Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My budgies not moving and breathing rather heavily.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Abby
    Thanks

My budgies not moving and breathing rather heavily.

I just got my new budgie yesterday and im concerned with how hes doing. When we first got him in his cage he flew around and got on his swing. After a few minutes he got on a perch and stayed there. He ate some millet but everytime i looked over he'd stop and look at me. After a while he then started breathing heavily. And slightly bobbing his tail. I was sleeping just a few minutes ago and woke up to him breathing heavier. As i watch him now hes twitching a little when he breathes and im worried for his health condition. I just would like to know if this is normal for them when they're adjusting to theyre new home or if i should go get him checked out. Ive searched the internet for answers and came really short so i dont know where else to go but to ask someone with experience. I dont want the little guy to be sick and i just got him.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,230 Posts

Re: My budgies not moving and breathing rather heavily.

Hi, and welcome to the community. Did you purchase your budgie from a petshop or from a breeder. It does take a few days for them to feel more comfortable in their new home, and they may have loose poops, or few poops, since they sometimes do not begin to eat or drink for a day or so. Giving him the millet is super, because it has good nutrition, as well as moisture, and that helps him to not get dehydrated.

I would suggest, if you have not done so, to cover his cage in the daytime, three sides covered and front side open, with a sheet, or light weight blanket, and at night, cover all four sides, with the cover, leaving a few inches on front bottom open, and a night light in the room. Covering gives them a feeling of security. And also helps to keep them from getting drafts that may be in the home.

I do have some concern for the tail bobbing.and the heavy breathng. I would suggest you call an avian vet in your community and explain to them these concerns. Tell them you have just purchased him, and are worried about him. They will tell you if they feel he needs to be brought in for a wellness check.

We will welcome your updates anytime. Please keep us posted.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-28-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Abby
    Thanks

Hi and thank you for the warm welcome. I purchased her from a Pet shop and i just found out its a girl. I put the millet into the cage and she eats it a lot. She started drinking her water today but wont touch her seed. She sneezes sometimes and still breathes heavily. The tail bobbing has eased up and it is barely moving. She also scratches a lot and bites herself with her beak to scratch. My dad said that she coupd possibly be about to molt. Shes around 3 months old so im hoping thats the case and not that shes sick. Shes begining to get more active also. She'll get on my finger and fly off in the cage and play with her toys. Im hoping thats a good sign.
    Last edited by PurpleNightmare; 09-28-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It sounds to me like she is settling in nicely. Sometimes they do molt when we first get them. That can happen due to a new home, cage, and new food. You know to watch her carefully for signs of illness. Each day she will be more comfortable in her new home. We will welcome updates anytime!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Abby
    Thanks

Shes been eating so much more shes very talkative now. She loves my music that i listen to. She may even dance a little at times. I've finally let her out of her cage and she flies around and plays. She normally would stay on my finger, arm, or shoulder. But since i go to school i'm not around much. My mom plays and checks up on her but not as much as i did before i had to go back to school. Today is the 3rd day iv'e been gone for eight hours and she seems like she doens't want much to do with me. I really don't want to make my little birdie upset with me or not spend as much time with her as i did before. I cant just quit going to school so i cant really do anything about this but hope for the best. But if there is something i can do make sure shes not lonely all day or she doesn't miss me as much id really appreciate it.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Do not worry about her not paying as much attention to you. Some days they are willing to play more than others. Keep offering her millet when you are home! That will help! They love millet! I think she is doing really great, and so are you!!! Don't you just love her????? I love budgies!

+ Reply to Thread

Remove Ads