Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Need Advice: Lonely Canary

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Need Advice: Lonely Canary

I had 2 canaries male and female. My male canary Coco passed away too soon he was only 1.5 year old. We got him as a replacement for our other male bird Rio who passed away in Feb this year. I'm not sure why the male Canaries seem to have organ enlargement issues. Rio had an enlarged liver and Coco had an enlarged abdomen and was regurgitating his food. Both these male Canaries were very active birds until the end. We were so heartborken when they passed away as we loved them so much and miss them a lot.

My Female bird is once again left alone and I'm not sure if I should get another Canary or any other bird for her. She used to get along with both the male birds as friends, they didn't mate or have any chicks. When I look at her I feel really sorry for her being alone and no other bird to interact with. Coco and she would fight sometimes but also get along with eachother. She was calling out to him for a couple of days but has now stopped. She comes out of her cage and flys but not as much as when they were two of them. She also sings and chirps very sweetly. Coco was only with us for 8 months and I'm not sure if I should get her another companion and put her through the same experience with what happened to the other two. She gets used to the company and then they are suddenly gone and she is left alone.

As for us we really miss both our male birds as they were both so interactive with us. Would fly to our hands with or without food. Sit on our arms and come and come to us to see what we are eating when we have a plate.

Would it be better to leave my female canary alone or should I get her a companion? What should I do for her now that she is alone? How do I keep her happy? We do talk to her but she isn't as active as our male canaries, she always seems to be afraid, though if we offer her something that she likes she will come and eat from our hand.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Need Advice: Lonely Canary

Males are more interactive by nature, since they the ones who generally are more outgoing and confident, defined as able to go into places or things unfamiliar. Anyway, canaries are solitary individuals in the wild and only come together in social groups for a short period and then again to mate. It is your call if you want another one, the hen won't care. We tend to think like humans, because we are, but that is not how birds think. Canaries again live perfectly fine on their own. If you have one who gets along well with another and have a cage large enough for two to cohabitate, all is fine.

I will ad we keep seeing more canary's die, exactly as you stated your two males did. Canary's eat seeds, bugs and plant material in the wild. Look at what your feeding. Lets use a huge product on the market, any and all Katee products sold for canaries. When you see egg in it that should alert you to don't feed this product. Now if it was breeding season and the parents where feeding young, that's ok, but the rest of year no, don't feed it. There is no product made that mimics nature. Only you can for your bird. Feed it a great seed mix as the base, and then augment the mix per the season. You then should feed a separate mix, we call soft food. Here is what I do as a for instance. Right now I take a food processor and grind up/process kale and carrots. To that since it is wet, I add a 16 ounce bag of dry quinoa and about 2 cups dry rolled oats and a cup of Niger/thistle seed, then I shake it all up and feed it in a separate small cup. Now I may add dandelion or broccoli instead of kale or even with it every now and then, and I mix this up every 4 days. Keeping in mind I have 200 birds to feed. If it happened to be breeding season and the birds were feeding young, I'd add hemp to the seed mix and smashed up hard boiled egg to the soft mix. It is always ok to add bee pollen anytime as well.

Egg outside of the breeding season is a no no. Don't do it and if its in the mix you feed, change mixes. It is animal protein, the birds livers can't process it. The liver enlarges, the stomach distends, and the bird dies. Fist sign is you'll see the food bowl or feed gone way to fast. The bird is eating and eating but losing weight. Its system can't process the nutrients, thus the liver enlarges and the bird goes skinny/lite and dies.

Always think wild birds. What do they eat and what happens at each season, meaning what are they dealing with, temp/light/food. Mimic this and you have healthy birds. If you think you're smarter than mother nature and can mess with it, well Mother Nature will always win.

I am not saying this was the cause of your males demise, just adding it because we are seeing a lot of this and from that as a cause. Wet food or spoiled food can cause the same, especially soaked seed. Soaked seed goes bad very quickly and can turn if done incorrectly very quickly as well. Generally it starts by bad food or food going bad and then e-coli or semolina such starts it off down a bad road.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you Rudi for this very helpful information. We did not give our birds anything else beside seeds, pellets and veggies and fruits. We did give them little egg because it was breeding season and they were in one cage but they did not mate. We tried giving them carrots and kale as soft food but they did not eat it. Maybe we will try adding some seeds and oats to it. My female Canary is a fussy bird and doesn't eat too may different things. Mostly likes her seeds and pellets, she is not one to try something new. We looked for danelions and Niger/thistle seed here in Edmonton but could not find any. She loves to sit in front of a mirror and look at herself, maybe she thinks there is another bird, so that's why I was thinking maybe she needs company.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

No worries, A quality seed mix, ABBA 1700 / Higgins canary supreme or vita. Not saying you need to use those just using them as for instances. A seed mix that has nothing in it but seeds and natural vegetable type stuff's. No animal protein. Different things like egg or even honey are good, but only at very specific times. Again always follow nature and seasons, otherwise give a mix devoid of those things and add them as you like separately. Giving the birds different greens is always good, but as you stated, like us, some have favorites and some have things they just won't eat. No one works, try different ones, and rotate them as they are in season. I give my birds whatever is in season and on sale. There are times I can't find dandelion, so they get Kale. If broccoli is on sale I get that instead of kale, again whatever is around. I always look for sales on quinoa and rolled oats or quick oats in the cereal isle of the grocery store is cheap. Birds always can use a little carbs as well as roughage. If you cannot find Niger/Thistle no worries again quinoa or mixes called super foods, usually containing quinoa works. Birds are like pregnant women, no a chauvinistic statement I assure you. A pregnant women has cravings, sometimes strange ones, but its her body telling her what she needs, even if its dirt, which usually is her system saying she needs or is missing minerals of some kind. Birds are the same, they seek out what they need and this is driven by the season they are in. Always think nature, what's going on outside and try and mimic it. Now remember where the birds genetic make up comes from. The canary islands, not Canada, ha sorry had to add that
    Cheers

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Hey Rudi - I have a Canadian Canary too and they do just fine up here - albeit indoors only! lol
    CuteCanary I make a mix of soft food with veggies kinda pulsed in the blender just like Rudi said but I have a single female canary so I put dime sized drops of that mix on a sheet of waxed paper and freeze, then once frozen in little balls I put it in a ziploc - thaw one out for a bit on the counter or drop it in a dish in the cage and it will thaw gradually - and she loves that. If I’m really in a rush to thaw it I microwave for 10 seconds then mash/fluff with a fork and leave on the counter for a few long minutes so I know it’s not hot anywhere through it then put it in. Microwaves can create pockets of extreme heat unevenly in food, so never put it in without mixing it well and leaving it out to ensure it’s not hot anywhere through it. Snitch’s favourite things are broccoli, kale, jalapeños and corn on the cob. I don’t give her fruit often but I gave her a small slice of apple the other day because I was eating it. Sometimes she doesn’t go near it, sometimes she is terrified of it then eats it all and picks at the clip making noise like a vagrant clinking her cup, sometimes she grazes nicely on it over a couple of hours. Depends on her mood. She’s very female. ha. (So am I so I can say that).

Remove Ads