Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 2 Male Budgies won't bond to me.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wordie
    Thanks

Question 2 Male Budgies won't bond to me.

Hello!

I'm really new to bird keeping and birds in general and I would love it if you spent a second to tell me what am I supposed to do in my current situation.

I've had 1 male budgie that I was taming slowly each day. I didn't rush. I took my time for the bird to get used to the new surroundings and to basically get the stress off its neck. After that time I've spent most of the time talking to the bird, whistling with it and basically trying to get it to like me. In no time (1-2 week timespan to be exact) the bird would step on my finger to eat some food. It was quickly becoming tamed more and more untill a time I've opened the cage, took it out and watched him fail to fly around my room, bumping into everything like crazy. Nothing happend to him, fortunately. He was just getting way more attatched. But skipping that, he would just get out everyday after I came from school, he would fly around just to grab on the window shutters and to fly back on my hand whenever I would place it infront of him. As time went by I quickly realized he might want some companionship, as I stated before I only was there for him when out of school, and I felt guilty as he would have to be alone most of the day. I've decided to get him a companion, another male budgie. At first they weren't liking eachother, and It's normal because they sometimes do that as far as I know. Over time they got used to eachother more and more, and even tho they still sometimes fight for the perch or food, or just without any reason, it really is way better than in the beggining. I got them 2 food bowls, gave them both as much attention and tried my best to get some space for both of them in their cage, so they wouldn't fight over it. So I began to take them out again. Whenever the new budgie would saw the old one taken out from the cage, or jumping up on my hand to get some food, he would do the same. And now here I am, in a situation which in the old budgie trusts me way less than before, and with the new budgie being WAY harder to tame.

I'm in my room all day, besides the school and other stuff, i sing with them all day and i seek to give them treats all day, to make them trust me, and yet still they get less trustworthy as from what I've originally stated and seen within the timespan since i got the new budgie. Will i ever be able to tame them both, so I could get them to a state where i would open the cage just to realize they both are on my finger, waiting impatiently to be taken out and sit around me with happiness, chirping out to eachother and jumping on me.

I know that I have to give them time, and I am not the type of person that expects a lot but ends up with nothing and doesn't want anything to do with the thing i got, in this example: birds. I'm just concerned about if getting a second bird was a good idea, since i don't really know if they will tame very good and get really attatched to me, as they got eachother.

Please let me know what i shall do.

(NOTE: birds are from a petstore, new bird was being tamed in the store by a nice lady.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,168 Posts

Re: 2 Male Budgies won't bond to me.

Hi, and welcome to the community. I think you are doing well with them. It is normal for them to be focused on each other. But, you can still have a bond with both of them. I would suggest you take one at a time out of the cage and do some training in a small room, such as the bathroom. Use a wooden dowl, small perch, or unsharpened pencil as a training tool. Get some millet sprigs at the pet store, and use them during training. Teach the budgie to step up on the pencil, or perch, by gently pressing the perch into his tummy area. That will automatically get him to step up. Then, take a sprig of the millet and let your budgie eat millet seeds off the top of the sprig. Praise him, tell him good boy, that was great, etc., and repeat this exercise a couple of times a day. And train both of them separately this way. After a week or so, then try having both of them out of cage, in that small room, and train them together. Soon, in my view, your bond with them will improve, and you will have made two forever friends.

I think it was great you got the second budgie. Do not lose heart. Time and patience are on your side. We will welcome updates and pictures anytime!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wordie
    Thanks

Re: 2 Male Budgies won't bond to me.

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community. I think you are doing well with them. It is normal for them to be focused on each other. But, you can still have a bond with both of them. I would suggest you take one at a time out of the cage and do some training in a small room, such as the bathroom. Use a wooden dowl, small perch, or unsharpened pencil as a training tool. Get some millet sprigs at the pet store, and use them during training. Teach the budgie to step up on the pencil, or perch, by gently pressing the perch into his tummy area. That will automatically get him to step up. Then, take a sprig of the millet and let your budgie eat millet seeds off the top of the sprig. Praise him, tell him good boy, that was great, etc., and repeat this exercise a couple of times a day. And train both of them separately this way. After a week or so, then try having both of them out of cage, in that small room, and train them together. Soon, in my view, your bond with them will improve, and you will have made two forever friends.

I think it was great you got the second budgie. Do not lose heart. Time and patience are on your side. We will welcome updates and pictures anytime!
    Thank you for the response!

I've been already training my birds before with an everyday plan looking like this:

- At a certain hour get both of the birds on top of the cage, luring them with food,
    - Train step up, fly up to me with the older bird, as the new one was watching, sometimes he even flied up,
    - Get older bird in cage, train step up with new one (as the older one wouldn't let him do it as they were both up there),
    - Get the other bird in cage

End session.

But it got worse with time and they don't fly up anymore. I guess it's due to that they get the same amount of millet for less exercisement (step up). Is there any way to get them to fly up again and make them want to do that?
    I also wanted to state that every time i get in cage without food, they wont perch on my finger. The older bird seems to run away everytime i try to gently press under his belly. Same thing with outside of the cage, when they get millet, they just jump off instantly. I can't take them far from the cage when on my hand eating, not to mention when they are separate. It didn't happen when there was 1 bird. They also seem to follow eachother wherever they go, fly etc. I will also mention that when one is on top of the cage, another wants to get there (while inside cage), but i just don't want to get one well trained bird and one none trained.

I will try to get a pencil as You have recommended, tho i don't think i'll be able to keep them separate while training, or atleast, not any further than from the cage top. They yell and contact with eachother as for when they are atleast 1 meter away from the cage

Remove Ads