where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: RIP dear, wild Malcolm

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

RIP dear, wild Malcolm

I haven't been on here for a while.

I found one of my cockatiels, Malcolm, dead at the bottom of the cage about a week ago.

I brought Malcolm home to be a friend for Birdi Lou, my first bird. I don't know how old he was, because I got him from someone who worked at the bird vet, who was moving and couldn't keep him. She had brought him home after someone surrendered him to the vet's office. She'd had him 4 years. I had him for another 5 years. That makes him at least 9.

Malcolm was scared and untame. I never did manage to hand tame him. But that's OK, I just let him be himself once I realized it wasn't going to happen. After Birdi Lou died, he screamed for her for weeks. Poor boy. Then I got Henry, and then Beau, both male cockatiels. After a while I noticed that Malcolm was always with Beau. Best friends. I also have two male eclectus.

Like I said, he wasn't tame, but I was happy to see him happy, just hanging out and being a tiel.

It was very sudden. I came home and let the birds out of the cage, then lay down for a nap. When I woke up I saw that Malcolm was on the bottom of the cage, dead. No warning. I have no idea what happened. Fly free, dear Malcolm. I am sorry I have no idea what was wrong.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,156 Posts

Re: RIP dear, wild Malcolm

Hi, Tracy and welcome back! I am so sorry Malcom has died. I sure do remember Birdy Lou, and when you got Malcolm, and your other flock members. Do you still have your fish aquariums? They too were beautiful. Time does fly by. It seems only yesterday, and five years have flown by! I hope all is well with you otherwise!

Fly high and free over the rainbow bridge, Malcom! I am sending you hugs!

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie, glad to see you still here.

So you probably also remember that I have Rio, a male eclectus. And I am not sure if Beau came along after I stopped posting, but Beau is another cockatiel that came home with me in 2015. So for the longest time, I had Rio (eclectus), and Henry, Beau, and Malcolm (cockatiels). I never intended to get another eclectus, and I would not have planned to have two males together especially, but I began fostering one last year called Bobbi. He came from horrible conditions and it's a long story that I can tell another time, but he decided quickly that he wanted to stay. I formally adopted him this past spring. So now Malcolm is gone, I have two eclectus and two cockatiels (Beau and Henry).

I still have the 45 gallon aquarium. I also had the smaller aquarium for a betta. Firestorm, the last one I posted about, lived 2 and a half years and died this year. I got another one (I think that was in the spring) but he died after only a few months. Life got very busy so I have put away the betta aquarium for now as I don't feel I have the time to maintain it. I may take it up again when things settle down a bit. I moved 4 months ago and still don't feel I've finished moving in and getting sorted, and my mother got a cancer diagnosis so my life has been consumed scrambling to keep up with looking after her as well as my birds and myself.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,156 Posts

Awww! I am so sorry about your mom being diagnosed with cancer. It seems to me, that instead of decreasing cancer, it is increasing. Here, I read obits in the on line newspaper every day, and it seems younger women and men also are having the challenge. I will be praying for your mom!

I do remember your posts about Bobbi! You are so kind to foster, and often times adopt various species. Loving a bird, to me, is very, very special. Over the years, those I have homed, taught me many lessons of life.

We will always welcome your posts and updates. Stop by whenever you can do so.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Hi Tracy. I have been following you on social sites but wanted to say I am still thinking of you and your loss of Malcolm. I could never imagine the pain you feel finding your loved bird dead like you did with Malcolm. I guess in a way I am lucky that I actually had to take all my older sick pets to the vet and have them put down and never had to experience the shock of finding them dead. It has to be so hard on you. I am also very sorry that your Mom has cancer and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom.

It is good seeing you hear and I am sure the people here will love getting to you and your sweet flock.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads