Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Crocked neck

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Crocked neck

First, sorry if my English is bad, I'm not native.

So, one of my budgies, the female one, has her neck tilded to one side. That have happened before (some months ago) and after a few days she was back to normal, so I supposed it was just some muscular pain or something. But, it's happening again and it's not improving. And here comes the weird thing. She can actually move her head and neck correctly when eats and prenning, even when she is mad with his partner but the rest of the time... I don't know what to do. I wish I could go to a vet, but I can't and I'm really worried. Everything in her is normal, except for the neck (she can fly, more or less). She is being also agressive.
    What do you think? What can I do?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,168 Posts

Re: Crocked neck

Hi, and welcome! What diet do you feed them. Seeds, pellets, or both. Hoiw long have you had them? Do you recall ever seeing her fall, or fly into a wall or window? It is not unusual for them to be aggressive when they have a medical challenge, have been injured, or, as a result, have somewhat special needs compared to the other birds around them.

This could be a genetic marker as well. There are Avian vet websites. You might be able to visit with one on line, but, it may cost money to do so. At least, check out those sites. I do feel a Vet needs to know this budgie's problem. Sometimes diet can be the culprit, as well.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have her for a year and him for eight months, more or less. They eat seeds and spinach and I haven't seen her falling or flying into a wall but I can't know if she has fallen while I wasn't there. I don't know why is she being agressive but, I think she attacks anything that goes on her way, but when she realises it's me, she inmediatly stops. I'm really concerned about what coukd it be, because It's not like she couldn't put her neck correctly because I have seen her doing so. Seems like it hurts or something but I can't do anything.
    Do you know some of those Avian vets? Here avian vets are really expensive; it's ridiculous.

EDIT: She is being agressive just with the male but not enough to need a separation.
    Last edited by vads; 11-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Look up stargazing and see if this fits what she is doing. It is something neurological but I think it happens when they are younger then yours. I really cant say why your bird would be doing this at all. It is weird it all started to happen now and I really cant say why this is happening. If you know a place who sells birds around you or know of any breeders in your area sometimes these people are very smart about birds and may be able to help you out as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,168 Posts

I am thinking it could be the spinach, because it has a lot of iron in it, and too much iron is not good for any bird. If fed at all, it should be sparingly, perhaps once a week. If you look on the seed box or sack, you should see a list of vitamins Those vitamins most likely will include iron. So, feeding the spinach might be causing neurological problems. A good seed mix incorporates the proper vitamins which are needed for good health of the birds.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

They don't eat spinach too often. But maybe I won't put them for a while. I have read that she could have lack of Vitamin E so I'm ading vitamins to the water. She's kind of...improving or something. Sometimes she is better and sometimes goes back. She is being more active lately. I'm really confused. And, about the seeds, I try to give them the best mix and I have had another budgies that have been ok with it.

boomer girl, I went to pet shop and they told me that they don't know what could it be and recommended me to put them calcium.
    So, well, I just don't know, she seems to be ok except for the neck.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have read stories that stargazing birds do what your bird is doing in the beginning sometimes so that is why I mentioned it to you to look at to see if the signs fit her at all.

I wonder if she hurt herself somehow and her neck hurts so she lays it down this way but to me that is not right either but you never know. I really do hope it isn't something that is going to get worse in time.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have found this about that:
    "Stargazers" constantly throw their head back, sleep with their heads between their legs; go around in a circle; look at the ceiling, turn their heads around in a circle and look up. Stargazing can strike at random and without warning or past history of problems. Finches are particularly susceptible - although other species have been diagnosed with it.

But she doesn't throw her head back or keep looking at the ceiling. She can't fly, she has tried, but she fall. I haven't seen her sleeping because when she hears me, even a little, she wakes up instantly. When she makes some actions she puts her head correctly. Also, this happend before but she was ok after 3-4 days.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Good. I just remembered a long time ago one of my friends had a stargazer bird that she talked about and that is why I mentioned it to you because I was not sure if it fit your birds head movements or not. Hopefully your bird will get better in time.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Well, it's not like she moves her head too much so, I think her symptoms don't fit with that. I mean, she is like if nothing happens, but her neck is crocked.
    And, what happened to your friend's stargazer bird?

Remove Ads