Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Update + introducing two new peach faced lovebirds

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Update + introducing two new peach faced lovebirds

About a week and a half ago on October 11th 2018, we lost our beloved Kiara. I have posted about this in the rainbow bridge forums, and it appears that she had liver failure. She is now up in heaven in the rainbow bridge playing with those who were gone before her. I would like to make a distraction and thought I would post a new update on the rest of the flock and how they are doing, plus introduce two new additions to the flock.

I will first introduce the two new additions to the flock as of yesterday. Since Kiara passed, Luna, the peach faced lovebird hasnít been eating much. I never thought she was close to Kiara, but they were cage neighbours and would flock call each other each morning and each night. Kiara was the only one who could mimic Lunaís peach face sounds perfectly. The others have not been able to and stick to their own sounds. Luna hasnít been ok since Kiara passed, and weíve had to hand feed her each day to force her to eat. We tried to put her in a bigger cage along with Nala and Iki, which somehow got her to eat, but Nala and Iki kept bullying her, especially Iki. When they had playtime outside last week Iki grabbed her feet and would not let go and caused luna to bleed. We stopped the bleeding quickly thankfully, but I was extremely shocked that little iki who is timid AND who is herself, always being picked on by Nala, would do something like that. Anyway we did put luna back in her own cage again but then she would not eat again so my partner decided to put her back again with Nala and Iki but with supervision to make her eat and she did. Anyway this was until last Friday when I said I cannot just sit and supervise the three all day and on that day I was the only one home and luna didnít eat much even when she was with nala and iki. Iki kept kicking her away from food bowls so I told my partner to just put her back in her own cage and handfeed her. He had decided a few days beforehand to look for another peach faced lovebird to be a friend for Luna. He only found a pair about an hour and a half away who could only be picked up on Sunday and no earlier.

So yesterday (Sunday), he went to get them. I have no idea about peach faced mutations since weíve only had luna, but one is a light green colour and the other is light blue. According to the breeder, the blue one is female, and the green one is male. However, no DNA tests so I honestly would not be surprised if they were both female. They still have black on their beaks, and are apparently 10 weeks old. Roughly the same age that asha, ashu and Ashi were when they came. They can eat on their own but they are aviary birds so very terrified of us. We let them fly around the bedroom yesterday and when putting them back inside the cage my partner said the blue one doesnít struggle to get away but the green one does. They kind of bully each other a little, like picking on the other one to move out of the way and so on. The blue one seems to be more active and wanting to explore and the green one usually follows. My partner named them Araik and Angel. Araik is the green one, and is actually Kiaraís name spelt backwards, to honour her memory. And Angel is the blue one. They call out to the other ones from the lounge room, and luna knows they are around and calls them back so I am hoping she will feel settled again having more of her own species around her. Iíve tried to get pictures of them but itís a little hard, Deanna I think you will like their black beaks if you can see the photos properly. I donít think they are a bonded pair though, I thought he was getting a bonded pair and that that was why he was getting two, but these two are different from the photos I saw, I think the breeder had sold the ones he sent photos of but had these two available too or something. They already seem to be settled in well, they started eating quite quickly after putting them in a cage and drinking water too. But it was a long car trip for them too.

Onto an update on the remainder of the flock. It has been a hectic few months. Everyone is in nest mode here. Once that is over everyone is going to get cage makeovers. Iíll start with Ashi and Koko. Ashi laid an egg awhile back, even though I tried to prevent her and Koko from mating many times. Now because we do not know if Koko is a boy or a girl we decided to leave the egg with ashi and give her a nestbox so she could have her clutch. This was ages ago and nothing hatched and my partner said we can let them try one more time, so we did, and still nothing but sheís still not finished with the three week schedule so once she shows shesís finished we will remove everything and give her cage a makeover. I am thinking that koko is either a girl or doesnít know how to mate properly lol. It was interesting how Koko is a pure masked lovebird, and so is Iki and so was Kiara and those two really liked him, but I wonder if they only liked him because he was a masked bird just like them and not because of being a boy as we thought.

My little Asha and ashu, oh boy. Asha decided to make one of her food bowls her nest and laid eggs in there. And sheís still sitting on them. Obviously infertile because Ashu is a girl too. It just seems like a waste of time and energy when she could just be happily playing with toys. Ashu laid an egg too. I tried to put them on a paper towel in the bottom corner of the cage and what did they do? Well Ashu would go and drag that paper towel and CHEW IT. I cannot win lol. So I left the eggs at the bottom corner of the cage without a towel instead. Ashu got out of nest mode and was singing all day and playing, it was so nice to hear her little voice again, but then she went back into nest mode. Asha is still sitting on her eggs and once sheís done Iím making over their cage too and removing that food bowl. It is strange because she had the same bowl in a different colour beforehand but never thought of it as a nest but when I changed it into a purple one she made it her nest. Thankfully those two are strong little girls, they have their little cuttlebone and fresh veggies and seed mix each day. And they do not fight with each other either.

Nala and Iki recently got put into a bigger cage. I was worried about doing that because of Nala and her flight feathers but she is surprisingly an amazing flyer now and they are doing great in a bigger cage. Nala is still the boss of her even bigger kingdom now. We were worried about Iki for a little while because she would never eat straight away in the morning but she would go afterwards and eat instead but we were never sure if she was getting any vegetables or if Nala was gobbling them down for herself. They shared that big cage with luna for a few days on and off, but iki was too mean to luna so no more sharing. Nala wasnít mean to luna though, only a tiny bit like to make her move out of the way but thatís it, iki was different and completely changed as if she hated luna. Maybe she sees her as a threat to her bond with nala or something.

The conures are doing well. Really noisy, especially Rico the red one. In the morning if she hears us doing something in the lounge room she starts screaming LOUDLY cos their room is still dark (trying to imitate winter hours to make nights longer and days shorter even though we are now approaching summertime). Also, I think she doesnít like me anymore. Before she used to fly away from me and be afraid when I would change her bowls but now she tries to bite me. It happened so suddenly and everytime I go into the birdie room she will jump up and do like a head bob dance to me. So I wondered does she like me or not? We asked the lady we get our French millet from who we also got the conures from and described the behaviour and she said she does like me but she wants to show me that shes the boss now. Perhaps her hormones have kicked in, as they do in this house! However, I do not think she likes me because just today Iím by myself looking after everyone for the morning and had to put her the vegetables and I couldnít distract her away from me so I wore a jacket and glove and when I reached into the cage she pecked at me. My partner said previously maybe she just wants to perch on my arm, but nope, she pecked and tried to bite. Yet during outside playtime she still flies to my head like she always has. However the day before she also tried to climb to my face and get my eye or eyelashes so I had to somehow scare her off. So for some reason she does not like me anymore. Perhaps she knows Iím a girl and sees me as a threat now. And because she bites HARD I have to protect my fingers and arms or I wont be able to give anybody their veggies or seeds etc. The little one is also feisty but sheís still easier to get from the cage or from outside when having time out. They love to splash in their water bowl for bath time and make a huge mess and they look funny when soaking wet. Rico still screams at night for an hour after lights out and in the morning or even during the day if I boil water in the kettle or turn the tap on she screams too and I have no idea why. Then Nico will copy her sometimes. I think we need to change their names since Iím certain their girls. Perhaps Rica and Nica.

And little Socrates the ringneck. He still runs around as he always does and does the neck twisting thing, I guess I will never figure out what that means. But he is doing well, and he still likes kovu a lot and does the mating dance when he sees her. We moved the cages around and now heís directly opposite her so he can see her all day long. Heís become quieter now but because he has started his yearly moult, he was the same last year not screaming and running around during his moult. And still likes scratches from my partner too.

Last but not least, little kovu. She is a brave and strong little girl. She has also put herself in nestmode despite being in her cage alone. She has always been fine on her own, and at the same time I think was happy to have Kiara in her cage with her in her final days. Kovu laid one or two eggs I believe over the last few months just randomly when she was in nest mode. She loves perching on her rabbit toy. I will be honest, I have been a bit worried about her, since what happened to Kiara, I got paranoid and thought kovuís poops were getting stringy like kiaraís was. There were a few like that but the rest were normal green and white. Yet over the years with all of them their poops have not always remained exactly the same, it has always changed depending on what they have eaten or what vegetables they had and so on. And her behaviour has not changed at all. Sheís the most active. And still loves to come out and play on our jacket outside of the cage. Whilst a biter, she is so friendly. Maybe she is going to lay an egg sometime soon since she's in nest mode at the moment and has been spreading her wings to attract a mate recently. Each day I pray and pray that all of them remain healthy and live long happy lives.

Well I guess thatís the end of my lengthy update, Iím so sorry that my posts are always so long, there are so many birds to write about. I have attached link to photos as well of everyone and of the new peach faced lovebirds. They are currently grinding their beak and resting at the moment. I do not have a new photo of Koko though because he still hides and when I tried to get one today, he went into the nest box with Ashi to hide, but I managed to get one of Ashi though.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZATO8zU

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,168 Posts

Re: Update + introducing two new peach faced lovebirds

Awwww!!! The two new ones are just precious! I will pray every day for health and happiness for them, your entire flock, and you and your partner!!

I have to say......how do you know which one is which??? Those eye ring lovies are sooooo cute! But look sooooo alike! You and your partner are very, very caring and lovng towards all of them! Thanks for sharing! We will welcome updates anytime!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thank you so much Ellen, your words always mean a lot, I am always praying for the best health and well-being of the flock too, and I am also always praying and hoping that your little birds at home are also doing well too and in excellent health.

Which ones were you referring to regarding knowing who is who? Hmm well most of them are in their own cages with a friend, apart from socrates the ringneck and luna the peach face. And the pairs are different to each other, with most having their cage mate being a different mutation to the them, apart from Asha and Ashu, the little green ones, who are sisters. With those two, in the beginning I couldn't tell until I realised that Asha didnt have her left flight feather grown in. But once it finally grew in, I had already noticed some differences between the two. For example, Ashu generally has bigger brighter eyes than Asha, and Asha, especially at first always had little sleepy eyes, similar to how kiara did. She still does a little bit. And Asha's tail is more wider, while Ashu's is more pointier. This also made me not believe in the myth that pointier tails in lovebirds indicate a boy. I think those are the main two things that usually lets me know who is who, I will, however admit, that from time to time I'll mistakenly think one is the other, but usually because I didn't see the eyes or tail properly. Also with their favourite seeds, I think Asha is the one who likes safflower more than Ashu, even though Ashu eats it too. When I finish changing their seed bowls in he afternoon each day Asha is always the first to go running to the new food and get some safflower so that would be another indicator. Ashu also flies better than Asha too, so when they have had out of cage time I'll usually know who is who from who flies better since Asha only learnt to fly later on in life after her flight feathers fully grew in.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

. Well, I really was not thinking about you getting them, naming them, having different ways to identify tberm, etc???!!!!! I just took a look at all of them, and thought....whom is whom!!!!! Having had 13 birds..4 cockatiels and 9 budgies, all at once, about 12 years ago, I sure remember how I learned how to identify them!!!! Silly me!!!!! And back then there was no extra time for myself! When you have many, it is a busy day, but oh how it enhances our lives!!!

We will watch for updates!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Ahhh... I love the two new peachies and just like you said them big black beaks make me love them more. Black beaks to me means sweet loveable lovebird babies that I can give little body hugs to in my palm of hand. I use to body hug Boomer by sneaking my fingers under his wings and he hated it!! But bad me loved it so he had to put up with it No way could I ever do that to Tikki, his beak pierces right through you!

Your flock is so beautiful and it must be so fun sitting back and watching all of them just be birds together. Araik (green) and Angel are so fluffy and cute in there pictures, sweet little lovies.

I cannot blame you for worrying about your flock because you just don't know if it what Kiara had could be spread to your flock even though the vet did say it was liver disease I know I still would worry just maybe it was something else. But I worry about everything!! I just love reading your posts and seeing all your pictures of your beautiful flock and even though sweet Kiara no longer is there with them no doubt her spirit will forever be with you and your flock. That is so sweet to name the new one Araik and without a doubt Kiara loves it too. Hugs to you and thanks for your wonderful post of your awesome flock.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Aw thats funny, and I can imagine it was really hard when you had the 13 birds all at once, Ellen! I sure know how hectic the household gets with so many birds around, but it is so joyful at the same time. I think its easier for me to identify all of them because everyone is in their own cage either solo or with one friend only, plus they are different colours as well. I also would remember who is with who by their colours for the ones who have cage mates. I also barely have time to myself now either, only at night time when they are sleeping and thats when I sit and do something for myself which is usually just watch TV.

Deanna that is so cute that you would give Boomer body hugs even when he hated them. Upon hearing the many wonderful stories about boomer here, I feel like he may have been a lot like our kovu, more used to humans but also a massive biter. You were definitely more brave with handling boomer, as we usually only have kovu perched on us but not being held because I think she still ha the genetic predisposition to not like a hand coming onto her, but if she sees only a finger she will try to chew it and depending on her mood she either wants to attack it if she's in nest mode, or simply sees it as a toy at other times. I enjoy spending everyday with them all and am glad to be able to be at home for now most of the time to be able to watch them and look after them.

I am the same, I worry about every little thing whether it is about the birds or not, but especially about the birds now too.

It has been just about two weeks since Araik and Angel have been here. My partner introduced them to luna a bit earlier, when I was outside of the house, I came home to see them in the lounge together with him watching them. They had been calling out to each other since they arrived. Araik and Angel have settled in well, it only took them a day or two to feel at home, they eat and drink as usual and boy oh boy they chirp A LOT. They are not as loud as the conures, but they do chirp a lot and all day long. Since they are still babies they like to take naps during the day all while chirping at the same time and have gotten the others chirping with him like nala and iki. A few days ago my partner let them out to fly in a room with luna to see how they would get a long. So far everything went well and luna would just kind of bare her beak if araik or angel got too close to her but she did not purposely attack them and they did not try to attack her either. I did have concerns about them attacking each other, even sweet little luna who has always been bullied and never hurt anyone, but since she's older I did think that she may try to dominate the new little ones. I'm still uncertain if they will be able to co habit together with luna after, it would be great if they could, but if not, at least they can talk to each other from the safety of their cages. But luna is definitely doing a lot better since they have arrived and is eating and drinking normally again. Araik the green one also had his or her first bath the other day too. I haven't seen angel take a bath yet though. The black on their beaks are starting to get more lighter so I think soon they will be faded. I'm quite interested to see how their adult colours will turn out. But I don't know much about peach faced mutations. We have a book here called lovebird compendium which we ordered from Europe about a year and a half ago which we thought was all about looking after lovebirds but only had a small part about caring for them and is actually just a really large breeding book about achieving certain colours etc so I might have a little look at it, maybe I'll be able to see what their adult colours will be.

They appear to be healthy though, poops are excellent, behaviour is normal. I think they may actually teach us a thing or two actually. Over winter we had started to leave the blankets covering three sides of every cage to conceal warmth, something we hadn't done last year, and we did the same for araik and angel and they went down to find some light instead. They're aviary birds so were probably used to natural light outside. I took that as a sign that maybe we shouldn't be leaving the blankets. I've had many worries about the birds most of this year and apart from purchasing a new oil filled heater to use, leaving the blankets was the only other different thing we have done. We are now in the last month of spring but its still cold in my state, the rest of the country is battling 30 degree + celcius temperature while we are still on 16 Celsius or less which is cold. I like the cold so I'm not complaining but I do wonder if we should just take all the blankets away like we used to during the day and only put it at night. I have started to wonder if they were lacking in natural light because of leaving the blankets.

I do wish kiara was still here, and feel that it was unfair that she couldn't be here to meet the two peach faces, and the fact that they wouldn't even be here with us if kiara wasnt gone. The mysteries of the universe I suppose. I hope she is ok now. It has been three weeks and one day since she left us. But I hope she is watching up above and feeling glad that everyone is ok here, or if she's not watching, that she's happy at the rainbow bridge with her new friends there.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Oops I also forgot to mention. The conures have changed their behaviours and quite suddenly. In a good way, partly. The red one, Rico, has especially changed the most and will not be scared of either me or my partner anymore. Before it was just me that she wasnt scared of and it had been difficult trying to clean her cage each day when she would peck at me but now she does it to him too. Apparently its hormones and territorial behaviour that has kicked in or she wants a boyfriend according to the French millet lady who gave them to us lol.

I think I mentioned that she is really noisy now, and her sounds are getting louder. Still screams at bedtime for at least an hour after lights out, probably because she doesnt want to go to bed. But now something else changed, before she would jump away if we tried to catch her, but now she is so easy to catch. My partner wears a cotton glove though because she bites really hard, but he can grab her and preen her and she actually loves it. Previously we could never touch her and when he would catch her she would make like either a warning sound or scared sound constantly as she would be scared, but now she makes her little robot sound, similar to kovu, when being held and preened. I don't get it lol. She's healthy thankfully, I've monitored all poops and behaviours and eating and drinking patterns and she's the same with that. She still screeches if she hears the water running or the kettle boiling each day though. Another thing I thought of is that she is moulting now, as is her little friend, as well as socrates, and we only received them in January this year, so this would be the first time they are with us and moulting, so she might just hate the moulting and thats making her scream more and would explain why she is enjoying being preened too. I also thought of how she would have seen us getting socrates and kovu out of their cages on a daily basis and perhaps has learned that it is safe and would watch my partner preening socrates and want the same. The other lovebirds have learned slowly to let us do things in their cage without flying all over the cages, because kovu would show them that it is safe, so I think its been the same for the conures.

I'll be honest, I was getting frustrated with the screaming and would even fight with my partner and tell him to do something, but I've been trying to calm myself down as well because I know kiara would want all the flock to be ok and I need to have patience and try to understand what rico actually wants. Everyday I tell myself this now. But if its a boyfriend she's not getting one They were given to us because the lady thought they were bonded to each other and a breeder would have just separated them. Yet she also thought they were boys, when they are clearly girls from their behaviour
    Last edited by marroqui; 11-01-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thanks for the nice update on your flock! It sounds to me, other than usual bird banter, they are doing well now. Keep the updates coming! I love to read them!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I cant blame you for not wanting to get a boyfriend for Rico, silly girl is just too loud and no doubt she would teach her man how to be loud as well. Boomer was loud but Tikki is somewhat quiet and sweet. He talks more then he cheeps. I am happy the peachies are comfortable now and liking there new life. It is also really nice that Luna comes out with them and has not bitten them yet. Yep, you figured Boomer out he was a loud chirper with a big heart to all humans. He loved it when people came over to our house to visit and would always have to fly over to them and check them out. Lots were afraid of him at first but before they left they all loved him, he was very people friendly and if he suspected someone didn't like them he got right into there face and charmed them everytime. Tikki is the same way so perhaps it is because both birds are loner birds and a big part of there lives is spent sitting on there humans.

You house sounds so lovely and loud at times too but that is expected with so many birds. Thanks for the updates and have fun and enjoy those lovely screaming birds of yours kidding or am I...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads