where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Newbie to Forum

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Margaret
    Thanks

Newbie to Forum

Hi I am a newbie to the forum and looking for advice. A year ago my husband bought me 2 young Peach Faced Lovebirds for my birthday. Recently they laid 5 eggs, 1 every 2days in one of their metal food dishes. Four of the eggs have since hatched and the chicks seem to be thriving on dry egg food. My husband removed the 5th egg today as it wasn't hatching and when opened there was only a yellowish gloop inside. How can we help them survive to fledging particularly if they fall out their nest. Are we ok just to lift them back in. Can we keep the chicks and parents in the same cage or is it best to get more cages. Any advice on the way forward would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Margaret
    Thanks

Re: Newbie to Forum

Hi, I am in need of some urgent advice. Further to the above my Lovebird chicks are quite large and are still in the metal feeding dish. The parents have amassed a pile of shredded paper on the floor of the cage underneath the dish which is approx. 6 inches higher. My question is, should I place a bigger nest box or suitable dish on top of the pile of paper and move the birds into it or should I leave them where they are and let the parents deal with them if they fall out of the feeding dish.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry no one tried to help you the first time you posted her. I do not know that much about babies but have read stories about people taking the babies out of the nest and the parents abandoned them so I would not take them out of the cup at all. hopefully you can take the entire cup and put it down on the floor where the parents are building up the nest. Watch them closely and hopefully they will feed them once you move them. If not put the cup back where it was because it least the parents were taking care of them. once they are on the floor and get way too big for the cup try moving one out and hopefully the parents will feed it there. Then you can move the rest one at a time out over a few days.

I am hoping a someone else here with experience with babies comes on to help you out. I am really just guessing at what to do. I do know sudden changes sometimes makes the parents abandon them though and I hope this don't happen to you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

My idea was to put the bowl down too. A nest would have been safer, but lovebirds and all other species in general hates changes during breeding(reject of the babies), so yes, putting the bowldown can be the lesser evil!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanks Stephane, I was hoping someone who bred birds came along to help her.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads