Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help with Budgie Moulting!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Help with Budgie Moulting!

Hey there! I recently brought home 2 lovely budgies. A male and female. After a few days, the male is starting to eat (handfeeding, they havent gotten used to feed in a tray) and drink, but the female is eating very very little and only drinks when i offer a spoon of water. The female is moulting. She gets agitated easily and she is so skinny that i can see her chest bone sticking out sometimes. Im so worried for her. Any idea if her reactions and eating and drinking issue are due to her moulting?

They're both such beautiful birds Bought them hand tamed from a breeder I call the male Levi, and the female Trinity

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,156 Posts

Re: Help with Budgie Moulting!

Hi, and welcome to the community. Did the breeder verify their age? It is highly recommended that we bring birds into our home when they are at least 12-14 weeks old. Since you are still handfeeding them, it appears they are not that age. In my view, you need to contact the breeder and take them back to him or her, and allow them to be fed and taken care of by that person until such time they have fledged aka can fly, perch, and eat seeds and drink water, with no handfeeding necessary. They still need the warmth of their parents, in a safe nest box. And baby birds do not molt, they are just getting their feathers, so that is also a concern for me.

It is unfortunate that some breeders continue to sell baby birds too early after hatching, because we fall in love with them, which is only natural, and then something like you write happens, and we are at a loss of how to take care of them. Baby birds can starve very fast. So, I hope you contact the breeder immediately. They should have never sold them to you this way.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Well actually, the male is 2 years and the female 1 year plus xD they were hand raised by the breeder, and their feeding device is different from mine, so they dont know how to eat off the tray yet as theirs was a food dispenser, so for now im hand feeding them to get them to eat something at least xD thank you for the concern though! Im just worried for the female xD

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quite honestly, baby birds once fledged, perching and eating, should not need handfeeding, unless, for some reason, they are special needs birds, or birds that gain no weight, or thrive, without hand feeding. We have other members who have experience with these type of birds, so hopefully they will respond to you. It is unfortunate a breeder would sell any birds such as these to anyone without giving history of the birds, or why they have to be handfed at the age you shared.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Well when they came here they didnt eat for 3 days straight, i was so worried i started to place seed on my finger and they'd eat it from there. But true though, I agree. :P

Remove Ads