Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie just fell off perch and is now unable to get up

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Budgie just fell off perch and is now unable to get up

About an hour ago my friend's budgie crashed to the floor of its cage and was then unable to get up. Since falling, this once feisty bird has been sat cradled in my friend's lap with its rather limp legs stretched out behind it. We are not sure how old it is but it may be 6 to 8 years old. I know very little myself about this bird or budgies in general so I am unable to give much insight into its recent or past history. My friend wonders if the budgie has had a stroke or something. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Update: After a couple of hours we dripped a few drops of water into the side of its mouth after which it promptly stood up on one leg resting its side against my friend hand; it held its other leg up and back as though injured. It then flew off and crashed into the curtains where it hung by one leg until rescued. It flew off again only this time crashing to the floor after fluttering into the wall. It is now sat between two rolls of bubble wrap in a box in its cage eating some millet, hopefully it will still be alive come morning.

After flying off we noticed that its poo(?) was milky yellow and runny, it is normally black and white. Over the last few days my friend noticed that its poo, although black and white, seemed more liquid than usual so she gave it some Johnson's Avol Mixture in its drinking water.
    Last edited by tamarisk; 09-17-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Name
    Becca
    Thanks

Re: Budgie just fell off perch and is now unable to get up

I honestly think the best course of action would be to take the budgie to the local avian vet. It sounds like your friend's budgie could have had a stroke, or maybe came in contact with rust. It could be a number of things, and the best way to insure that the budgie isn't in a life-threatening situation is to have a vet check out what's going on.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry for you and this poor birds owner. It must of been scary and sad seeing this bird in distress like this. I too wonder if it was a stroke or maybe even a heart condition. Either way I too advice a again vet checkup if it can make it through the night. It is shocking how it got up after the drop of water in its mouth. I never heard of poo that color but its obvious this poor bird needs help.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

It seems to have spent the night supported by the bubble wrap in the box, which is sat on the cage floor. When the covers were taken off the cage this morning it climbed the bars and sat on its favourite perch but predominately on one leg with the injured(?) one beneath it rather than stretched out toward its rear as before. Since early this morning its been climbing around, eating and drinking and appears to be putting a little weight in the injured(?) leg, so hopefully just a sprain. I expect its owner will contact the vet today.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thank goodness it seems to be feeling better today. I hope it continues to keep on getting better.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads