Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Please keep good thoughts for Paradise victims

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Please keep good thoughts for Paradise victims

The Camp Fire fire wiped out the town of Paradise, California. It's considered the worst fire destruction in the state's history. My granddaughter, her husband and 2 young children, plus her mother all lost everything they had.

My great granddaughter is only 4 years old and she was terrified as the family fled. My granddaughter told me that the trees were on fire on each side of the road, and the fire was actually melting the road's guard rails as they drove through the area. That's a terrible experience for anyone, but especially for such young children. My great grandson is a year old, so I'm hoping he's too young to have any lasting imprint on his memory. But, thank God they are all safe.

So many people have been confirmed dead so far - 29 - and they're still sifting through the ashes for more. There are over 200 plus people still missing.

The Cranston Fire had a heavy impact on my health this summer, but I wasn't even close to it. I'm just barely recovering from that, and it's been over 3 months. I cannot even comprehend what people are going through in the Chico area.

I don't know yet what I can do for my family. But, I told my granddaughter that once she has an address where I can send things to let me know. Right now she says she's doing okay. I just don't have a way of getting anything to her yet.

I'm taking care of another daughter who just lost her home. She just moved in with me this weekend. I'm at wit's end trying to figure out how I can help everyone.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,178 Posts

Re: Please keep good thoughts for Paradise victims

Oh, Pat, I am so sorry this has happened to your beloved family members! I will be keeping all of them and you in my prayers. I have been watching the weather channel, and see those cars trying to drive down the highway with those fire flames on both sides, and especially in the dark. I cry when I watch it, and I feel very sad for all your family members, and especially the precious little grand babies /children. That is a terrible emotional experience for them.

I have a friend I once knew, years ago, who lives now, or once lived in Chico. She would tell me how beautiful and peaceful it was there. I have not heard if any of these fires were arson. You take care of your health. Sending ((((((((((hugs))))))))) to you! And many, many prayers for ALL! Ellen

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thank you, Ellen. This fire was not arson. It's believed to have been caused by faulty power line equipment. The power company was scheduled to do a repair on the equipment and it ended up causing a fire before they got to it.

One thing that my granddaughter and I cling to is faith in God. That helps a whole lot. Thank you for your prayers.
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You bet!! Thankfully, we have and can share that faith! Prayers to all of you for today and days ahead.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry to hear that your grand daughter lost her house and had to flee this fire. I cannot even imagine the terror of fleeing through so much fire like so many had to do in this fire. Each car they tow away off the road is sadly checked for bodies before anything else is done. I have friends who lost everything and the stories and videos of people fleeing is just heartbreaking. I pray this will never happen to me but part of living in our forests and mountains in California is living with a big fire danger this time of the year. We too only have one way out of our neighborhood in a car like so many in the Paradise fire had but we have a plan to run down to the water canal below us on the other side and if possible get to the railroad tracks which are cleared of trees and brush.

There is now 42 deaths reported and over 200 are still missing in this horrible fire. The entire town is gone with very few buildings left untouched by this fire. Our sky here is dark with the smoke from this fire but it is high up so thankfully we are not smelling it only every now and then. I hear in Sacramento it is horrible and just today I read they were closing schools, businesses and other things because of the awful smoke in the valley.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thank you Deanna. I pray that you will never experience anything like this.
    The city of Paradise had an evacuation plan, but only for portions of the city. They never expected such a huge, fast-moving fire, so they were caught unawares.

It's a terrible tragedy.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I do not think there has ever been a fire like the Paradise Fire. It was just the perfect conditions to turn a spark into a tragedy. It is shocking how many people have been effected. I really do hope your grand daughter will find her peace with what happened to her and her family. I could not even fathom what she saw and had to do to be safe away from her loved home.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

She said her 4 year old daughter freaked out when they were going through the fire. Very understandable. I just hope that she's young enough to forget it soon.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Sometimes, repressed memories from a young age can come back years later, and cause anxiety, fear, and other behavioral problems. Depending upon the respected beliefs of parents of young children, it may be necessary to seek counsellng for those who suffered in such a terrible event. They can also have flashbacks. And, some adults too would need counseling. I would compare this event to the horrors our United States mlitary suffer in combat. Many of them end up with PTSD, and other medical challenges.

I truly pray and hope your loved ones will not suffer. I think family love and support for each other will truly help a lot!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

No doubt she is going to be very afraid of living in the mountains like this after going through what she did. Paradise has no way out except I heard two main roads and sadly the ones who choose one road could not drive out and had to run out or die and the other one was longer but the one people could get out of town on to safety. This fire is the worst thing I ever have seen in Northern California and sadly it may happen again. Today is a Red Flag warning day with winds and still no rain. Thankfully they are expecting rain on Weds so hopefully that will open our storm doors and get the fire danger out of here.

I hope your grand daughter is doing better each day. I feel just horrible for what she must of felt like escaping through a burning forest like she did.

Name
    William
    Thanks

I’m so sorry to hear about all this.☹️ It must be hard for you to hear about this and not being able to be there with them comforting your family. Again, I’m so sorry.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thank you all for the kind words. My granddaughter told me she left the place where she had been staying because they needed to get away from the smoky air. I still don't know where she is. My great granddaughter said she misses her toys. I want to ship some to her via Amazon, but I can't until she gives me at least a PO box to ship them to. But she doesn't know where she'll be from one day to the next. It's a really tough situation.

Fortunately, my family there has somewhere to go with a roof over their heads. My heart breaks for those who are living in tent communities.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, it is totally heartbreaking, for your granddaughter, great granddaughter and family, and ALL who were in this terrible, horrifying event. Keeping you, and your granddaughter and family and everyone affected, in my prayers.

Remove Ads