tame mango with his sometimes too hard preening of our lips and ears but very loving. They are very comfortable with us however with other people or when we take them outside they are very timid and often hide in our shirts or sleeve and just wants to get back inside the house. They are also very trained as well and come to us on command. When they were almost a year they started (mainly Mango) humping our heads...lol my wife Rox's hair when she puts it in a bun then we thought to get two females for them. We went back to the breeder and purchased Maui and Capri with assurances that they were both female. As it turned out with DNA sexing they were both males as well. but we grew close very fast and didn't want to exchange them. They were all in the same cage and after approx a few months Maui and Capri started taking over the cage. I think when they were babies Rox and myself kept putting our hand between mango and kiwi and the new babies so they stayed away that when they were put in the same cage and maui and capri came close they would pull away. To this day it seems like Maui and Capri own the cage because Mango and Kiwi will leave when they come.

Fast forward until Maui and Capri were 1 year exactly and about 3 months ago Rox found an egg in Maui and Capri's bed (hanging snuggle tent). We assumed they were males so didn't pay attention to take out the bed and the egg fell and cracked. Over the course of the next two weeks she laid an additional 7 more eggs. We called the vet and they tested the blood on file again and still came back as male and said it was due to their mutation not being picked up. We removed Mango and Kiwi and put them in another cage and Maui and Capri ended up having 6 babies hatch. I will attach pics later. We did sell all babies.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    insh
    Thanks

Re: Introduction to Mango, Kiwi, Maui & Capri

Brand New Egg
    Name
    insh
    Thanks

One more thing after selling all babies we put all four back in the same cage. During their time apart we often put Maui in the same cage as the other males and left Capri with her babies. Maui in the end became very desperate to spend time with the babies as we pulled them but kept them in the same room and Maui would often flip over his food or drink container and then wait at the door and as soon as we open he would fly to the babies and start feeding or preening them while we cleaned up the mess. Capri tended to become distant to the babies once pulled sometimes seeming like she would attack or beak the babies. Also when we pulled the first two babies we pulled the third one a few days later and then the fourth who was smaller a day after. The first three grew up to 4 and a half weeks and were close but when we sold the first two (all babies went in pairs) the third one grew depressed and didnt want to eat or play just sat in the corner and put their head down. In the end we sold 2 to a family member and 2 to a co worker and the other 2 went to someone on kijiji. All babies are doing great.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum!! Your birds are all very beautiful birds. That is sad your DNA test turned out to be wrong but it least you made the best of it and raised some beautiful babies. I rarely here of DNA testing to be wrong but it happens. I have seen it happen here once before. I will be looking forward to seeing your beautiful birds and you here and reading there stories.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,290 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the community! Your flock is gorgeous, and I love all the names you chose for them. Baby birds feel the warmth of mom and each other, so in my view, when the third baby did no longer have its siblings in the nest or cage, I am sure it missed them. And dad flew to feed them! Awwww!!! Soo sweet!!!!

You did a great job finding good homes for the babies. Thanks for sharing your story. We hope to see you here often.