Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 2 month old cockatiel screaming when with me.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question 2 month old cockatiel screaming when with me.

I am a new cockatiel mom and need some help, my little guy is 2 months old, hand fed and weaned for a week before I bought him. The first couple days I had him he would eat seeds and pellets crushed up. I would feed him from my hand and keep seed/pellets on me when I held him. Day 3 he started screaming (low grumble scream) when I would hold him so I would put him in his cage until he would stop which he did when I would walk away. Sometimes he would continue to scream when I put him back and attack his food while screaming. I've called vets and the store I got him from for advice and heard that he probably wasnt fully weaned and I should give him 6cc formula in the morning and 6cc at night while still offering Millet, seeds, and pellets. But I was also told that would make him regress. Now he kinda picks at his seed and pellet mix but demolishes the millet spray when I put the half in for the day. (Sorry trying to be thorough)

Now when I pull him out he wastes no time in starting the screaming and continues until I put him back. I've tried waiting it out and sometimes he screams for 30 minutes or more and I worry about him getting stressed or making himself sick. Toys dont distract him, and I dont know if what I'm doing is right. I love the little guy and want him to be happy and healthy but dont know what I'm doing wrong. Please help!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: 2 month old cockatiel screaming when with me.

Hi, and welcome. I feel he needs to be taken to an Avian vet for a wellness check. It is unfortunate you were sold a baby that is so young. Generally, breeders and pet stores sell birds that are at least 12 weeks old. The screaming may be a signal he is still hungry, and further, he misses his parents and siblings. It is unfortunate that breeders and pet stores cause the worry you now have, because they sell stock that is hardly weaned, if at all. In my view, you are not doing anything wrong with him. Try mixing some seeds and millet in with the baby formula. And try feeding him about three times a day, morning, noon and night before bedtime. And in between, after an hour or so, see if he will eat millet and seeds out of your hand and out of a food cup. Be sure he is drinking plenty of water too. Personally, I would discontinue the pellets for now. In a few weeks when he is fully weaned, and off the formula, you can then add some pellets along with the seeds if you decide to do so.

Go to YouTube and search for...baby cockatiels making hungry noises. Sometimes, the baby noises, which you call screaming, really are sounds that are not necessarily hungry sounds. They just make them for no real reason. Also, while there, search for handfeeding baby cockatiels.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-15-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I went back to spoon feeding formula 6cc in the morning and 8cc at night. He eats until he is full then I make sure he drinks water. I pick him up to hold him and he still screams at me. I cuddle him, scratch his neck, give him toys and he continues to scream. Is it just because he sees me as his mother? I'm taking him for a wellness check next week but I want to make sure he doesnt have to go asap. Also his poops have become somewhat watery, still solid waste and white urates (it's not like diarrhea) but it's a little lighter and has a lot more water. Is that from the formula? When he was on the seed and pellets it was small solid green/dark green poop. But has changed since I started the formula. Please and thank you for any info!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

The loose poops could be from the formula, but I do have concern for him, because I do not think he should be crying all of the time. One other thought I have is that if the breeder started feeding him by hand soon after he was hatched, he got used to being held and touched by human hands, and wants to be held all the time. That is a good possibi!ity. I am encouraged that he is eating the formula and drinking well for you. That is a real plus.

Continue feeding as you are now. If the poops are only water, and/or get even worse, I would suggest taking him to the vet this week, if at all possible.

We will watch for updates.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

He doesnt cry all the time, that's my bad, he cries when I hold him. Not when anyone else does. And he has been better today since I started hand feeding formula. He is preening on my shoulder as i type this with only the occasional squeak.
    Last edited by DominosMom18; 10-17-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I was advised by a woman that because of the constant crying he could possibly have a bacterial infection and gave me tetracycline to give him. She said it wouldn't hurt him if he didnt have an infection but that it will help within a few days if he did. I'm leery about just giving him something but if that sounds correct to y'all I'll give it a go and save $$ on the vet bills but I'll take him if it would be better than the tetracycline. I wont give him any until I hear back from yall.

And I will still be taking him for wellness exam.

As far as the poops if I can figure out how to post a picture I will. Posted a picture of my guy and his poop from 10 minutes ago in my profile album?. Thanks!
    Last edited by DominosMom18; 10-17-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

So young and screaming quite often. For only 2 months old I do not know a quick cure for that habit. It is not your fault, and I hope you find the answer to your problem on this site. Some people here know quite a lot about birds. Good Luck.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Personally, I would not give him that med. I would want a vet check first. I do not think birds are given that medicine. Being so very young, a vet needs to evaluate him and if needed, they will prescribe a bird medicine.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I decided against giving the medication. I did some research and it is used to treat bacterial infections but I am going to hold off until his vet check.

He still has watery poops but I'm feeding formula when he really screams for it and he is eating seed in between. After feeding twice a day for 3 days he is completely different. He plays with toys I've hooked to my collar, he doesnt scream at all (except for right before feeding) he cuddles up in my hood to nap and curls up under my chin for kisses and scratches. He refused his morning feed today but started crying around 2 for it after he had eaten seed so I fed him a bit. I am so happy that he seems to be doing better.

Thank you for all your advise and help! I will keep posting follow ups if interested in his progress.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yaaaaaay!!!!! He is doing great!!! And so are you! I am glad you did not give him that medication. I really feel, when you take him for his wellness check, you are going to get a good report on his health. We will watch for updates! Each day he will be more content!!!! Great job!!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

He is doing fantastic! His poops have set up and he is weaning himself. I still offer the formula in the morning and he eats maybe 2 cc then walks over to his seed bin and asks for that. I give him fresh veggies in the afternoon after his nap and 6 cc of formula at 8 before he goes to bed. He is obsessed with sleeping with me (not in my bed!) He cuddles up in my hoods or under my tshirt (boobs are great birdy holders!) I am so happy he is doing better and so grateful for all your help. New pics of my little guy up. Also if anyone has a guess to his sex...I was told it was a boy and after his first molt his head would be white. He is a white-faced cockateil. (Yes, I've looked at pictures online to compare)

Remove Ads