Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is a budgies tail supposed to be clipped?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Is a budgies tail supposed to be clipped?

My mother took my bird in to clip my budgies wings today, the last four times we did this my parakeet came back fine with only her flight wings cut. However this time the avian vet came back saying he wont be doing my bird anymore because she is an Ďaśsholeí and bites him while hes doing her beak, flies from him, etc. he cut her beak and she started bleeding, then almost cut her toe off when clipping her nails, and then said because she was able to fly after cutting the wings he clipped them even more!! When my mom brought them home I instantly noticed her tailfeather was gone! Its now a stub, worse then when she was a baby! Her wings are fully clipped but now her long tail is gone! Is he supposed to clip that part?! Hes never done it before, so why now? I feel so bad! She looks so weird and bad with her tailfeather gone! The guy also proceeded to tell me Iíll never be able to tame her because shes too wild, and my mom and I fought about it because her cockatiel comes out and plays after having him for a few months while my bird refuses to come to me after a year! Iím really upset at the both of them, but Iím more concerned about her wellbeing. Will she be ok? Will it grow back? How can I tell if shes sick if I cant look for a tail bobbing?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Is a budgies tail supposed to be clipped?

This is very sad to read and I am sorry the person you trusted to cut her wings did this to her. Treating her like she was treated will only make it harder for her to be tamed to be with you. No way should her tail feathers ever be cut. Are the long ones cut or are the completely gone? If she tried to fly away from the person the girl might have grabbed her by her tail feathers and pulled them out. Tail feathers are made to fall out easily so if a predator tried to grab them by the tail the feathers will fall out so the bird can get away. If they are gone then they will grow back rather quickly but if they are truly cut then this girl did indeed cut them and I myself would throw a fit about it and not ever let her touch your bird again. People who can handle birds can quickly cut the feathers on even the meanest of birds. It is all about holding them correctly. I know your Mom might blame your bird but to me this is someone who doesn't know how to trim feathers. Birds do not bite that hard to deserve to mistreated like yours was and I am sorry that happened.

Don't give up on your bird and she may just surprise you one day and like to be touched. I have a girlfriend who tried to get her lovebird to sit on her and her bird just refused. Her bird would come close to her and be curious but never sit on her for over 2 years. Then one day she hopped on her shoulder and liked being there and kept on doing it. She bribed her lovie with spray millet and safflower seeds which lovebirds love. When you feed your bird fresh seeds watch which ones she picks out to eat first and that should be the seed you use to bribe her.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you. I was beyond mad when I saw her tail feathers gone completely! My mom and I had a fight over it because she said that she couldnt tell the bird guy how to do his job, but its absolutely rude to do that to my poor bird! Yes she does get crazy and flies away all the time but lately she has been getting more and more curious and even started to sit and watch me when I come close to the cage unlike before where she ran away. I wont be clipped her wings ever again after this!
    Her tail is completely gone, all the way up to her butt. It looks like it was chopped! Last time she tried to fly the guy grapped her tail feathers and they fell out on the way home but this time is different. It doesnt look like they were Ďaccidently pulledí more like revenge for flying away from the person doing the wings! Luckily she doesnt seem too upset and is still talking to the h&k heater, but she seems to be breathing a little funny? Could it be just her being scared still? Iím terrified to take her to a vet now cause I donít want them mistreating her again.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,168 Posts

Hopefully, her tail feathers will grow back. That will take some time. And I do feel you are wise to not clip her wing flights anymore. The guy who worked on her certainly had no expertise or experience in clipping. The only wing feathers to clip are the flights, and just a very small amount of the tip of the wing flight to be clipped is the only amount needed. When she gets more friendly, I would suggest spritizing her body and wings with some luke warm water. Growing back feathers does take awhile, and the skin gets so very dry. The spritz will soften up her skin and make her feel better.

Do observe and watch her breathing, because it is possible she could have picked up some bacteria, or an infection from being at a different place, where, I suppose there are other birds. Please keep us updated. We will watch for updates. I am so sorry this happened to your budgie friend!
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-08-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

It sucks living practically in the middle of no where. Hes the only person to do birds at the vet, and just to get to that vet takes an hour. I donít know what to do now since he refuses to clip her nails and file her beak. Does she need her beak filed and nails trimmed? I know her nails do but the beak? Is that necessary?
    I have a small heater in her cage that she sits next to, should I unplug it so her skin doesnt dry out? It doesnt get hot, just a little warm, less then lukewarm.
    She actually likes the water when I spray her, she jumps to the front cage bars and lets me spray her belly. She has also been rubbing her head against the end of the perch to scratch behind her head and side of her head for a few days now.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My daughters conure loves his little cage heater and if it is cool at night leave it on for her. I know Tikki snuggles up to his every night and when he takes naps and your birds heater sounds like ours with it getting just warm.

I am happy you are not getting her wings trimmed there anymore. If this guy was at the vets office then he needs to learn how to treat birds and trim feathers right because no way would this ever happen our vets office. We too live in far away from big cities so we have to travel just over a hour to our vet and she is a excellent vet so worth it. If you can hold your bird you can use baby toenail clippers to trim her nails. All you got to do is barely nip off the tip where it is sharp. They make styptic pens which if you trim too much and they bleed it stops the blood. Our vet snips off a toenail short to draw blood and then dabs the pen on it and it stops the bleeding instantly. We never trimmed our birds nails much here but they were out of the cage free flying mostly and only caged when we left the house or at night time. My daughter would also hold Boomer tight and use a emery board to take the point off his nails to keep them from poking us. We never filed beaks here so I would say as long as it doesn't grow too long it is fine. Give them toys that are rough to keep it filed.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads