Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I need to know how to bond with my bird. (Background information and questions)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Juan
    Thanks

I need to know how to bond with my bird. (Background information and questions)

Some background info...

So throughout my life I've varies pets like dogs, rabbits, and others, but I could never get close to them. The reason for that is because I am allergic to basically everything that has fur (I sneeze, cough, etc). I never really had a "pet companion", but later I found out that the one animal I'm not allergic to is a bird. So, back in August of this year, I finally convinced my parents to let me get me a bird. I had just enough money for the peach faced lovebird I bought, a cage, and some toys.

Now on to the bird... (I don't know if its a he or she, and I can't get it tested for reasons. I do plan to eventually. Just because I call it "it" doesn't mean I hate them or think less of it in anyway )

When I got my lovebird, I knew I had to give it some time to adjust to its surroundings, so I tried not to touch it for about 2 weeks. After that I tried giving it some millet through the cage, but it would back away whenever I even got near it. I figured it still wasn't comfortable so I left it alone for about another week and a half. It was still backing away.

Now here where the real problem starts...

Both my parents kept insisting that I needed to force the bird out of the cage so it would get used to me. It didn't sound right. I didn't want to, but eventually my parents basically forced me to. I used a small hand towel to grab it, and take it out of the cage. I would take it to a small room and just try to be around it and feed it. It was obviously very scared and it wouldn't take from my hand (obviously). I hated doing this because I've always heard that you should never force a bird out of its cage, but my parents insisted that I keep doing this. After about 3 weeks of doing this, there was no progress, and I told my parents that I was going to stop. They gave in, and I left my bird alone from then. Since then, I've been so afraid of touching it since I know I probably traumatized it.

The issue right now...

As of today, it's gotten slightly better, and it doesn't get scared when I'm near its cage. I've also tried other things to help it like playing soft music and talking to it softly. However, the moment I put my hands in there (to feed, or give water) it gets scared. I try giving it millet but he wont get near it unless I back away. So I need to know, did I mess up so badly that there's no recovery? Will it ever bond with me after what I did? If so, I would really appreciate advice, heck, even some sort of step by step guide to getting it to trust me. I'm scared to try anything on my own. I got this bird because I wanted a little companion, and I'd hate for it to just sit there. I'm lost, and I want things to get better for both us.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,168 Posts

Re: I need to know how to bond with my bird. (Background information and questions)

Hi, and welcome to the community. I admire you for the wisdom you have about taking care of your lovebird. Birds do get somewhat more isolated when they have been frightened. However, they are forgiving, and in time they will respond to you. You have done everything right with him or her, and are right in knowing to never force a bird out of its cage.

My suggestion is for you to continue taking it real slow with him. I will use "him". Sitting by his cage, playing the music, eating a snack, and talking softly to him all will help the process. Chop up a few fresh veggies, and place them on a small p!ate. Put one plate of veggies, with some pieces of millet on the plate too, on the cage floor, and also place one on the outside top of the cage. Then leave the cage door open, but be sure to stay in the room, and lock both front and back doors, so that he cannot accidentally fly out the doors. Sit a short distance away, and see if the veggies will tempt him to come out. ideally, if you can move his cage to your bedroom, and do this exercise, it will be a smaller space food him to exp!ore, and you cash encourage him to go back to his cage,

Go to YouTube and search for..training lovebirds. There are great videos to view there, and you can see how others do training. Time and patience are on your side. Do not lose heart. He will become your best friend. Time and patience are on your side. We will welcome updates anytime.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: I need to know how to bond with my bird. (Background information and questions)

Welcome to the forum. If there is anyway you can move your birds cage in your bedroom so you two can bond without all the household noise and things going on this might help. Also in the evenings you can let it out to snoop around your room. If its wings are trimmed and it can't fly put its cage next to the bed so it can hop out onto your bed. Don't try to touch him or pick him up just let it hop and walk around. To get it back in the cage if you dim the light it won't fly in the darkness. Or possibly you can charm it with spray millet. Cut off small pieces of millet and put it close so it will eat it. Time and patience is what it needs. It took us months before we could hold Boomer. He was super afraid but he loved millet and came close to us for millet. Touching him was not allowed and he would bite us hard. But holding up millet he would eat it as we held it. In time your lovie will trust you and get use to you. They truly are so precious and cute. I just love lovebirds. Congrats on your new lovie.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,168 Posts

Personally, if at all possible, do not clip the wings, without contacting an avian vet, and let them do a very slight trimming. Too much trimming completely destroys a bird's ability to fly which, in my view, you do not want to happen. Because, sometimes, the wing flights never grow back after being trimmed, and your bird will be limited to any normal bird life. It is early on as yet. So, my opinion is to try training first, before you clip.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I agree fully with you Ellen. I just mentioned that if its wings are cut let it hop onto her bed. Tikki was fully flighted when he came home but Boomer sadly had his cut way to short. With flighted birds it is easier to let them out at night so you can dim the lights and pick them up easier.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads