Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sad News..Need Input

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Sad News..Need Input

Hi everyone you may remember me I come from time to time about my beloved parrot buddy who is a 32 to 33 year old double yellow head Amazon. I have some sad news and it's tearing me up I hope someone can give me some input. I am very careful around her with everything from smells to giving her purified water everything I'm very proactive. Maintenance was coming into my apartment on the morning of Halloween. I talked to them the day before and I told them if they are going to use anything with any kind of smell to do any of the repairs to let me know and that I would remove the bird. They were going to nail down a small area in the bathroom where the linoleum was coming up I told them if they let me know if anything with a smell and I would remove the bird. They said they were only going to use a small amount of caulk. I told him if so to please be sure and keep the door shut and put the towel under the door and I left the towel for them even left a note on the counter in case they forgot. When I got home Buddy usually says hello but she didn't answer me and when I got to her cage I found her dead, she was laying on her back and her eyes were open however there was no smell in my apartment whatsoever and the door to the bathroom was closed and even when I put my nose down directly on the caulking I could not smell anything,some was still wet even. I don't know if it was that or not because my other bird was only three feet away from her in a different cage and he was not affected nor were my really small birds. I'm thinking maybe it was just a very bad coincidence and she had a heart attack. She is older and my vet had mentioned that she carried a lot of weight in her chest the last time she was checked up. I am beating myself up over this.. in addition to the very intense grief and I cannot even sleep or eat thinking it's my fault for calling maintenance and trusting they would do what I ask. They did shut the door to the bathroom they just didn't put the towel and there really isn't that much clearance underneath the door anyway, I was just being overprotective. I am thinking if it had anything to do with the caulking that the other birds would have been affected also especially the small ones but buddy was the oldest. Can anyone shed any light on any of this? Does the fact she died with her eyes open mean perhaps she died suddenly like more like a heart attack then slowly like maybe because of smelling something where she might have just passed out with her eyes closed. I really need to get over the guilt anything you can offer will be helpful I miss her so very much and it may have just been her time to go. I had noticed the few days prior to her death she didn't call to me as much as she usually did but other than that she did not act sick maybe a little less active but nothing where it would raise a flag as I always take her at the smallest thing to the vet. Thank you all I am heartbroken
    Last edited by Spenser; 11-03-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,304 Posts

Re: Sad News..Need Input

Spenser, I am so sorry for your loss of your parrot. Buddy. It is a terrible thing to have to experience. Unless you could have a vet do a necropsy, it would be difficult to say what happened to her. Since she was not as active and more quiet the last few days, she could have had some sort of bacterial or respiratory problem beginning to surface. Birds do hide their illnesses very cleverly. I do not know the answer you requested about her eyes being open.

A couple of months ago, my landlord had a maintenance person use some caulking in my bathroom. The smell was horrific, and I had to open windows and securely cover my two bird cages. The Landlord did not tell me this smell would go along with the repair. I kept my screen doors open all day, and kept the birds covered all day and all night. Even the next day the smell was still in my home!! Somehow I think the person who did this work for you should have known the smell would be there, enough so, that he or she would have told you to remove the birds from your home for a few days.

Birds are very fragile. My thought is that Buddy, being older, if it was the smell that killed her, did not have as strong of respiratory system as the other birds. And, quite honestly, it is a miracle they did not die too.

Chemicals do tend to stick around the home for awhile. My suggestion for you is to thoroughly clean the other bird cages inside and outside with a mix of white or apple cider vinegar, and warm water, and wipe down the perches and their toys, and clean the food and water cups and discard any seeds in the cups and give them all new seeds. Also, clean the bathroom with this mix too!p

In my view, any company who uses chemicals in a repair or maintenance service, of any home, should require that birds, aquariums, and all other pets should be removed from any home, before maintenance with chemicals being used is completed.

I am truly sorry for your loss! I am sending hugs!

Fly high and free sweet Buddy!!!! Over the rainbow bridge!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-03-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Spenser, I am so sorry for your loss of your parrot. Buddy. It is a terrible thing to have to experience. Unless you could have a vet do a necropsy, it would be difficult to say what happened to her. Since she was not as active and more quiet the last few days, she could have had some sort of bacterial or respiratory problem beginning to surface. Birds do hide their illnesses very cleverly. I do not know the answer you requested about her eyes being open.

A couple of months ago, my landlord had a maintenance person use some caulking in my bathroom. The smell was horrific, and I had to open windows and securely cover my two bird cages. The Landlord did not tell me this smell would go along with the repair. I kept my screen doors open all day, and kept the birds covered all day and all night. Even the next day the smell was still in my home!! Somehow I think the person who did this work for you should have known the smell would be there, enough so, that he or she would have told you to remove the birds from your home for a few days.

Birds are very fragile. My thought is that Buddy, being older, if it was the smell that killed her, did not have as strong of respiratory system as the other birds. And, quite honestly, it is a miracle they did not die too.

Chemicals do tend to stick around the home for awhile. My suggestion for you is to thoroughly clean the other bird cages inside and outside with a mix of white or apple cider vinegar, and warm water, and wipe down the perches and their toys, and clean the food and water cups and discard any seeds in the cups and give them all new seeds. Also, clean the bathroom with this mix too!p

In my view, any company who uses chemicals in a repair or maintenance service, of any home, should require that birds, aquariums, and all other pets should be removed from any home, before maintenance with chemicals being used is completed.

I am truly sorry for your loss! I am sending hugs!

Fly high and free sweet Buddy!!!! Over the rainbow bridge!!
    Thank you for your input I really appreciate it if anybody else knows anything about the eyes open eyes closed thing feel free to post , because I have read usually if their eyes are open it means they died pretty quickly where they didn't have time to close them or rather they can't close after death due to the muscle tone. Most of my birds that have passed away I have found them with their eyes closed although there have not been that many overall for me to judge.

I think she may have just had a heart attack because when I came home from work I could smell absolutely nothing in the apartment and if you say that when they did the caulking in your apartment it was so strong it lasted for a day I don't know if it would be that same type of caulk or I think I would have smelled it. Even when I put my face right up to the caulking itself which was only a small area near the bath tub not the entire bathtub, I could not smell anything at all and the door was shut. I did contact the manager again and she re verified with the person who did the work that he did only use caulk in the bathroom only and he did shut the door just did not put the towel under it and that he didn't use anything when he replaced the garbage disposal he didn't put any drain cleaner or anything he just unbolted and bolted the new one back in place. I told them I did not blame them so I wanted them to be honest but I just needed closure to narrow it down to what happened to her. I am thinking it was just a horrible coincidence that it happen the same day, or I think I would have even smelled some slight scent because it was only about a 6 hour time frame before I got home from work. I think I would have still smelled it if it would have been that strong. it was not completely dry when I got home but yet I could not smell it. I hope so I feel so guilty for not taking her with me but I didn't know they were going to do anything and not follow the instructions about the towels Etc

I am having a really hard time with her death and I haven't eaten for two days and I don't sleep but we all go through it when we lose them I just didn't want to lose her because of something I did or didn't do. But given the additional information by the manager and the fact I couldn't smell anything in the apartment even putting my face right up to it I kind of have a feeling it was just her time to go. My vet had told me even last year that sometimes older birds can just drop dead and that buddy was a bit overweight in the chest area the last time we were there. We adjusted her diet but she was still almost 33

Thank you so much for your input and to anyone else who might have anything to add. She was a great bird I tried to protect her whole life. I hope I didn't fail her
    Last edited by Spenser; 11-03-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry that you lost your loved Buddy and feel just horrible you had to find her that way. How tragic and sad it happened the same day as they worked on your house. I would think you could have smelled something if it was the caulking especially if you got right down and smelled the caulking. But then you really never know and if I were you I would probably wonder if it was the caulking for a very long time. It is just what we do.

Buddy had a good long life and she must of lived a good life since you care enough to come on here and ask questions. I never had a bird die suddenly so cannot say if there eyes were open or closed but I do know that a few birds who hit our big window outside had there eyes open when we found them. I would think if it was death by fumes it would not be instant and like you said she would have slowly died and probably closed her eyes. But I am no expert and just agreeing with you.

My heart goes out to you with your loss of your sweet buddy. Hugs to you

Fly free Buddy, you were loved...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your kindness. In my head I know it is probably not the caulking because there truly was no smell and the maintenance guy did shut the bathroom door even if he didn't put the towel under it. I also had the window next to her cage cracked about 2 in just in case, I am in Florida and it was around 65 that morning and around 83 later so it wasn't cold outside . I also had the air conditioner on like always, so logically it would seem it is not the caulking and they did not do anything else but unscrew the garbage disposal and put a new one they did not even put anything through the drain. However, as you said, in the back of my mind and my heart it always runs through my mind was it the caulking. It was so heartbreaking to lose her but to lose her that way and find her that way was just horrible. I was so careful with her I wouldn't even get new furniture or mattress because of the off-gassing around her. I only use stainless steel cookware, no air fresheners, nothing.

The only other odd thing because her eyes were open is that her feet were curved perfectly in an exact position as if she would have been sitting on a perch. I mean truly you could have almost put a perch through her feet and it would have fit perfectly . It makes me wonder if she did have a heart attack and simply fell off the perch instantly passing away. I guess I will never know and that's going to be something that makes it even harder. Almost all my birds I have had put to sleep after a long illness when there was no longer any hope.

She did not act ill, however I did find it a bit unusual and I was kind of in the "keep a watch on her mode"even before this because even though she still talked to me and climbed around in her cage, there were certain rituals we had that she was no longer doing. Such as in the morning we have a little morning song that she usually interacts as I uncover her cage and she didn't do that although she was fine when I opened the cage. We also have like a little evening song when I put them to bed and she didn't interact with that the day before either although she did not act ill. It's just so sad because the morning I left maintenance was in the parking lot and they said we're going to go in in just a minute and I said okay and I reminded them again about the bird and as I had left upstairs I said goodbye to Buddy at her cage and she said bye-bye which is the last thing she ever said to me, but she did not say bye as I went down the stairs and she usually says it 10 or 11 times. In fact when she said bye she was looking at me and I just got the strangest feeling . So it's hard to know and I may never know and it really makes it worse. Today when the manager verified everything with me, she told me who did the work and is someone who has done work in my apartment before and knows about the bird so I'm pretty sure if there would have been any major smell he would have called me or for sure remembered about the towel if it had not been him I would wonder if they just didn't care. So I don't know the only way I can possibly know anything even a small bit is if anybody knows about the open eyes. There is not a lot about it online although there are a couple things about birds that if they die suddenly they usually die with their eyes open because once they die the muscles do not close the eyes but if they die slowly then they will close their eyes. I can't find the initial article it might have even been on here it was about someone's cockatiel. I will ask my vet when I take the cat next Saturday. The cat is 16 and at the beginning of kidney failure so this is not been a good time for my two best friends. Thank you all for your kindness and all your input about Buddy over the years
    If anyone finds anything out about the eyes let me know it might help a little bit too narrow it down. Like I mentioned my vet had actually kind of warned me last year that due to her age it's possible in older birds that are a little bit overweight that they could just drop instantly. Last year she got a concussion when she fell from the top of her cage after a nail trim but she survived that and she survived another long illness a year before that where she had to stay in the incubator for a week at the vet. So it's hard to know. I am just so terribly terribly sad
    Thank you all for your support. I still can't believe she is not here.
    Last edited by Spenser; 11-03-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,304 Posts

Sending ((((((( hugs)))))) to you, today. After reading your replies, I have to agree with you that most probably it was a heart attack, or a slow few days of coming to the close of her life. I totally admire you for being such an awesome caregiver. It is absolutely wonderful that she lived all those years with you. And I think the heartbreak and pain would hurt so much, because of the bond you had with her. In my view, it is like losing a human child. I have always had compassion for any person who loses a loved child, or a loved bird or pet. Deanna, who posted here, can easily share with you and the forum members her journey in life with her beautiful and so very intelligent lovebird, Boomer, and how she still misses him to this very day.

We are here to support you as you mourn the loss of your previous and beautiful Buddy.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you all so much I could really use the support I don't have any family and sometimes friends kind of don't understand. I thought I was doing better thinking it was a heart attack but then I started thinking about the guy doing the garbage disposal also and even though he didn't put anything down at I'm wondering if the pipes when he had to undo them had some kind of smell and if that would have harmed her. It was much closer to her cage than the bathroom I doubt it but I just don't know. It was hard enough losing her but to find her like that and to wonder if it could have been prevented is almost unbearable. I hope you all understand
    It's just unbearable. It's just hard to believe it was a coincidence

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My heart aches for you and like Ellen said I went through months of sadness when we lost our Boomer. He had a illness that slowly took him away from us so in the end it was our choice to put him to sleep. I think it helped us cope a little bit better but without a doubt losing him took a huge piece of our hearts. My poor husband still gets tears in his eyes when we talk about Boomer. Even grown men cry losing there tiny little bird. I can only imagine your loss of your girl after all those years and your grief is something that will never go away. It will be replaced with good thoughts with tears so it does get better but you will forever miss her. Our birds truly are special. The way they look at you, the way they respond to you and the hardest is not having that cheep greeting when you walk through the door after going somewhere. They love us with all there hearts and depend on us for their life. Truly I am so sorry and we are here for you. Hugs!!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you I just don't know what to do. I've had to put other birds to sleep after long illnesses and that was hard enough but this is something I've never had to deal with before. I am so very careful with her. It could just be a cruel coincidence but I just will never know and it just torments me. My cat is in the final stages of kidney failure also so it's just a really bad time
    Everyone here is so very kind

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I'm so, so sorry for your loss honey.

I will say that I'm careful like you, to the point of neurotic sometimes (the others will tell you).

Caulking. There are two main kinds - caulk and sealant. Caulk is usually not very smelly, and doesn't contain anything really nasty. Sealant can be nasty smelling but it's usually only acetic acid (similar to vinegar), and while it does smell, I know one of my (good) vets has had decorating done in their surgery - where their own birds live. I queried it and was told it's best to get them out the house if possible - but that unless it was a huge amount, and they were shut in the room with it, then not an issue - and this is with a bird who has had pneumonia in the past and has known respiratory weaknesses from that.

So - I'm saying probably not that.

We lost one of our Keets very suddenly. She was a good age for a little bug, and it was a bit weird. I was heading off to uni, and we were having the conversation for a few days before about whether I'd take her with me or not initially. Day before should have left. She made an odd noise and fell off the perch. Her eyes were pinned and her head feathers all puffed up. She honestly looked like she was in the middle of a good game and had just... gone. Her name was Buddy as well. (Well, we thought she was a he, and by the time we realised it was easier to rename to Budelia ) It sounds like your Buddy may have been similar x

I'm so, so sorry for your loss, and your pain. But please try to remember that every tear you shed is a precious memory, and a moment of shared love. I hope soon your tears can turn to happier thoughts and memories x

And I'm so sorry your fur baby is poorly too x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much your information really helped. My vet said the same thing she said in all her years a practicing and she is a board-certified Avian diplomat, that she had never seen a bird react to caulking unless shut in a room right up on it, and Buddy was not. She didn't feel it was that either she really feels like it was a horrible coincidence and she had a heart attack. I was so careful with her just like you are with your birds, almost to the point of paranoia but I just was so careful with her and I felt I let her down and did not protect her, but your information really helped. I have loved all my animals with all my heart but I have never loved one as much as I love Buddy
    Thank you again for your information it really did help