Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lovebird Chick Mutations

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Lovebird Chick Mutations

Hey folks, I’m wondering if you can help me guess what colours my newest chicks are gonna be? Within a large aviary I have a small colony of lovebirds, I started off with three pairs and they’ve had a couple of clutches each, of which most have survived, so I have 20 currently. I plan to allow them to breed a few more times as the aviary currently dwarfs them, but then start removing/replacing eggs before they’re overcrowded. I love watching them cooperatively rear their chicks and etc, it’s great. Anyway the birds have the option to choose their own mates, I’m not breeding for specific colours so I like them to pick... the cock from one of my original pairs recently died after a sprawk was worrying the aviaries, and one of his sons has paired up with his mate, which is obviously his mother (New name = Oedipus?)

Genetic history for ya:

The original pair - the cock was a whiteface grey and the hen is a lutino

The progeny - they have always produced either normals or birds that look normal but with redder faces and deeper darker greens. Once, just once, they produced a pure white chick (not leucistic, albino) and one that looked a deep purple colour, but neither survived past two weeks of age

Oedipus himself looks like a normal.

He has recently bred with his mum, which is vile and I shouldn’t have allowed it, but I never check the boxes after September as I’ve never had them breed this late before? I heard peeping today and to my horror there are four. One has orange fluff, one is white, and two are violet. Any ideas as to what colours they’ll be?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,168 Posts

Re: Lovebird Chick Mutations

Hi, and welcome to the forum. We have several breeders here who have knowledge of mutations. I am hopeful one will see your post soon, and give you info. Good luck with the babies!

Remove Ads