Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is it safe to allow/wait for second clutch after first clutch was abandoned?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chloe
    Thanks

Exclamation Is it safe to allow/wait for second clutch after first clutch was abandoned?

Hi all,
    I am a first time breeder so I was very excited when my budgie laid her first egg! She ended up laying four in total. I thought all was well as she began to incubate them after the second egg.
    However she did lay the first three eggs three days apart instead of two, is that ok? Could that be a cause for her abandoning them?

After the fourth egg was laid she spent a bit more time outside the nest and then after about a day she stopped entering the nest completely. I have left the eggs for now, when should I remove them to avoid causing any stress?

Will and if so when will she look to lay a second clutch? She is still in breeding condition and both the hen and cock are still appear very healthy.

I was thinking of rearranging the cage so I have easier access to the nest because I am trying to avoid disturbing her if more eggs arrive

Ultimately I am looking for any advice to help on where I should go from now. Will my hen be abandon the next clutch??

Any advice will be much appreciated

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Is it safe to allow/wait for second clutch after first clutch was abandoned?

Did you take any eggs and candle them by flash light to see if they were fertile? It could be they were not. And further, budgie pairs new to breeding sometimes just cannot get the process to work for a time or two. Experience will help that problem.

Since she has abandoned the eggs, if it were me, I would remove the eggs and the nest box. Discard the eggs. And wait for a couple of months before putting the nest box back in the cage. Rearranging the cage is a great idea. Feed plenty of cuttlebone, a good quality seed mix, and plenty of chopped very fine\small size pieces of fresh veggies and fruit. Giving this diet to them will get their health in great shape, and prepare them for breeding again.

And, Nature has made hens very aware of problems with the eggs due to DNA, so your hen may have abandoned them because the embryos were not viable or had died inside the egg.. Since she laid the eggs 3 days apart, I suspect they were not fertile, and that too could have caused her to abandon the eggs. They should be laid every other day.

Ideally, a pair should be 1 1\2 to 2 years old, before breeding them. They will be more mature, and capable to have success in hatching the eggs.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-24-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chloe
    Thanks

Re: Is it safe to allow/wait for second clutch after first clutch was abandoned?

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post

Since she has abandoned the eggs, if it were me, I would remove the eggs and the nest box. Discard the eggs. And wait for a couple of months before putting the nest box back in the cage. Rearranging the cage is a great idea. Feed plenty of cuttlebone, a good quality seed mix, and plenty of chopped very fine\small size pieces of fresh veggies and fruit. Giving this diet to them will get their health in great shape, and prepare them for breeding again.
    Thank you so much for the help and if I were to wait a couple of months do you think that the hen may fall out of breeding condition (cere being dark brown) and if so how long will it take for her to be back in condition

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Hormones do come and go with all bird hens. I cannot answer when she would go back into hormones, but time is on your side. Often times Spring and Fall are breeding times, but I bred a pair of budgies a few years ago in February because hen had brown cere. The older your budgies are toward that 1 1\2 to 2 year age, I mentioned, the better for you. Maturity equals success with breeding. We will welcome your updates anytime.

Remove Ads