Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sudden sickness

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Sudden sickness

So one of my budgies who is about four years old, has just fallen to the bottom of the aviary and had his wings spread out. When I put my hand in the cage, he made no effort to get away from me. I picked him up and he just sat in my hand. After a few minutes though, he did jump onto a perch. He definitely looks far from perfect still. This really concerns me since one of his babies is also experiencing leg paralysis. Are there any suggestions on how I might be able to help him? He was completely fine yesterday, jumping around, chatting and preening his mate. I also would like to know how much it would cost to take him to an avian vet. And also, should I separate him from the other birds? I understand that itís probably not contagious, but thought I might just ask anyways. And is there any way someone can recommend how I can treat him to give him the best chance of recovery?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,156 Posts

Re: Sudden sickness

Hi, and welcome to the community. My recommendation is to call an avian vet and ask them the cost of a visit, and also tell them what has happened to him. If they feel he needs a wellness check, they will tell you. Avian and other vets do have a pretty steep fee, so, ask them if they would take payments on an account.

What diet do you feed? Have you noticed this problem before now? Did he get along well with the hen laying and hatching her eggs? Does he help feed mom and the babies? Does he have loose poops, or watery poops. Is he all fluffed up, not eating or drinking? Does he stay on cage floor, not perching? Birds do hide illness very cleverly.

As to moving him, until you get some advice from a vet, I would not do so since they have babies! I think that will be very stressful for him. That is one of the several reasons to get a wellness check, because birds can pass bacterial infections to each other.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-06-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi, thanks for the advice. He actually passed away about an hour after posting this, and it causes me to believe it may have been something like a stroke. There were no signs of being ill before, and he got along very well with his mate and was a great dad. His babies have luckily fledged already, so it shouldnít really be a problem for them. The mother doesnít really seem fussed, she actually stopped interacting with him about an hour before this all happened. I believe she actually knew that he wouldnít make it. This is really annoying since he was such a nice bird! He has the most fluorescent green Iíve ever seen on a budgie, and had bright yellow wings with only very light patterns. He was also one of the friendliest despite not being hand reared. He was also the best male Iíve ever had. His first mate passed away suddenly as well, but I think it was from stress. She plucked out all of the feathers from under her wings.Thanks for the help, Iíll be sure to remember this just in case something like this happens again

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so sorry to read that your sweet bird died My thoughts are with you and sending you a big hug for your loss.

Fly free sweet baby...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,156 Posts

Awww! I am so sorry he has passed away! The mom and babies will do OK. She may miss him though, and be quiet, and not have a lot of energy for awhile. But thankfully, she has her babies!! I am sending you(((((((((hugs))))))!!!!!!

Fly high and free sweet baby! Over the Rainbow Bridge!!

Remove Ads