Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Kiara: 2016 - October 2018

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,178 Posts

Re: RIP Kiara: 2016 - October 2018

I would suggest you consider feeding spinach sparingly, because of its iron content. I have read too much iron is not good. If it were me, I would check the seed mix sack, to see if the words...ferrous sulfate ........are in the seed mix. If so, that is iron. If it were me, I would feed spinach once a week, max, and instead feed more green and red leaf lettuces. The leaf lettuces have good nutrition, but do tend to make poops loose. But ice berg head lettuce, has way too much water content, and will turn solid poops into mostly water! It does not have much good nutrition, due to the water content.

And, with two prior owners, indeed it is possible Kiara may have not been fed properly. It is always difficult with these tragedies, but more so when you and your partner\the new caregiver\had no bird history. Just always remember how Kiara and Kovu took to your home and care, and loved living with you and your partner. Even in her short time with you she loved her home. I have had a few adopted birds over the years, and did not know their history.

Congrats on the new pair of lovies! I will check out your new thread!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-22-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thank you for that advice, we dont usually give spinach every day but probably every second or third day but will cut down to once a week. I usually just buy a small bag of it so it would last longer too. What about silverbeet? Is that similar to spinach in its nutrition and should also be fed sparingly? I have never given lettuce to them before, but might try it next time. From time to time I sometimes buy cos lettuce, which I believe is known as romaine lettuce in the USA, and use it in salads, so maybe next time I'll give some of that to them. I remember a member on here JenElwa was mentioning that she would give her budgies and lovebird that lettuce too. I dont buy iceberg lettuce so I definitely won't start now, I'm already paranoid about their poops so I'll avoid that kind of lettuce. I did not know that the leaf lettuces had nutrition though, so that is good to hear.

I believe kiara was happy here, she was the first to get excited about hearing other birds in the house when they were staying in the lounge, kovu has never really cared for the other birds as much, but kiara would be chirping to the others even before she met them and then when she saw Koko, boy oh boy did she like him (or her, I'm undecided) a lot. She would always follow kovu, and kovu Ould be the most brave one and want to explore and kiara would slowly follow her. I think kovu is responsible for helping kiara become a tiny bit tame. I wonder if thats why many people prefer to buy babies instead of older birds. Because babies do not have much history being babies and are supposedly easier to tame.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

All birds have their very own personality. I think the order of hatch...ie. Egg #1, #2, #3, etc., also has a bearing on their personality. If there are many eggs, then, if parent fed,the first 2-3 babies get ahead start from the rest, and can be bigger in size, as well as can be dominant, while the last to hatch, can be very docile, and loving, like Kiara was. And, also, when they all fledge, sometimes the older ones, will somewhat dominate the smaller ones. And, like humans, DNA contributes as well. I have had both parent fed and handfed birds. Quite honestly, I feel parent fed birds, are not as clingy nor have as much separation anxiety when we cannot be with them every minute, as some handfed birds are, because they were not held with human hands until they fledged. With handfed birds, human touch is so important to them because they were held and fed at a very young age. I feel that Kiara was just a very special little angel bird, and you and your partner brought out the love she had of her flock members and her love for both of you. And, Laila, you and your partner sure have some gorgeous and unique names for your birds!!

I think it really is neat to have many, so we can see how different each one is, just like snowflakes, all creation is unique and beautiful!
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-23-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Fledgeling
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Kiara was a very cute bird. I see why you liked her. Yes, she should of lived a longer time. It is sad a cute bird like Kiara was so young in passing.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thank you so much Bill, it is sad that she passed and so young, when lovebirds should live for a lot longer. I wish we had done pathology tests to determine the exact cause of her liver failure, but now we just need to make peace with it and hope that she is ok now. Kiara was the cutest little lovebird and I adored her little dreamy eyes and how she became a little semi tame thanks to having a more tamer bonded friend.

Ellen, thank you for that information, I did not think about hatch dates and how that can influences how the birds turn out and how they are fed by the parents too. It does make sense that parent raised birds would not feel the separation anxiety from owners being away all day. I don't think mine would care too much if I didnt go to check on them all the time at home because they have each other to talk to all day long, even kovu who always wants to come out and perch with us, is usually fine chirping most of the day with the others. I'm just a servant who cleans their food water and cage each day, but thats ok with me, I adore looking after all of them

You are right, all creation is unique and so beautiful!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are an awesome caregiver. Like you, I have always kept a close watch on my birds throughout the day, because there is always the possibility of one or more of them having an unexpected accident or illness. Before I retired, I did not have more than one bird at a time, and that was a budgie. At that time, as you know, it was a busy work day, I left home early in the am, and got back home after five, so did not have much time to spend with my budgie, but playing music for him during the day helped, and also mirror girlfriends! And, quite honestly, I was so blessed to never have a sick budgie, other than Maxi, who I got right after I retired, and he died suddenly died due to eating fresh parsley every day, for a long time. I posted about not feeding cabbage family veggies to budgies, due to tbem having a phyto chemical in them which can cause esophagal tumors, which, Maxi did have.

No matter the bird, like you, I will fall in love with it!!!!!! No doubt in my mind. I would be lost without mine.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I just seen this thread and I am so saddened with the news. Kiara gave you so much joy and happiness and please remember, you and your partner did everything possible for her. You were great parronts. Her pic is absolutely beautiful and what a great way to remember her. Hugs to you and your partner.

Fly free Kiara,
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Carolyn, thank you for your kind words too, and I'm sorry it has taken me awhile to pop on here to reply or write any posts as its been hectic here with the other birds since kiara passed. It means a lot to me that you popped by to say some wonderful things, kiara was a beautiful little angel, it has been just about two months now. I still pray that she is not suffering anymore and that she is at peace, as well as hope that our other birds will stay healthy and happy and have longer lives. I hope the same for your precious ones too. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Remove Ads