Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update + introducing two new peach faced lovebirds

Thanks

Re: Update + introducing two new peach faced lovebirds

Astro is Lutino and Opaline, that's why the red extend behind the head.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Stephane it is nice to hear from you, wow I did not realise she had opaline in her too! If I remember correctly, in some of your posts you were trying to make a pure opaline lovebird too? You were really happy when you achieved the colour too. That is amazing, I have this lovebird compendium book from Belgium it is like an encyclopaedia of lovebird breeding (I thought it was abut caring for lovebirds, but it is mostly about achieving colours and has a small section on care) and I have been trying to find Astro in there but it is hard, but maybe if I look under opaline and lutino I will find her. I was thinking Astro will start to lose some of the red and just be lutino but maybe she will have a lot of red. She didnt have any black on her beak when she came and she was supposedly 11 weeks old, from the same breeder that Araik and Angel came from.

Thanks

Yes, I worked a long time to have Opaline, now I have a lots of them, most of my birds are Opaline or split to.
    When you speak of 'compendium book" are you speaking of the book of Dirk van Abeele?
    Lutino chicks doesn't have black on their beaks. If you're interested about combination of mutation I will send you a link where you can see a lot a pictures by choosing your own combination.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Aw that is great you have many now! Yes that is the book, the one by dirk van den Abeele. It is so big like an encyclopaedia. Do you have this book as well?

Ah I did not know that lutino's do not get back on their beaks, so I think her age was correct then. Her eyes are red too, different from the black that the others have. I would love to see the link to see the pictures, that would be great!

Thanks

They translated this book in french this years but it is already sold out . Thankfully another edition is planned. All the best breeders I know say the same thing about this book, "it's the bible of lovebirds" there is not a better book.

Lutino, pallid and cinnamon have red eyes at birth but it is always more visible with lutinos.

http://www.bird4life.com/roseicollis...abaserosei.php

You click on the combination you want and you should have the picture

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the link. I think I even made a picture of Astro when I clicked opaline and recessive pied, except the red eyes were missing when I did it. This is a nice website! I'm going to try the colours of the other peach faces soon too. They are changing their colours so much and so quickly.

Oh that sucks that the book sold out in the French edition. I hope the new edition is released soon so you can get it. That must mean more new information will be included if it is a new edition, so it might be even better that the 2016 version. Maybe if you contact the publisher you can tell him to email you when it is released? When we purchased the book we purchased it directly from the publisher, his name is Ruud Plaisier and I think the publishing company is called About Pets.

Thanks

The new publisher is my own bird federation, I personally knows the translators ,)

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Oh that is definitely very useful to know them! I think you will have no problem getting the next edition, I hope it is updated and released soon.

Thanks

The new publisher is my own bird federation, I personally knows the translators ,) sadly they messed up a lot, I'm looking for an english edition.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Oh that sucks! I hope you are able to find an edition, I was told that they only made limited amounts, I found one website though that seems to say it is in stock, and will do International postage, they are in the USA, but looks like it is very expensive. It was expensive when it was first released too. This is the link if it helps: https://avianpublications.com/shop/l...ds-compendium/

Or I hope the new edition will come out very soon, keep an eye out on the release date, maybe you can preorder before it is released.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi all!

I thought I would provide an update on the lovebird flock. I previously provided updates on the other birds and introduced some new members too in other threads.

I'll start with little Ashu and Asha. Ashu is doing so much better now. It took her a few months to heal her injury on her left leg but she is doing more better now and is thriving. Around the beginning of the year she did pick at her wound again and bled a few times but we were quick to stop the bleeding from time to time we did apply diluted iodine to the area to make her stop picking at the area which helped as it is basically healed. From time to time I think she feels a little uncomfortable on that leg but not a lot. She can now perch on that wounded leg and relax the other leg which was nice to see. Her and Asha were kept in another room for along time nearly 3 months, but after that they started to show signs that they wanted to be with everyone else again and sleep in the same room as them again so we put them back and they all slept well and were really happy to be a flock in the same room again. Asha is doing well too. She loves eating her green vegetables, as does ashu. However, I do worry that they are both chronic egg layers. Especially Asha. We always provide cuttlebone and fresh veggies though. I try to prevent egg laying as much as possible but it appears they really want to lay eggs in winter time for some reason, It has been about 3 weeks since an egg was laid and we just left the egg there but might take it out soon. They dont seem to be attending to their eggs either. Both ashu and aha that is.

The Spanish vets were so helpful with giving us information on how to help ashu and her wound. And remember I mentioned her beak had started to turn white, and Ellen, you mentioned it could be from the prior blood loss and lack of vitamins? Her beak is fully back to its natural red colour again. And we hand-fed her oranges to boost her vitamin c and sometimes raspberries, but mostly orange. She was eating vegetables on her own. We are so thankful that she is her usual self again. I still always keep my eye on her and sometimes when it is really sunny I do bring her and asha back to the other room for a few hours to get more sun and to create more space in the birdie room for cleaning time. They dont mind being apart from the others for a few hours and enjoy watching the wild birds outside. Asha is always shouting at them when they turn up lol.

Ashi and Koko are doing well too. But Koko is always is nest moe and she doesnt lay eggs, she just keeps putting ashi is nest mode and then she lays eggs. I feel like every time I look at Koko she's regurgitating food for ashi. Every **** time lol. But I do see her eating a lot and same with ashi. I've had to give Ashi a no-mess feeder bowl because she as getting nesty with one of her previous bowls and laying in it and chewing stuff in it so we swapped the bowls and she's not like that. So far she has laid two eggs in the last few months. The first time she laid in on the floor of the cage and it was cracked so I had to take it out of there. The second waylaid a few days ago and I left it there. She doesnt pay attention to it though, the same as ashu and asha It's like they just lay one egg for the fun of it and then get over it. Ashi and Koko love their green veggies too. Actually I think all the lovebirds love their greens right now. I've been getting the greens from a small fruit and vegetable shop and I think they taste better than supermarket ones because they are local and fresh and organic. And sometimes all actually be cheaper than the supermarket too. I tend to sometimes use the greens for myself for a salad too Ashi and Koko's cage is next to Asha's and I have to put a towel on the side because Asha will hang on the cage bars and scream at them.

Nala and ski are alright too but in nesty mode too. Iki laid her first egg about three weeks ago. I was really worried about her because there was blood on it. And I couldn't remember if everyone else had blood when they laid their first eggs so it made me worries. My partner kept saying they did but I'm not sure. Anyway it was because of a particular food bowl that tiki became nesty all of a sudden so we took that bowl away and the eggs too. Since then she has been doing better, hasn't acted hormonal, and has started eating pellets. Probably from the loss of vitamins from laying eggs. She laid two in total. She spends he day talking with everyone else. Nala is always shouting at kovu as kovu is located next to her. And nala is coming hormonal and always guarding one of the food bowls too so I'm thinking to change her and tiki's cage around a bit. She has been on and off hormonal but as never laid an egg and I want to keep it that way. She is so adorable and always likes to see what kovu is doing. Sometimes when we give them celery we push it through the cage bars of both nala/iki's cage and kovu's cage so its like they share celery.

Kovu loves having nala and tiki as her neighbours and I think they sleep near each other, Nla sleep in the food bowl that is on kovu's side and kovu sleeps on her perch that is next to nail's food bowl. And kovu is still a happy, active energetic little girl. She loves time outside of the cage. She loves getting her vegetables and bringing it to her rabbit toy which is near nala, and is normally why nala is always shouting at kovu lol.

Now onto the peach faces. Luna is doing so much better since losing kiara and she and her cagemate astro (the yellow lutino) are bonded to each other. The peach faces seem to have formed a clique and really like talking to each other all day. Astro is very active and has gotten luna to be a little bit more active too. She loves exploring the cage and chewing her toys. She always goes to the side where araik and angel are and talks to them and so does luna sometimes too. She isn't too mean to luna, like before, and I think in those times she just wanted luna to move out of the way lol. And araik and angel are just as active as the other two. They shout all day and are always hanging on the cage staring at luna and astro to see what they are doing and always want to do the same thing. thankfully these peach faces dont show hormonal behaviour at the moment and hopefully it stays that way. They are too young not even a year old yet. If I remember correctly araik and angel should be about 10 months now, astro should be either the same age or maybe 8-9 months, and luna I believe should the older one like the other lovebirds about 2 years or so. And araik and Angel's colours have changed so much. I can't believe how much they have changed it has been amazing to see it. Angel is a little mean to araik and would always chase her and kick her away from food or a toy so we put extra food bowls and an extra two toys so that she can't keep chasing her.

That is the update, and I will put some pictures in my next post following this!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Here are some photos:

I'll write who is who up here in order:

Asha and Ashu - Nala - Iki - Nala again - Koko - Astro (yellow) and luna - araik (red head) and angel - kovu - kovu again - araik - angel - astro and luna - ashi - ashi again - asha

Remove Ads