where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: NEWBIE HELP Please

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Question NEWBIE HELP Please

Hello all- I need some advice and not sure where to begin. I have a pair of cockatiels. They have been good parents with their first clutch. Second clutch 1 out of 5 eggs hatched and mom and dad began to pluck. Pluck so bad that my 3 week babe is bald. I notice they are not interested in feeding her so I did what needed to be done. Seems she is getting the hang of it syringe feeding but only is eating a small amount before she falls asleep? IS this normal? I'm not versed and a new owner at that! I'm terrified to aspirate and feed on her left side slowly-- After researching the heck out of it, I accidentally fed her on her right! Then a video stated her left only- not to go under the tongue. She begins interested then falls asleep out of a 3 cc syringe she ate little over 1 and 1/2.... Crop is not getting full like it did when ma was feeding?! She isn't filling the crop. What do i need to do? Force her? So much conflicting info...I'm a mess! Also, what signs of trouble on the horizon do I need to be aware of? Accidentally aspirating? How can one tell?
    Temperature wise, I have a heating pad on low under the wooden nesting box. That ok? I'm so green, so cautious of everything. I don't have a scale, we live rather rurally. I would have to order one.

There is so much info out there I need a good feeding schedule for her. I'm doing 4 hours around the clock. Not sure how long I can sustain that. I work.

Any advice, suggestions would be so appreciated.Thank you tons in advance!!!!!! Maybe I should breathe?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: NEWBIE HELP Please

Hi, and welcome! We have a member, DesertDweller, aka Pat, who has great education and care of babies. She usually stops by most everyday. I hope she sees your post and can give you info. You might try sending her a private message here on the forum.

Remove Ads