Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 2nd Budgie Questions

Thanks

2nd Budgie Questions

Hello , I am going to collect my second budgie tomorrow. He is younger than my first bird but confirmed a male and hand fed , so I would think he would be more cuddly. I just bought a bigger cage for 2 budgies so I will be letting the budgie quarantine in the old cage. So excited 😊
    However, I have some questions :
    Should I tame him before introducing him to my first bird during quarantine ?
    How should I introduce them ?
    I am afraid that they would not interact with me after they bond, what can I do to avoid that happening ?
    Also, the new budgie has a leg ring placed since young. The breeder advised me not to remove it as it could hurt the bird. However I read that it causes discomfort for the bird and I donít need really like the idea of that. Should I remove the leg band and will a vet do it without hurting the bird?
    Thanks in advance 😊

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,178 Posts

Re: 2nd Budgie Questions

Hi and welcome to the community. Congrats on your two precious babies! Since you will be quarantining the new one, I do think it is a good time to do some training and get the bond started with him. I suggest taking his cage into a smaller room, perhaps your bedroom, and do the training there. Get some millet sprigs at the petshop, and use them and a small perch, or an unsharpened pencil for the perch, and teach him to step up. Go to YouTube and search for ....training baby budgies. Once the quarantine is over, slowly introduce them into one cage, a few minutes at time, watching for any signs of aggression. All budgies have different personalities, some will be more accepting to a new friend immediately, others it may take more time. I suggest playing music on a CD or radio for them as well. And have a millet sprig too. Let each one eat off the top of the sprig. And, you can train your first budgie separately as well, while the other one is quarantined. Train it the same way as I mentioned above. That will strengthen thee bond you want with both of them! I think that will work quite well.

We will welcome updates anytime. Good luck!!

Thanks

Hello, thanks for your advice. This is my new budgie. https://imgur.com/a/BtL5B5y
    He is still a little scared, which is normal. He hasnít started eating seeds but has nibbled on some vegetables I hanged on the cage. I started singing to him with my eyes closed and he gradually moved closer to me, but as soon as I opened my eyes he immediately moved to the back, seems like a shy one
    I hope he warms up to me after a few days and itís great he is at least eating something.
    Should I start taming only after he is more comfortable with me ?
    Thanks for all your great advice !

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I could not see the pic. Sometimes this device does not work to open pics. Ugh

I would wait another week or so to begin training, but you can still interact and play with him every day. Take the seed cup, put some seeds in it, and put about 1\8th teaspoon of organic or unsweetened apple juice over the top of the seeds and mix it in the seed mix. The juice will add a little sweetness to the seeds and he might start to eat them right away. Then, once he is regularly eating the seeds, you would not need to use the juice. It is best to only use the juice until he is eating seeds, because you do not want him to only eat the seed if it has juice in it. The juice is only to help him get started eating seeds.

He is settling in nicely. Time and patience will win for you. We will watch for updates.

Thanks

Okay, I will go pick up some Apple juice at the store later. Hopefully this encourages him to start eating the seeds. I will update on his reaction to the seeds

Thanks

He is still not eating his seeds, now he stopped eating his vegetables all together, although he got even more active now, he seemed really bothered by his dirtied vent as he tried to clean it off in his water bowl. What should I do? It has been around 5 days and he hasnít ate.
    EDIT : He just started eating his seeds today and he was really hungry. he doesnít seem to trust me yet as he would not eat the seeds off my hand, so for now I will continue putting my hand in the cage so he would get used to it and talk to him at the same time. He doesnít seem to be scared of my hand as I can place it in front of him. Iím Glad he started eating today.
    Last edited by mintbird; 12-13-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yaaay!!! He started to eat his seeds! My thought is to let him settle in a little more, and not try the seeds in your hand quite yet. You are doing great with him, and really, he is doing great too. Just take it slow and easy. You are well on your way to becoming best friends!!!! His vent will get better now that he is eating. That stuff will dry up, and the droppings will be solid, because he wiil be eating all of the time now. Time and patience are on your side. We will welcome updates anytime!

Thanks

I think he is also starting to get used to his surroundings too, as last night was the first night he turned his head to sleep, so that is a relief He always surprises us with changes at night.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!!! That is precious! He is trusting you more every day!

Remove Ads