Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Smokey Bear's Amazing Vocabulary!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Smokey Bear's Amazing Vocabulary!

Hi All,
    Little Smokey Bear is now 3 months old. He's been taking lessons in talking and singing from his older 'brother' Wolfie Barry James. But, now it appears that he's just learning stuff on his own.

He's developing an amazing vocabulary. I've never heard so many words coming from any bird this young. He's such a smartie-pants. I probably can't remember all the stuff he says, but I'll list what I can remember:
    Baby Bird
    Barry James
    Come here
    Kissmo baby (that's a funny one)
    Twinkle, Twinkle, Twinkle
    Smart
    Smokey
    Smokey Barry James
    Gimme Kissie

I think that's a lot of stuff for a little guy who just turned 3 months old. And, he's doing heart wings already. I told Jeff that and he was surprised that such a young cockatiel would already be doing heart wings. If I hadn't gotten Smokey Bear when he was a featherless 2 week old baby, I'd think he was older. But, I have proof he's just 3 months old.

He keeps coming up with new words every day. I wonder how big his vocabulary will be???
    Honestly, the 2 cockatiels spend virtually all of the time in their big cage. When they come out, they stay right on my shoulders. I have never kept a parrot in a cage like this before, but I've been under the weather and spending time working with Benny Francis, the 6 month old amazon. Smokey Bear and Wolfie Barry James go right back in their cage when I want them to. They're very comfortable there.

I'm thoroughly amazed at how clear Smokey Bear speaks. I think of the dormouse from Alice in Wonderland when I hear Smokey say 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Twinkle'. And, when he said his name and said 'Smart' I was taken by surprise.

If you look at the list of things he says, you'll see that he has a wide range of pronouncing things, so I'm wondering if you guys can make suggestions for what I can say around them that Smokey may find interesting that might be unique. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,156 Posts

Re: Smokey Bear's Amazing Vocabulary!

I think you have training and caring for birds right down to rocket science! I do not think there is a limit to a bird's vocabulary. I think what determines it most is his awesome environment and your love for him! It is no different than a baby who has caring and loving parents. My son was only 6 weeks old when I took him for his first Doctor visit, and I had purchased a small plastic picture book with nursery rhymes. And from then forward I was always reading to him and showing him pictures. At 18 months of age, he could recite all the nursery rhymes. And reading was one of his most favorites. I remember him loving soo many books. And loved school from day one! He obtained an MBA in college. So, I would say for Little Smokie, the sky's the limit. And....be sure to let us know when he gets his BMBA degree!!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    I think you have training and caring for birds right down to rocket science! I do not think there is a limit to a bird's vocabulary. I think what determines it most is his awesome environment and your love for him! It is no different than a baby who has caring and loving parents. My son was only 6 weeks old when I took him for his first Doctor visit, and I had purchased a small plastic picture book with nursery rhymes. And from then forward I was always reading to him and showing him pictures. At 18 months of age, he could recite all the nursery rhymes. And reading was one of his most favorites. I remember him loving soo many books. And loved school from day one! He obtained an MBA in college. So, I would say for Little Smokie, the sky's the limit. And....be sure to let us know when he gets his BMBA degree!!
    That's an awesome story about your son! Wow! Eighteen months of age and he could recite all the nursery rhymes! Again, WOW!

The thing is, my house is essentially quiet except for me talking. I just barely started to turn the volume up on the tv so Benny Francis could hear it. He's so quiet that I'm trying to get him stimulated to vocalize. I use headphones when I watch tv.

I think it might have helped little Smokey Bear and Wolfie Barry James to learn my 'song' more quickly without me realizing it. They only heard my words and at their young ages, they paid attention to learn the song of their flock leader (or mommy).

Got me to wondering if maybe the reason that cockatiels normally start talking at 6 to 8 months of age is because they hear so many sounds and a jumble of words from several people in their homes that they struggle to figure out which 'songs' they're supposed to learn from the flock. In my house, there's only 1 voice and 1 set of 'songs', so I think Smokey and Wolfie are finding it a lot easier to figure out what they're 'supposed to' learn. But, golly! Three months of age and he's already surpassed my little Misty Pierre, and I thought Misty was a great talker. Smokey also speaks much more clearly than Misty ever did, and he already speaks more words and phrases than Misty.
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Perhaps it is his species. I feel the higher evolved a parrot is, the more ability he or she has to vocalize and talk or mimic. But I truly believe it is us, the caregivers, that set the tone for learning and for their daily lives. And I also agree that having a quiet one person home is a p!us. I p!ay classical music on my TV for my birds, softly, most of the day. Something about classical calms them, whereas the newscasters talking, or loud TV just is not their favorite. Cartoons and Disney Channel are also my birds favorite. They like kid voices from those!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

He is one smart bird!! I have to agree with Ellen that it might be his species of bird. I know African Greys and certain Amazons have very clear voices and boy can they say tons of words. Mango don't talk much but when he does his voice is very clear. I met a African Grey that could say so much I was shocked he even said sentences which I never heard before. At Marine World they had a Amazon who sang songs!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Little Smokey Bear keeps on amazing me. Every day he says something new. My friend, who initially noticed Wolfie Barry James in the store, always gives attention to the birds - especially his Wolfie. He always says 'hey boo boo, what you doing boo boo!' My friend hasn't been here for over a week. But today little smartie pants Smokey Bear said 'hey boo boo' just like my friend.

I'm wondering how far Smokey Bear's vocabulary can grow. They say cockatiels don't have large vocabularies. But they also say that cockatiels don't begin to talk until they're 6 to 8 months old. Smokey Bear just turned 3 months of age.

Also they say that the heartwings thingie that male cockatiels do is hormonal. Smokey Bear is far too young to be hormonal and he loves doing heartwings. My little Misty Pierre didn't start that until he was a year old. Go figure!!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I found out what Smokey Bear is saying when he says 'kissmo'. He finally got the sound perfected today. He's saying 'little star'.
    This morning he put it all together and said 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'

Plus, when I sang the first line to him, he was almost getting the tune to whistle it as well!
    And, another cute first today: he said 'Smokey Bear' [pause] 'Barry Good Boy'

Aw, he's such a smartie pants! Every day, more surprises.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! Amazing!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Before you know it, Smokey Bear will be hosting his own show on Animal Planet... LOL!!! That is truly amazing Pat.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Here's a video of Smokey Bear talking.

https://youtu.be/tffT2HJ3C-o

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!!!!! Now that is amazing and sooooo neat!!! I hear ...twinkle...twinkle......loud and clear!!!

Fledgeling
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Appears you have one of the more intelligent birds. Do keep in touch here, as I, for one, am curious as to how many words he can learn. Also, whatever else he has a talent for. Thanks, Bill

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Love it!! Twinkle, twinkle, twinkle.. Smokey is a real beauty too.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thank you all! I love hearing him talk. His voice is so clear and sweet! That twinkle twinkle twinkle never gets old. I laugh every time I hear it. Fortunately, I hear it a lot.
    Hey, Bill! Haven't heard from you in a LOOOONG time!! Nice to hear from you again! Thanks for the nice comments.

Remove Ads