where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bonded budgie being controlling

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cameron
    Thanks

Bonded budgie being controlling

Hello everyone I just found this site and am looking for some insight into the way my birds are acting. I've had two budgies for a bit over two months now, Miguel and Tullio, and they are definitely bonded with each other but I'm worried it may have reached an unhealthy stage. Tullio is pretty active and independent and he does all the normal things I would expect. Miguel on the other hand won't do anything unless Tullio does it first and won't let him get more than a few inches away from him at anytime. Whenever I feed them millet on my hands to try and tame them Miguel will eventually start biting at Tullios feet until he jumps off and I just noticed a bit ago that whenever Tullio starts to get loud and vocal that Miguel will screech at him and actually nip at him until he stops. I think that may have been going on for a while without me noticing because I have noticed they are distinctly quieter than they used to be. Most of the time they are super lovey with each other and chew on each other beaks and preen one another and everything but I'm worried this behavior may prevent me from interacting with them fully and I don't know what to do. I should say I am not 100% on their genders, I think they are both males (hence the names lol) but they are still pretty young so I don't know.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Re: Bonded budgie being controlling

Hi, Cameron, and welcome to the community. Do you know how old they are? It could be one is older than the other, and that is the reason he is being more controlling of the other one. I would suggest, in order to keep your bond going with them, take one at a time out of the cage, and play with him! That way, you will not have to deal with this behavior, and both budgies will get play time with you.

Males do on occasion spar with each other. But they should not get to aggression such as pushing each other off the perch, or not allowing the other to eat or drink, or just being really mean. Since you say they get along well most of the time, I would not be real concerned right now. But, in the future, if too much aggression happens, you would need to put them in separate cages. I love their names!!! Please keep us updated.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cameron
    Thanks

Re: Bonded budgie being controlling

Thank you Ellen for the reply. As near as I can tell Tulio at least is between 4-6 months old ( he has bands down almost to his ceres) but Miguel is much more difficult since he is an albino. I got them both from petco at the same time because I noticed them preening each other a lot in the big cage and figured they must like each other. I will post a picture of them when I get a good one here in a bit, might be a good idea to get more opinions on their genders as well.

Remove Ads