where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: please help my little Ashu

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: please help my little Ashu

We have ant issues here in the summers as well and they are horribly bad at times. We think there is a huge ant colony that lives in our neighbors huge pine tree but he says no but we seen millions of them coming out of his yard this summer branching off to different houses as they walked down the road. It was disgusting!! We had ant spray that we sprayed all over the trail and we all stomped on the trail killing lots that way. We followed it right to his big tree and he sort of giggled about it, I think he thought me and Carissa were nuts! But it least we killed lots of them. These ants like sweet stuff so we use something called Terro to kill them. It is made with borax and sugar. If you can find the real stuff it works better then the homemade stuff but it seems to only work for the tiny black ants that like sweet stuff. You can google homemade terro and find all kinds of sites telling you how to make it.

I am happy Ashu seems to be getting better and not picking at her leg as much and hope soon this will all be just a bad memory. I am also happy Helen came on here and gave you some advice because she has learned so much with her Sammy. I wonder if the miracle medicated bath they give the animals at her office is made with F10? I sure know whatever it is it sure works great.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Hope your bird, Ashu, does recover from this current medical issue. I notice you have seen vets over this, so I cannot say really more, but, just hope you and your pet bird see better days and Ashu gets well.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thanks Deanna I did google the Terro product and it seems it is similar to a product here called ant rid, although when I try to find information on ant rid I can't see what the ingredients are. When I pop into the supermarket later I'll check it in person. But it sounds similar in which they both lure them and then kills the whole colony and nest and queen. That sounds funny that you stomped your way through the trail of ants. It sounds like me if I see an insect and they startle me so I just stomp like mad on them until I am satisfied that they are dead. I feel like I sound awful but I really hate all insects.

Yesterday felt like a nightmare with all the ants they were all over the ceilings in the lounge room and kitchen, I've never seen it like this before. In the past I've found a couple from time to time in summer that make their way through the kitchen window when I would be cooking dinner and leave the window open but never like this. Thankfully none made their way to the birdie rooms. In the evening after we blanketed the birdies to sleep, we went around the rest of the whole house spraying vinegar and wiping and killing all those ants, well my partner did most of it because he is taller and I am not. But I helped with moving the ladder around for him and I did the tabletops in the kitchen and wiped them down from there too. At night time I did see one or two still crawling around but there wasn't a whole colony again. And once the birds outside went home, my partner spread a product around to kill the ants and deter them, He mentioned poison but he diluted with water so not to hurt the wild birds when they come around and so nothing harmful can get in the house too. I think its just a supermarket product though, so it probably isn't something so harmful, I'll check with him after about what he put. This morning so far thankfully no colonies have made their way inside again and I have only found just a few crawling around. My partner said he hasn't seen anything outside either, so hopefully the product works for awhile until we have to re-apply again. And the wild birds still came in the morning, I hear them when they arrive at sunrise around 5:30, the pigeons come and the sparrows too with their new babies. So it hasn't affected them either. While I love watching the wild birds with their babies outside during summer, I really really prefer the winter and the cold, I cannot stand the heat and dealing with insects.

Thank you Bill, your kind words mean a lot to me as well. Yes we did see pretty much all three vets locally that say they are able to treat birds or see them. They all have knowledge of birds in some way or another, but my partner still prefers to ring the vets in Spain and get a confirmation or advice from them too because they have dealt with lovebirds specifically at their centres.

So far we have not given any more medicine to Ashu since about three days ago. She chirps during the day from time to time with the others. Just now I was in the lounge room and I heard chirping and I thought it was Asha but when I peeked it was actually Ashu. She eats and drinks as usual, and her poops seem normal now, still sometimes a bit stringy during the day but that might be from when she has vegetables, otherwise it's normal consistency. She still seems to struggle with that left leg though like she can't perch on only that leg for too long. I wish I knew what caused this in the first place, definitely not an insect. I cannily assume that either an irritating bite from Asha or the toy they used to have she would squeeze around it to chew it that may have caused it too. I am also so grateful to Helen too (Thanks again Helen!) and to all of you that have provided support and suggestions and advice too. It does sound like the f10 is a miracle worker on their feathers, and I think I will read up on it more too.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh my gosh I would be horrified to see all those ants in our house! It is our worse fear and after seeing the huge colony crawling out of the tree and down the road to the different houses it is one of my nightmares. I usually do not kill anything and at first I felt awful stomping all those millions of ants but I knew if we didn't kill them they would get into houses. We first sprayed them in our yard with ant killer outside and then ran out of it and then sprayed them with a strong simple green cleaner and water solution which kills them and then me and my daughter followed this trail to all our neighbors house stomping them like mad women. It was crazy how big the trails were going to each house. My daughter lived in a house on a street behind our neighbor who lives across from us and she had a horrible ant problem as well. And that trail was heading across the road towards our neighbors and her house below it! I could not even image all those ants coming out of our pine tree here and I for sure would have got a exterminator to come out and kill them. I have a feeling the same thing is happening near your house. We have used ant killer that was toxic outside because sometimes you just have to do it. I think once it is sprayed and on the ground the wild birds will smell it and not come around it. Ants are what nightmares are made out and I really do hope you will not see all those ants come back into your house again.

I am happy Ashu is not taking the meds anymore. I think she might have hurt her leg as well and might be biting at it because something hurts. They are into everything and do hurt themselves sometimes. I am just happy she has not bled anymore. You and your partner are good parronts and no doubt your birds love you for it.

Name
    Annie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Oh my gosh I would be horrified to see all those ants in our house! It is our worse fear and after seeing the huge colony crawling out of the tree and down the road to the different houses it is one of my nightmares. I usually do not kill anything and at first I felt awful stomping all those millions of ants but I knew if we didn't kill them they would get into houses. We first sprayed them in our yard with ant killer outside and then ran out of it and then sprayed them with a strong simple green cleaner and water solution which kills them and then me and my daughter followed this trail to all our neighbors house stomping them like mad women. It was crazy how big the trails were going to each house. My daughter lived in a house on a street behind our neighbor who lives across from us and she had a horrible ant problem as well. And that trail was heading across the road towards our neighbors and her house below it! I could not even image all those ants coming out of our pine tree here and I for sure would have got a exterminator to come out and kill them. I have a feeling the same thing is happening near your house. We have used ant killer that was toxic outside because sometimes you just have to do it. I think once it is sprayed and on the ground the wild birds will smell it and not come around it. Ants are what nightmares are made out and I really do hope you will not see all those ants come back into your house again.

I am happy Ashu is not taking the meds anymore. I think she might have hurt her leg as well and might be biting at it because something hurts. They are into everything and do hurt themselves sometimes. I am just happy she has not bled anymore. You and your partner are good parronts and no doubt your birds love you for it.
    I had ant infestations in my apartment twice and for the first time I called the exterminator service. They did their work well, but two years later my flat got infested again! Decided to handle it alone and googled for an advice. Can say, that simple stomping and cleaner spray won't harm the colony much. And the chemical remedies may harm your pets badly (I have a bird and a dog). Suprisingly, the simple solution worked best, but it was slow though. I tried the same method as described here in the case of sugar ant infestation, I scaterred glue and poisonous traps with borax all around my place, I put it in every slit of my place and under the furniture. It took 4 weeks to get rid of it and I haven't seen any single ant inside my house yet.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

I had trouble with ants, bees, wasps and hornets this summer. I went on line and googled natural remedies to repel or kill insects. There is plenty of info on line and various recommendations. I used a mix of apple cider vinegar, crushed bay leaves, all spice, peppermint essential oil, eucalyptus essential oil, dish soap, I used a brand we have here, Palmolive green, and some hot water. I used a big spray bottle. I think you also can add some borax into the mix. Shake the spray bottle well, and then go outside and spray it around your home foundation and around tree trunks, and other areas of your yard. I also read you can use crushed bay leaves outside in gardens,flower beds, etc.

I had wasps invade my car trunk for two summers. This past summer, I used this mix, spraying it outside in various areas and around my car. The wasps did not like it at all, and quit building nests in my car trunk.

I did not use this mix inside my home, because I did not want to harm my birds. Outside, the bay leaves crushed outside my front door area, and the spray, kept the spiders and other insects away from my front door and crawling under the screen door, too!!!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for all the advice. Since that horrible day with all the ants we have not had a huge infestation like that. A couple will find their way in from time to time but not a major colony. Yesterday we did wake up to finding a fair bit on the kitchen counters but got rid of them quickly. I did find a few in the birdie room too in the afternoon but got rid of them too. And this morning I brought the birds to the lounge and have just cleaned their room with vinegar and vacuumed so they are in the lounge all day until the birdie room is clear this evening. We have never had this ant issue like this before. And it is those little black ones that are looking for sugar. My partner sometimes gets ice and puts them in areas outside where they are crawling around in order to drown them. Doesn't help that much though. I've noticed that they tend to be around more on the hotter days. We have had a few of those lately. I really hate summer, I cannot wait for winter and I hope winter is longer. I wish it was always winter.

Ellen I might try some of those natural remedies that you have tried. We do not have screens in this house at all, which has always been annoying to me, but before we moved in we did not know about the insect issues. We thought about trying to put screens but if they will not prevent the insects then why bother as it is not a forever home, its just a for now rental. We have Palmolive green dish soap as well down here, and I occasionally buy that brand when it is on sale, and I think most of the other ingredients I will have somewhere in the cupboard so I might try it. I tried making a peppermint spray with peppermint oil and water as I had heard lots of insects hate peppermint but it did not seem to work or deter them.Before we had birdies we used to get these insect bomb sprays and put them in the house and leave the house for a few hours then clean up. It would work for awhile but then we would have to use them again after 2 or 3 weeks. I never called a professional pest controller as I wasn't sure if their products would be good and didn't want to pay a lot of money. This was the first year we moved to this house, and after the year after we didnt seem to get an insect problem, so I figured it was just that unusually warm year earlier that caused it. And we did get the birdies the year after so using chemicals like bug sprays wasnt an option after that. It seems to have only become a problem this summer again, so hopefully next summer will be better. or Summer will just go away and never return and take all its insects with it.

We have a big bush tree just outside the kitchen window so there have always been insects around there but they were usually outside, I think bees come to get the flowers growing or the nectar on the tree. And off course the wild birds too.

If we have a major problem again we will put the diluted poison outside again at night time so that the wild birds are gone and when they return it won't affect them and just keep the bugs away.

Little Ashu is doing ok. Her feathers are starting to grow in the area of her wound. She still tries to pick at it sometimes. And she still has trouble perching with that foot too. My partner has wondered whether the mite spray did more harm than good, since there were no mites. I think her foot is in pain, and that this is why she sometimes just prefers to rest more often. When we feel pain, we are sometimes likely to just go and lay down and prefer to just rest and fall asleep in order to not feel the pain, and I think it is the same for little Ashu. I wish there was some kind of medicine to give her for pin, like paracetamol or something, does anyone know if any medicine exists for birds to help with pain? I will not give anything to her without a vet's advice, and possibly not even then if I feel its risky but it would be good to know some opinions here. I do also think that if she were not to feel the pain then she might act like she's invincible again and harm herself by accident so its probably best to let her be. My partner will sometimes get her and try to massage the area a little bit. Overall, apart from sometimes just wanting to rest more, she still chirps to the others. We tried to put her in a cage with Asha again, and for awhile they were fine, but then all of a sudden Asha apparently wanted to pounce of Ashu and not let her eat, I didnt see this, but my partner told me so he put her back in a separate cage again. They get time outside of the cage together regularly though and are still sleeping in our room separate from the others, because rico the red conure is too noisy after bedtime and still screams for an hour or so afterwards so I prefer Ashu to get some peace and quiet and Asha is in her cage right next to Ashu to keep her company. Asha, herself, is also a bit loud now and starts chirping loudly from about 5 or 6 in the morning, but during the night will stay quiet and rest near Ashu. We are thinking to take Ashu to the vet again to be examined, because we are worried about her not being able to perch properly on the wounded leg.

We also think that the cause of all this was a bite from Asha. My partner was looking at her leg properly and showed me and there were two bite marks on the leg very close to her wound. He thinks that Asha bit too hard and this irritated Ashu's skin and caused her the pain too and why she kept picking at the area and eventually got all the feathers out. I don't know how two very bonded sisters can do this to one another. They still love each other so much and will preen each other when they have time together so I don't get it. And Asha kept calling for Ashu the first time they were separated from 3 in the morning. Maybe it's hormones. But anyway we will keep monitoring both of them, especially Ashu, and especially when they are together.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, it could be hormones. I think it is a good idea for another vet exam. Like you, I would worry about that leg and foot, especially the circulation because I would not want to see my birds leg/foot having to be amputated. Thanks for the lovely update. We will watch for any news on the leg/foot.

Name
    William
    Thanks

About Asha, maybe instead try to use a kind of used sock or something to put over the area to stop her irritating the area even further. And, about the ants, maybe try luring them into a concealed box with a lid with food if you donít want to harm them.

P.s: Donít worry, unless they arenít moving into a hidden hole in the ground or something, they shouldnít be too hard to get rid of them. I had a whole colony march into my apartment, and it took only one week to get rid of them all. It was annoying, though...

Name
    William
    Thanks

I know you got rid of them, but just in case!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thanks Ellen and William. I am worried about circulation as well. She is honestly her usual self, she is just sometimes more tired probably because she wants to sleep and forget any pain or irritating feeling that she has and she wants to pick at it again. On Sunday morning we woke up to finding blood in her cage again. She was doing so well, it had been ages possibly 3 weeks or a month since we found blood in her cage and this time there was more than the other times, one of the perches literally turned from cream to a red colour. We were really concerned, and it is like we are back to square one again. We did put flour, and iodine again for her. She is her normal self though, it is like she does not even know she was bleeding. She chirps a lot to the others, she eats as usual, her poops are normal. I am concerned about the blood loss though. So now its back to checking on her a few times overnight again too. We have not been to the vets yet though. I am not sure what they can do really. She has been examined by three vets already, and was given meloxicam to reduce inflammation, we stopped giving that ages ago, but gave her a tiny bit yesterday as her leg was a little inflamed again. I'm going to continue keeping an eye on her.

I might give some thought to the sock. But I am concerned her wound won't heal if it is covered all the time in material. It would also be hard to put it on her as she is not tame so she will always keep moving around. She will also probably try to chew that instead and possibly even remove it she has a sharp beak that little girl! It was hard to get a collar on her on the day that we put the on her too. Oh gosh that would have been annoying dealing with ants for the whole week. I'm glad you got rid of your ants. I do not think we will ever fully get rid of them as there are so many outside, this was just the first time that a whole colony made their way inside instead. Haven't had a major issue with them in awhile though which is good, I hope they stay outside and do not come back inside again though.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think it is very difficult to have to experience any injury or impediment of birds, because the picking on the area, is quite normal, and how do you stop it??? That is the big challenge. And it is bound to bleed again, because their skin is soooo very thin. We, as humans, know how it feels when we get a cut, or an insect bite, or anything that makes the wound reopen and bleed again.

It was a positive that at least for awhile the blood was not there, but I do agree, it sounds like a good amount of blood loss this time. I hope you can find some solution to this bleeding. It would totally worry me too!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry to read she made herself bleed again. I thought since it had been so long since she picked at she was finally better again. A soft collar of some kind might be needed. Helen has dealt with her Sammy making himself bleed too so her collar could work for you too.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I am really hoping she does not make herself bleed again. I am going to read again Helen's posts and show them to my partner so he can get an idea of the kind of collar and see if we can create one for her.

We have also started to notice something else, the sides of her beak are very slightly and slowly turning a bit white. Not too much, but a little. She normally has a pure red beak. I tried to read up on this and found that it could be a number of things including vitamin deficiency (maybe due to the blood loss?), or infection (although I thought if an infection there should be other symptoms?). Another possibility is she might have rubbed her beak a little too hard on a perch. She does seem to rub her beak on perches a lot more lately. And sometimes not on the perches, she might give it a quick rub on the side of her food bowls too. It is another thing concerning me now. She is her normal self eats and drinks normally, poops are good, she chirps with the others, only her little wound on her leg still irritates from time to time, partner put iodine on it earlier this week, not pure, diluted with water. We tried to make an appointment with the vets and one was booked out and the other one is on holidays until February. I might see if we can try to get an appointment next week if possible. And might try consult with an online vet again if I can. I'm hesitant to be giving Ashu any prescribed medicines unless I am sure that the vet themselves is sure of it too and examines her properly. I think the white has started to appear about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I was going through her photos and pics taken at the end of December did not have any white, so it definitely started in January.
    Last edited by marroqui; 01-18-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

This is a picture taken of her today:

Last edited by marroqui; 01-18-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Remove Ads