Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 20 days old baby cockatiel bird died.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    saif
    Thanks

20 days old baby cockatiel bird died.

my cockatiel baby which was around 20 days old died today. i really dont know why and how he died but i wanted to know how he died. because this is second time my bird died in the same manner. my cockatiel died today in sum what like same action which u can see in the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4KXPpBmUE
    last year also one of my cockatiel died in the same manner and today the same thing happened again. i really dont want this to be happens again and i really wanted to know what was causing this problem. please help me out guys.
    since yesterday he was breating heavily. he was not eating anything. most of the time his eyes were closed. he was not able to walk. looks like he was having problem in breathing. he was putting his head high towards sky. i took him to two vet in the evening, Avian veterinarian told me that give him vitamins and one poweder like subtance. which we had to make in the worm water and told me to give the drops thrice a day and told told me to feed the baby food with injection. so we came home and we fed him one injection baby food and after that his condition got worst, so we stopped for 2 hours and again when we tried to give him the drops he just starched his legs (like he was not able to breathe) and acted like the bird in the video and he died.
    i really cant take it. i cant see birds dying like this infront of me. please help me out figuring out what is the problem. what can i do to stop this. sum precaution that i can take it from now on.
    last time and this time i asked the same thing to avian vet but they did not told me. he should have have given him injection or sumthing but he did not.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

Re: 20 days old baby cockatiel bird died.

I am so sorry your baby cockatiel hss died. It is best for a breeder or a store owner to never sell s baby cockatiel, or any parrot species bird until they are at least 12 WEEKS old! Babies need to be with parents from day of hatch, and even after they are fledged snd perching, and have learned to eat seeds and drink water as well., for a few more weeks.

I sm surprised your Avian vet did not give you this info. In my view, your baby was far too young to be taking the injection or the shots. If you decide to try again, please find a bird that is well prepared for a new home, and is at least 12-14 weeks old.

Fly high and free over the rainbow bridge sweet baby!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm so sorry you're going through this grief with your baby birds. To me, it sounds like the baby aspirated on the baby food. Like Ellen said, nobody should sell a baby bird that is so young. I hope you do not buy another baby bird that young.

A bird that is ready to go to your home must be eating regular food. If the bird is on hand feeding, it is way too young for you to take home.
    There is a special technique to hand feeding baby birds. People need to be trained how to hand feed. The bird has 2 tubes in his throat, just like we do. One is for breathing, and the other is for eating food. Many, many people put the formula down the breathing tube and suffocate the baby. It sounds like this most likely happened with you.

Please only get a bird that is eating seeds on his own and drinking water, just like Ellen said. You will be much happier.

If someone is trying to convince you to get a young baby to hand feed because it will make a better pet, please do not believe them. Yes, hand fed birds make great pets, but all it will take is a tiny bit more training for you to have a wonderful companion bird if you get him when he's eating on his own. All he needs is to just get acquainted with you.

Tiny babies have what I like to call 'foggy minds'. They are not yet aware of anything but eating and sleeping. That's why they are easy to bond with you. Older babies who are eating on their own are more aware of what's going on in the world. That's all. So, all they need from you is a little help in getting to know the world with you as their friend and guide.

As you can see from my avatar photo, I do hand feed all my babies. But, I was trained and certified in how to do it.

Please know that my heart goes out to you and your poor babies. Hugs to you!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Brand New Egg
    Name
    saif
    Thanks

I m sorry for giving the half info. I already have a cockatiel pair. they had given birth to 3 cockatiel and two of then are healthy but one got suddenly ill. both father and mother were tried to feel the baby but he was not opening his mouth and thats why vet told us to feed the baby. me and my wife r good at feeding babies so i dont think that the problem is with the food or in the method of feeding. after the baby got ill, then only we stated feeding her otherwise just 3 days back he was looking normal and eating normally.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    saif
    Thanks

last time also one of the baby bird was ok for a month but after that she stated acting weard. she was not trained but she use to sit on my shoulder for hours. then suddenly she stated breathing heavily when ever we use to touch her. she was scared from everyone except other cockatiel. her beak and nails were also keeps growing. she use to breathing very heavily when ever we use to touch her & after like six moths my wife was putting her to the cage and she again stated breathing heavily and acted like she was not able to breathe and died. me and my wife did not give her to anyone bz we knew it she was the special case and she was my fav. baby of all time.
    now this is the second time this thing happened again.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    saif
    Thanks

any update guys. any suggestions ?

Remove Ads