Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 2 Male Budgies won't bond to me.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wordie
    Thanks

Question 2 Male Budgies won't bond to me.

Hello!

I'm really new to bird keeping and birds in general and I would love it if you spent a second to tell me what am I supposed to do in my current situation.

I've had 1 male budgie that I was taming slowly each day. I didn't rush. I took my time for the bird to get used to the new surroundings and to basically get the stress off its neck. After that time I've spent most of the time talking to the bird, whistling with it and basically trying to get it to like me. In no time (1-2 week timespan to be exact) the bird would step on my finger to eat some food. It was quickly becoming tamed more and more untill a time I've opened the cage, took it out and watched him fail to fly around my room, bumping into everything like crazy. Nothing happend to him, fortunately. He was just getting way more attatched. But skipping that, he would just get out everyday after I came from school, he would fly around just to grab on the window shutters and to fly back on my hand whenever I would place it infront of him. As time went by I quickly realized he might want some companionship, as I stated before I only was there for him when out of school, and I felt guilty as he would have to be alone most of the day. I've decided to get him a companion, another male budgie. At first they weren't liking eachother, and It's normal because they sometimes do that as far as I know. Over time they got used to eachother more and more, and even tho they still sometimes fight for the perch or food, or just without any reason, it really is way better than in the beggining. I got them 2 food bowls, gave them both as much attention and tried my best to get some space for both of them in their cage, so they wouldn't fight over it. So I began to take them out again. Whenever the new budgie would saw the old one taken out from the cage, or jumping up on my hand to get some food, he would do the same. And now here I am, in a situation which in the old budgie trusts me way less than before, and with the new budgie being WAY harder to tame.

I'm in my room all day, besides the school and other stuff, i sing with them all day and i seek to give them treats all day, to make them trust me, and yet still they get less trustworthy as from what I've originally stated and seen within the timespan since i got the new budgie. Will i ever be able to tame them both, so I could get them to a state where i would open the cage just to realize they both are on my finger, waiting impatiently to be taken out and sit around me with happiness, chirping out to eachother and jumping on me.

I know that I have to give them time, and I am not the type of person that expects a lot but ends up with nothing and doesn't want anything to do with the thing i got, in this example: birds. I'm just concerned about if getting a second bird was a good idea, since i don't really know if they will tame very good and get really attatched to me, as they got eachother.

Please let me know what i shall do.

(NOTE: birds are from a petstore, new bird was being tamed in the store by a nice lady.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: 2 Male Budgies won't bond to me.

Hi, and welcome to the community. I think you are doing well with them. It is normal for them to be focused on each other. But, you can still have a bond with both of them. I would suggest you take one at a time out of the cage and do some training in a small room, such as the bathroom. Use a wooden dowl, small perch, or unsharpened pencil as a training tool. Get some millet sprigs at the pet store, and use them during training. Teach the budgie to step up on the pencil, or perch, by gently pressing the perch into his tummy area. That will automatically get him to step up. Then, take a sprig of the millet and let your budgie eat millet seeds off the top of the sprig. Praise him, tell him good boy, that was great, etc., and repeat this exercise a couple of times a day. And train both of them separately this way. After a week or so, then try having both of them out of cage, in that small room, and train them together. Soon, in my view, your bond with them will improve, and you will have made two forever friends.

I think it was great you got the second budgie. Do not lose heart. Time and patience are on your side. We will welcome updates and pictures anytime!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wordie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community. I think you are doing well with them. It is normal for them to be focused on each other. But, you can still have a bond with both of them. I would suggest you take one at a time out of the cage and do some training in a small room, such as the bathroom. Use a wooden dowl, small perch, or unsharpened pencil as a training tool. Get some millet sprigs at the pet store, and use them during training. Teach the budgie to step up on the pencil, or perch, by gently pressing the perch into his tummy area. That will automatically get him to step up. Then, take a sprig of the millet and let your budgie eat millet seeds off the top of the sprig. Praise him, tell him good boy, that was great, etc., and repeat this exercise a couple of times a day. And train both of them separately this way. After a week or so, then try having both of them out of cage, in that small room, and train them together. Soon, in my view, your bond with them will improve, and you will have made two forever friends.

I think it was great you got the second budgie. Do not lose heart. Time and patience are on your side. We will welcome updates and pictures anytime!
    Thank you for the response!

I've been already training my birds before with an everyday plan looking like this:

- At a certain hour get both of the birds on top of the cage, luring them with food,
    - Train step up, fly up to me with the older bird, as the new one was watching, sometimes he even flied up,
    - Get older bird in cage, train step up with new one (as the older one wouldn't let him do it as they were both up there),
    - Get the other bird in cage

End session.

But it got worse with time and they don't fly up anymore. I guess it's due to that they get the same amount of millet for less exercisement (step up). Is there any way to get them to fly up again and make them want to do that?
    I also wanted to state that every time i get in cage without food, they wont perch on my finger. The older bird seems to run away everytime i try to gently press under his belly. Same thing with outside of the cage, when they get millet, they just jump off instantly. I can't take them far from the cage when on my hand eating, not to mention when they are separate. It didn't happen when there was 1 bird. They also seem to follow eachother wherever they go, fly etc. I will also mention that when one is on top of the cage, another wants to get there (while inside cage), but i just don't want to get one well trained bird and one none trained.

I will try to get a pencil as You have recommended, tho i don't think i'll be able to keep them separate while training, or atleast, not any further than from the cage top. They yell and contact with eachother as for when they are atleast 1 meter away from the cage

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wordie
    Thanks

Hey!

Here for an update,
    I am pretty sure that one of my bird is sick. I've been treating it with a medicine added to a water dish. Today I've got a second cage that i lent from my friend as i had to implant anti-parasite medicine on their necks as i still wasn't sure if it was a parasite infection or just a cold. The older bird didn't think much about it, after i held him and placed back in his cage, he seems to be calm again. I am more concerned about the small birdie trust tho, but i think it will be all alright. I'm just hoping all will be good with their health status.

I'm keeping them separated for a day to get the medicine off, as they were in need of 2 different cages so they wouldn't preen eachother. I think it will be also good for them, as they already miss eachother and want to get back as quickly as possible. The older bird started chirping a lot more even!

I also tried the pen, and they seem to be a little scared. But I will keep on trying for them to become calm with it.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Did you contact a vet, or someone educated in bird sickness to get the OK to give the medicine. And are you certain it is parasites? In my view, it may be a bacterial infection, and usually a vet needs to see the bird and then prescribe medication. I would suggest you call an Avian vet and explain the symptoms you are seeing in the sick bird. They should be able to tell you what is best to give for an infection.

It is entirely normal for them to want to play together. I would suggest take it slow and easy with them. Time and patience are on your side. If you leave one in the cage, and take the other into a room alone, with the door shut, you should have some success in training. It is better to take one alone, because two will want to do everything together, such as the flying everywhere.

I think you are doing great with them. Do not lose heart. Training is always evolving, and the more they learn, the better your friendship will be. Keep up the great work you are doing, and make that call to the vet. Being so small, they cannot be sick long, without proper treatment and can succumb to an illness. It is good you have separated them.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

If they are already bonder to each other, then it would be very hard to bond with them. But do still try to as least be friends with them.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wordie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Did you contact a vet, or someone educated in bird sickness to get the OK to give the medicine. And are you certain it is parasites? In my view, it may be a bacterial infection, and usually a vet needs to see the bird and then prescribe medication. I would suggest you call an Avian vet and explain the symptoms you are seeing in the sick bird. They should be able to tell you what is best to give for an infection.

It is entirely normal for them to want to play together. I would suggest take it slow and easy with them. Time and patience are on your side. If you leave one in the cage, and take the other into a room alone, with the door shut, you should have some success in training. It is better to take one alone, because two will want to do everything together, such as the flying everywhere.

I think you are doing great with them. Do not lose heart. Training is always evolving, and the more they learn, the better your friendship will be. Keep up the great work you are doing, and make that call to the vet. Being so small, they cannot be sick long, without proper treatment and can succumb to an illness. It is good you have separated them.
    Yes, the shop I've got them from has a vet really nearby, and I've got told that I can give it to the birds without any worry, even if they weren't sick, and that it would be better if I just didn't stress them out with a vet visit.
    The bird seems to get better now, and is chirping happily with his friend.

As again, thank You for the response, and I will try to do as You've told me to. I will try to get them out separately and train them invidually. But I've realized, maybe it wasn't the great time to train them yet?

And here I have another question: should I force to take them out of the cage?
    I've always lured them on my hand with seeds, then quickly try to get them out, even if they wanted to stay in the cage and jump onto the nearest perch. I think I may have done it wrong and that I've been stressing the birds.
    The routine that i talked about is 100% broke now, and I am trying a new technique. Every day as I fill the food dish for them I first of all get some food on my hand, hand feed them (the new bird started to come eat too) then gently fill their dishes again.
    I also put my hand in for 30s-1min everyday 1-3 times, while talking to them with a soothing tone.

So, should I get them to want to hop on my finger and be taken out of cage without them being mad at it, then train them, or take them out with "force"?
    Also, as I've said before I don't get to keep the cage. I don't have much place for another one, and most importantly, when i saw them reunite after the "quarantine" I really felt bad, because they were showing the most out of their birdie friendship (Kissing, preening; You name it!)

Do You maybe have any tips how I could get them to willingly, or atleast, without being scared get them out of the cage? And also, would i have to grab them or put in a small box while going to another room?
    How could I get him not to fly away and bump all around the room he's never been in?

Would you reccomend me to clip their wings?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really need help and I appriciate the time You put into the replies

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi! Right now, I think they are doing great, and, I think you are right to just take plenty of time with them, doing what you are now. Time and patience are always on your side. For now, focus on the new idea you had about feeding them. You might consider a certain time of day to let them out of cage. When that time comes each day, take a plate and put some millet seeds, their seeds, and perhaps some fresh chopped apples, washed in a mix of Apple cider vinegar, just a tablespoon, with a cup of warm water, and rinse the fresh apples. Vinegar is very cleansing for fruits and veggies, and will remove any bacteria on them, before eating. Place the plate on top of the cage, open the door, and see if they will come out on their own. It is best to never force them out. But instead, give them the plate of seeds and foods, to entice them out. You can either buy or make a butterfly net. They are excellent for catching them, because having to towel or use gloves to catch tberm frightens them. All budgies like to fly high up onto the curtain rods, and are hard to catch. The net will be a great tool to catch them. Personal!y, I would not clip their wings. I feel that the wings are their heart and soul, because Nature created them to fly. And also, clipping can severely affect their balance, and sometimes the wing flights never grow back properly. You can get small bird carriers at the pet shop. They are not expensive. Use the carrier to put one in, and leave the other one in the big cage. Take the little carrier and the bird into the training room. Then, after training, put it back in the carrier, take it back to the big cage, and put the bird back into that cage. You also could have the little carrier close by to put them when you net them. You then can take the carrier back to the cage to put them in.

Each day will bring something new for them. You can try other ideas you may have as well. We will watch for updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-21-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wordie
    Thanks

Hello again

I've got a TON of spring millet just for training them and I have some questions on my mind again.

The birds seem a lot more calm with my hand inserted in, and I couldn't hesitate to not get the older bird out. I made sure he would be okay with it, and it seemed that he didn't want to hop back on perch. After getting outside of the cage, he quickly jumped on top of the cage, as usual. He does still step up on command but only with millet spring in hand. I've noticed the small budgie wanted to get out too, and I made sure not to make any sudden moves, and slowely approach him. He was a little bit scared about it, but not a lot, as he knows I'm not such a threat anymore. He stayed in eventaully, though. I've placed the older budgie back in cage and he quickly jumped on the nearest perch. I gave them some more seed then and finished. I will try to get them to get out by themselve though, just like You've recommended with the apples, as I don't want to stress them so much, and I could easily train them that way, as they are used to the on-top-of-the-cage thingy already. I bought a little plastic dish for that, and I'll try to lure them that way by tommorow. I am also going to buy that small cage to train them in separate rooms. I've noticed on some videos that the budgies will focus on me more, as they dont know anything that surrounds them but me, thus I can tame them a lot easier. Do You think that the training on the top would be okay for now tho? As I'm not gonna get that new cage super quickly.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes!!! Go for the training on top of the cage. You are doing awesome and they are too!!!!!!! Yaaaay!!! Time and patience will win,!!!!!!! We will watch for updates!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wordie
    Thanks

Incredibly great news everyone!

The two birds are shockingly getting tamed faster and faster every single day. When I reunied with them today I saw them go crazy, and the old bird got right on the hand with food, after which I've took him out of the cage with. He is not afraid at all! He wants to get out on top of the cage and get a lot of spring millet for stepping up, and what I'm really proud of is that he doesn't jump right off after getting all the millet. He stays on it! He stays and waits for more, and even if i don't give more to him, all he does is just stand there and jumps off after quite a long time! I've still not managed to get him away from the cage while perched on my finger, but I assume it's mostly due to the other bird, which I've also managed to take out without scaring it! It watched the other bird get so much millet, he jumps on the command like he knew everything from the start! He even flies up to my hand just to get some more millet, even tho I'm turned the other direction. I have to take each bird out separately though, as they both want to perch and go crazy about it

Thank You so much for all the feedback. I will update as much as I can about our bond in the near future

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy to read your post and see the progress you made with them both in such a short time. This is GREAT!! I have a feeling the millet will get them to fly right to you very soon and they will learn quickly that you are there friend and might just hang out with you when they are out of the cage. Millet is very much loved by lots of birds but not all of them like it. My daughters bird Tikki don't like it at all but Boomer our lovebird who is no longer with us use to LOVE it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yaay!!!!!!! What great progress they have made!! Keep up the bonding with them!!! Sudden!y, you have become their best friend!!!!!. We will watch for updates!!!

Remove Ads