Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Incest in lovebirds? Help

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Exclamation Incest in lovebirds? Help

So, I was given 3 lovebirds by a family friend. 2 were blue and already together in a separate cage and one yellow collared in another cage. I kept them where they were and next thing you know, in a few months the blue lovebird couple laid eggs! There were about 4 eggs I believe, but only one hatched. I didn’t think much of it since I knew baby lovebird deaths aren’t uncommon. About 2 weeks in, I began to handfeed the baby and noticed it didn’t have a left foot! It was just a little stub mind you this, I am a new bird owner and did not know how common certain mutations were. A few weeks after, the birds feathers came in and it was all white, unlike the parents’ which were a bright blue. I started to contact this bird breeder on Instagram for advice and help, and she said that the parents were related and that caused its mutation! (The ig breeder was very educated - i also had no idea they were related when u got them) So I separated the baby from it’s parents once it learned how to eat by itself, and i was about to separate the couple so they wouldn’t make anymore babies. So i checked their nesting box to clean it out and there were new eggs, 5 to count. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to keep them to hatch. I don’t want the babies to be mutated and suffer. Then again, I’d feel horrible because I fell in love with my albino missing-footed birdie! I need opinions on what I should do. Should I throw the eggs away and separate the incestual couple or leave them until the babies hatch AND THEN separate them?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Incest in lovebirds? Help

You have a very hard decision to make. If you truly trust the breeder you talked to if it were me I would boil the eggs to make sure they do not hatch and put them back in the nest. Your next hard decision would be separating these two which is going to be so very hard for you and them as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

this decision is so hard, I don’t know if I want to keep the eggs to hatch or not

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

It would really upset me if I had to do it too and really I do not know if I could do it. Sometimes if the birds are young the first batch of eggs have troubles which could have been what happened to your babies foot. Just because the baby does not look like the Mom or the Dad it doesn't mean it has problems. I do not know genetics but I have seen two different colored lovebirds have one that comes out almost all white. I know one lovie that is almost all white with light blues in it and it is a very gorgeous bird.

I have to say if this was my birds and my eggs I would let the eggs stay and hope for the best. But then I am huge mush heart and just could not bear to take the eggs and kill the babies inside of it. I understand your pain in this decision and either way I think lots of here will understand what you do no matter what you decide.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Update: as hard as this decision was, I let the eggs cool and buried them in my garden. I did not want to risk another lovebird with a mutation (even if it wasn’t an issue, it would hurt me to see if a bird is suffering). Their first batch of eggs were 4 and only 1 hatched-which was the albino missing footed one. I moved the female one with the yellow collar and their cages are next to each other so they wouldn’t be depressed when separated. I’m extremely heart broken, Thank you for the advice though. <3
    Last edited by hsalyssa; 09-29-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks

I would not separate the pair. As long as they donít have a nest box, you can deal with any eggs accordingly. They are a bonded pair and should stay together.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I agree with your decision to separate the birds. The thing is, your happiness is of utmost importance. It's awful to have companion pets whose company you cannot enjoy because of their problems. Sounds like separating the birds will prevent unwanted broods, allow you to have peace of mind, and let the birds become your companions as you had first intended. The birds will overcome any bonding issues that might arise. In a short time you and the birds will be happy together. That's what's most important.

Yay to you Alyssa for doing what you believe is right for all of you.

@Tim: I would definitely agree with you regarding keeping the birds together since they were bonded - if Alyssa had the birds for breeding purposes. However, her life is miserable, so it seems, worrying about the birds when she should be able to enjoy their company. The birds will get accustomed to their new situation. For example, I had to rehome my birds when I thought I was allergic to them. (I found out too late that allergies were not from the birds). I still see my little cockatiel I had for 7 years. He was very attached to me. But he went to a little girl who got another cockatiel - a baby who she visited while he was being weaned. Now, when I see my old friend, he doesn't even care, LOL. He's super happy with his new family.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

It is not always incest. There could have been bad genetic markers with the parents. Also, some breeders over breed a pair, do not give them time to rest from a clutch and hatching, but allow them to breed again almost immediately. Also, the environment and living conditions should be top notch in the breeder aviary. The diet is super important and also the age of the breeding pair.

I feel sad for you and am sending you hugs((((((())))))))! And I totally support the decision you made to bury the eggs. And to keep them in separate cages. I totally admire you!

Remove Ads