where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: :(

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

:(

Feel like it's a horrible case of deja vu. Sammy (and Bluey) have been snuffling and sneezing for few weeks. Week of marbocyl and f10 nebulisation didn't do much, so vet switched to azythromiacin. Took them back tonight as really worried about my little Pickle. Bluey is holding his own and doing about the same, but my little Lovie? He's gotten worse. Vet can now hear on his chest, and concerned he's dropped two grams! Though he did say his scales are only accurate to two grams, and I have changed feeding a bit, so possibly nothing.

So we've got another antibiotic, plus one we'll need to nebulise, and an anti fungal. As Bluey has held his own better, he's just getting the new antibiotics.

And we've got an anti inflammatory too, but that's just in case for now.

Just feeling really wrung out and stressed right now... And struggling not to have flashbacks to Sparks, bless her soul.

Anyway, thank you for reading. Just wanted to share with my birdy family x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

Re: :(

Aww, Helen. I am so sorry for you that they are sick. I am sending healing thoughts and prayers for their complete recovery, and hugs to you. It is sooooo stressful and sad when they are not feeling well and have to be treated with meds. P!ease keep us updated.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Noooo!!! I am so sorry to read this post and know how worried you have to be right now. Thank goodness Bluey is responding to the meds. Please try not think of your sweet Sparky, Sam is much stronger then Sparky and he will fight to get better. I am truly so sorry he is not responding to the meds and I really hope the new treatment will get him better. My heart goes out to you and no doubt I know what you have to be going through right now. It is so hard to forget the struggles we both had with our sweet Sparky and Boomer. For so long it wasn't known if they would ever get better and sadly they did not But this not AGY and sinus troubles are much easier to treat. I will be sending many get well thoughts to your sweet Sammy and please keep us updated. I am here for you and so are others.

Hugs to you and prayers for your Sammy boy.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Thank you so much guys xxxxx. Not much of an update really, but they're both still here and still fighting. Bluey seems less out of sorts, but he was more stable to start with, but is still audibly wheezing and tail bobbing. Sammy is clicking and wheezing, and his breathing seems laboured. At times he's hopping around playing and escaped under table while I was trying to dose... But he's exhausting energy and going back to puffing really fast. Other times I can see his little chest heaving from across the room when he's just resting.

He is also being really difficult about taking his meds even my amazing vet struggled!

Bluey on the other hand has actually decided he likes taste and (after the screaming rant about being handled) calmly holds his beak open and mashes together happily. If only he would reached Sammy to take his meds nicely, and Sammy would teach Bluey to politely be scooped up instead of running around screaming in terror everytime.... Then would be a lot less stressful!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh my goodness I really do hope things get better for the birds soon. It has to be stressing you out like crazy seeing both of them sick like this. My thoughts are with you and I hope the birds respond to the meds so they will stop making you worry. Hugs to you! You must be so afraid seeing them like this, I would be a mess!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Thanks hunny. It is pretty scary. Bluey decided he'd had enough of the mistreatment and tried to commit suicide. Zoomed round the living room and landed on Dad's dog. Fortunately Rolo is just about the best behaved boy ever a sauntered over to let me reclaim, dose and nebulise the bad budgie! He's been chattering away most of the day, but is still doing the wheezy snorting noise.

Sam has played with his toys a bit, and foraged around for seeds, but is still clickingans every so often his chest puffs up weirdly across the front. Am thinking maybe air sac involvement. Fortunately I managed to record video capturing it and the clicking, and Bluey's snorting so can show to vet this weekend.

Have also figured out dosing Sammy bit better. Involves a second pair of hands, and long nails. Basically fuss and pet until he opens his beak and then force finger in and while he's trying to remove my nail, Dad wriggles in the meds. Ridiculous really. Two fully grown adults to does one teeny, tiny 42 gram lovebird

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I am sending kind thoughts for their healing. You have a 24\7 concern right now, and I admire your patience and excellent care of them. Thanks for the update.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Thanks so much Max. I really needed to hear that tonight... Especially from such a good bird owner. Was feeling bad because I'm struggling with the meds with Sammy and am scared I'm not doing good enough. Plus I hate the fact he is still collared. Took off for few hours today again, but sooner or later he starts screaming and yelping when he preens, and I have to re collar to stop him hurting himself. I don't want to think about risk of a bleed when he is already so poorly. Such a fine line

So thank you x

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry Helen. Poor Sammy and I am sorry he plucked so quickly after taking off his color. Seeing both of your birds sick must be so upsetting. You are a great bird owner and have always taken that extra step to make sure they are OK. It must of broken your heart hearing Sammy cry as he plucked his feathers

Thankfully you are a master at giving meds to them. They are wiggle butts who fight that nasty medicine. No doubt you get it in there. I hope tomorrow will bring more improvement to both of them.

Hugs my friend.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

We've just got back from the vets. Sammy is still a very poorly little boy, but he is responding to the meds. Weight back up a little, and chest a bit clearer. Vet said certainly he hasn't worsened and may have improved a bit since Monday. Bluey flick called the place down and was my alarm this morning. Enough said lol

It's going to be a long recovery, but we're heading the right way. Hopefully everything will keep working, and we'll be able to keep getting it in!

Thanks for the support x it really does mean a lot x

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That is encouraging news to hear. You know I totally believe that our birds feel the love we have for them, and that we do care dearly for them. And when they do get sick, I am sure our love helps to heal them. I agree totally with Deanna, what an awesome caregiver you have been and continue to be for your precious little ones. You and Deanna have had similar crisis" with your birds and are the best!! I admire both of you!!!! I hope each day will be an improvement in their healing.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

How are the birds doing? I hope they are getting lots better now.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

It's slow going Dea. Sammy came out to leap on Alex for a few min last night. By the time I had medicated and nebulised him he zonked out on his perch and didn't wake when we walked up to him. I'm going to call vet over next couple of days to check in and see what the ongoing plan is as I don't know how long he can be on all these drugs! Still clicking, puffing and wheezing, but jangle is getting more attention and he's foraging for treats more.

Bluey has had a few sneezing attacks, but is cheerful and NOISY

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Actually. Forget what I said. Sammy is puffing and clicking again this evening. I'm hoping he just needs his nose cleaning, but his chest is puffing and tail bobbing. I really just want to scream and swear right now

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry Helen and really hope both birds are feeling better now. I didn't have internet for a few days or I would have checked here sooner.

Remove Ads