Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Not sure what to do!

Cockatiels Brand New Egg
    Name
    Autumn
    Thanks

Not sure what to do!

Hello!
    So i started out with my first cockatiel, Wisp, about a year and a half old, got her as a baby. She has been no problem. Loves coming out of the cage, really curious and overall happy. Easiest pet ever. Then about 7 months ago i got her brother from a friend. Stark, he has never liked me. He is extremely picky and not good with anything new. I was doing okay for the last little while with them both. But now i have a bit of a dilemma. I have to move out! And Stark is super loud, and because of his picky eating, pretty expensive. I'm not sure if I should suck it up and try to keep them together and risk complaints about his loudness or if I should risk depression in my Wisp and give Stark away. If i give him away, not only would wisp be losing her bonded brother but I wont be home all the time, she would get lonely! I'm not sure what to do.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Not sure what to do!

Hi, and welcome to the community. You do have a big decision to make. If you have to sign a new rental lease, there probably will be conditions for pet behavior. I do not know if you would consider finding a home that would take both of them, but I think even though they do not have the best friendship, at least they know each other, and would adapt to a new home much better if one is not left behind.

In the future, you could consider having new bird or birds if your lease allows it. This is just my own opinion. I hope you can work it out for the best of both of them, and you, because it really hurts alot to have to give your bird or birds away. It is heartbreaking. But, at least, if they can go to a new home together, that would, in my view, be somewhat less painful for you, knowing they are in a good home.

Cockatiels Brand New Egg
    Name
    Autumn
    Thanks

I was told recently by a friend that if they do get to be a problem she would hold on to them for me till I've finished school. Thank you for the helpful bit of input!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Oh, that is great news! I am happy for you that your friend will take them until you finish school.

Remove Ads