Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please help my little Ashu

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

please help my little Ashu

Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to post on here for awhile, but it seems like since we lost kiara in October we have been cursed with the threat of another bird dying. Last month we almost lost our conure Nico, but thankfully we managed to help her, which was why I hadn't been on here for awhile.

My post now is about my beloved Ashu lovebird. She is one of the green ones in my little photo next to my username here. The sister of Asha. About a week and a half ago I saw her scratching around her left side between her leg and her feathers. I assumed it may have been an uneven feather growth or moulting and some of our other lovebirds are moulting at the moment. But it got worse. A few days after, all she was doing was sitting around trying to scratch that area, whereas beforehand she was just scratching from time to time but still going about her daily playtime. Then her behaviour changed and was more quiet and just sitting around not looking very happy, and scratching or picking at that area more and more.

we took her to the local vet, who has somewhat some knowledge about birds. They said its not mites, and that it did look like it was a little inflamed and so prescribed her a medicine called meloxicam, which is an anti inflammatory for dogs apparently but he said to just put two drops in her food and that it is safe if Asha also got some by accident too (they share a cage, well until yesterday they did). After two days nothing seemed to change so we then travelled a bit further to the other vet who knows more about birds to check and she did a thorough examination of her and said it is inflamed and that she does not think it is mites either because the itch should be all over if it its mites. She did put anti mite medicine or spray on her though and said if there were mites there wouldn't be anymore and it was a product developed for budgies and safe for lovebirds too. She said she may need a collar if she won't stop scratching.

On Friday she seemed to be scratching more so I went and got the collar for her from a local vet. I do not like the material of the collars, I thought it would be different but it seems like a product that a lovebird could take off their necks themselves easily or hurt themselves with it. My partner tried to put the collar but felt cruel so he took it off and just monitored her all day and was literally sitting in front of her all day saying no every time she tried to pick until bedtime.

Yesterday morning when we unblanketed them we heard them eating and thought great, but when I looked properly at the cage through the blankets I saw blood on a few perches and the food bowls and realised she had picked even more severely at that area and was now bleeding from it. She may have done it overnight. I do wonder if the mite medicine made her want to scratch it even more.

My partner got her and stopped the bleeding and for the first time we separated Asha and Ashu. He said he had noticed from time to time that Asha was not letting her eat. We did begin to wonder if Asha had bitten her in that area and caused her irritation. Anyway for that day they were in separate cages but right next to each other. My partner had to hold Ashu for some time to stop her from scratching. However in the late morning she bathed herself and then was actually eating and chirping all day with the others. She didnt try to scratch herself for most of the day.

Today as soon as we unblanketed them she looked fine and I did not see blood, so no scratching overnight, but then a few minutes later my partner said she started scratching again and was bleeding again. Today was the hardest day, he could not get her to stop touching that area, and I think she has lost a fair bit of blood. The area had gotten worse and it is like there is a hole now and we can see her skin. It broke my heart to see this. He has had her with him most of the day and he ended up putting the collar on her and also a cardboard collar he made for her on top of that to have extra protection. She hated it and would keep trying to take them off and she was successful twice at doing that. He did call a 24 hour emergency vet line in Spain as he is Spanish, to get some advice until we can get her to the local vet again this week, and they said the collar will be necessary even though she won't like it, but that she will get used to it, and that we should apply anti septic like iodine to the wounded area as well, and anti inflammatory and they were aware of meloxicam and said that's fine, but we have finished the meloxicam that we got last week so for now it is just iodine.

I'm just extremely worried about her. My partner tried to put her in her cage to sleep and to eat, and she would eat but then she would just try to scratch again. He decided he will stay awake all night and hold her, despite my objecting to that, he hasn't eaten all day, he could fall asleep and end up squshing her to death. I am well aware of the dangers of falling asleep when a bird is loose. He thinks she will bleed to death in her own cage, as everytime he's put her back in there today she would try to pick herself and would bleed again. I told him to put her in the bird carrier instead and wrap her up in there for safety but he didnt want to as it was in there where she somehow removed the collar the first time herself. So he wrapped her up on the bed and covered her with blankets and secured the area so that she cannot get out, and he said he hasn't heard her scratching either. He put the collar on her prior to this and was holding her to make sure she didnt try to take it off again before he set her up for sleep.

I'm just so worried about my little Ashu. She is so special, her and Asha they really were little babies when they came, they could not even fly and they grew up with us. Those two are two of a kind and I cannot handle losing another bird again. Ashu is fine apart from that irritating itch. Her poops are good and the rest of her is fine, she just has the urge to pick at her wound. We actually thought that she peeled off her leg skin today too but realised it was flour which dried up in the area. I don't know how to stop her from scratching and the collar doesn't seem to be a good help as she was able to take it off herself two times today. I'm really scared of losing her. I feel helpless as I haven't been able to do much for her either, my partner is the one doing everything, and I am the one ensuring all the other birds are getting their cages cleaned each day. We kept Asha with the other birds instead of bringing her to be next to ashu today and she was just screeching most of the day looking for her. She would however take breaks to eat and play with her millet, as she likes to drag the millet sprays around. I have an essay due for uni next week, not to mention I'm behind in my coursework, I just cannot concentrate on anything. I'm so overwhelmed and stressed out and worried about my little birds. I feel like there is a curse hanging over our heads as each month someone always seems to not be well, it was Nico the conure last month and now little Ashu.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

Re: please help my little Ashu

Awwww!!!! I am sooooo sorry this is happening to Ashu.. Did any of those who examined her see any evidence of insect bites on her? Besides mites? In my view, something set this off. I really am at a loss for words for you, Laila. To me, it is like an ulcer, due to the incessant itching and scratching. I have read here on the forum about collars. And they are difficult to keep on birds, which is only normal for them to resisist anything like that on their body.

Our member from the UK, Pixibubbles, real name, Helen, has vast experience with collars and lovebirds. Look her up on the member list, and send her a PM. That way, the two of you can talk more about your problem. She has excellent avian vets there and still has lovebirds, so, hopefully, she could provide good info for you. Deanna may also be of help, although I do not recall her having this problem,she too has vast experience with caring for her Boomer. And she too has excellent avian vets in her area.

I am totally wiped out reading this news. I feel very sorry for you and your partner, for this to happen. You are focused on your flock 24\7 and take meticulous care of every one of them.

Please keep us posted. I am sending you both many hugs. And I will be praying non stop for healing, and complete recovery for Ashu!!! (((((((((((Hugs))))))))))).
    Ellen
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thank you for your kind words Ellen. I also agree, something set it off, and my first thought was mites even though we have never had that problem and they are indoor birds. But We checked everywhere, used a magnifying glass and used white sheets to look for signs and nothing. The vets could not see any signs of an insect bite either. We do have a bit of an insect problem in our house in summer time, but the birdie room is actually the one room in the place that hardly ever gets insects if ever. There room always has a cooler climate too due to higher level house next door which I think keeps the bugs away. The rest of the house is actually ok as well as the insects tend to be found outside and usually only during spring and summer. I think we have only found an insect in the birdie room once or twice and those times would have been an accident from us not shaking a blanket coming out of another room properly, they won't crawl into their room.

We think it must have been Asha, as she is hormonal and my partner said he did notice her kind of pecking at Ashu on her left side from time to time and it might have irritated Ashu's feathers or skin and made her want to pick at it.

Last night went well, however we don't think Ashu slept properly if at all since she wasn't it her cage nor the carrier. My partner said he did not hear her moving either and the collar as left on her overnight and she was wrapped very well and securely with blankets. He stayed in the room with her all night and I stayed in the lounge. I don't think anyone slept well here, I heard Asha calling out to Ashu a few times during the night. I heard her from 4:00 in the morning, and she was very loudly making a flock call, and woke everyone else up, but the person she wanted to reply to her the most did not reply her. So she kept going and going. I think she was distressed because Ashu was not near her. My partner said she called out at around 1:00 in the morning too but I did not hear that call. I felt so bad for her.

In the morning my partner took the collar off Ashu and put her in her cage and she went to eat a lot and drank water. He did feed her during the night though, especially with water. She did not have the collar today at all and she did try to pick at her wound a few times, but not as badly as yesterday. And she did not bleed today. I do wonder if the flour was annoying her as it was used to stop the bleeding and made a paste on her skin so she wanted to take that off, and we mistakenly thought she peeled of her leg skin for a short time. Today we were also able to get her to the local vet, another one who has studied birds, and was the first vet we ever took Asha too and who did Kiara's autopsy as well. He was able to check her and said it does not look infected and thought the same thing, that she might have gotten into a fight with Asha because he asked about their relationship. He said it was fine to keep applying the iodine, and that everything we were doing was what he would suggest too. He gave us more meloxicam as well and said to keep giving that to her for a week as an anti inflammatory. He said we could try to make collars ourselves with better material too as they only had the plastic ones there which is where we got some of the collars from last week. The vets in Spain said on the telephone to my partner the same things, to use iodine and that the meloxicam is good and that the collar would be necessary. Today we didn't use a collar on Ashu and just had to tell her a few times "NO" if she tried to preen that area.

I can't believe that we are now giving medicines to our birds. I thought I had heaps of time before this would ever occur. My poor little babies. It is now Monday night here, and Ashu is sleeping in her cage and Asha is in a cage right next to her, but they are in the other bedroom away from the other birds so we can check on Ashu a few times over night. But my partner said they were already grinding their beaks and hiding in their towels as soon as he blanketed them for bedtime, I wasnt home for that as I went to stock up on a few vegetables to give to the birds tomorrow. We decided to also cut down on giving vegetables everyday and limit it to a few times a week only. Poor Ashu was probably exhausted, she did try to rest a bit this afternoon and was also happy eating some celery and her seeds too. I just want her little wound to heal so that she can be happy and playing again without having to scratch or pick at herself.

Thank you also for the suggestions I will do as you suggested. I think I saw in the cockatiels forum someone having to put a collar on their bird too so I might double check that thread.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Laila At least you are making some progress, even if it is slow. It sounds to me like all the vets you have contacted are credible, and all seem to be on the same protocol for treatment and meds. It is totally normal they want to be close since right now they are separated. I feel sad for them and for you and your partner. It takes a physical and emotional toll on you and your partner, because being so small and vulnerable, they can lose ground very fast. We know you two LOVE everyone of them and are awesome caregivers. We will watch for updates.

If you were to reread my posts over the years, you would know I did have cockatiels over the last 15 years, and there were various reasons for rehoming them. My first four, one female and three males were rehomed because I moved to a small senior citizen comp!ex, and the management would only allow one bird. I did keep one of them for awhile, but he was missing his pals, because they all had been together since they hatched. My landlord finally allowed me to have two birds a couple of years later. So I got one budgie, Maxi, and a female cockatiel, Olliie. Maxi lived 5 years, and died unexpectedly from tumors in the esophagus. My budgie, Muffin, that just turned 7, took his place. I also got a female cockatiel, Ollie, who ended up to be a chronic egg layer. She was a single hen. Chronic egg layers, who are single, often times cease chronic egg laying if they have a male partner, and can hatch chicks. I rehomed her to a small aviary, where she met and bonded with a male, and did hatch two eggs. I had really missed cockatiels being in my life, so I found the sweetest, most inte!ligent, and music loving tiell ever, in the local petshop, a few months ago. I named him Penny! He whistles the wolf and dog whistle and the Mickey Mouse song. And also whistles like a cardinal and whistles pretty, pretty, pretty! And he and Muffin each have their own cage. They are best friends. Muffin has learned every single whistle and sound Penny makes. There is no doubt about it. Our little birdy friends are super intelligent, love life, and each other. Like you, I am just bound and determined to have them for my buddies! My daughter in law had a friend who took Marlee, the budgie, because I can only have two birds. Like you and your partner know, they are the joy of my life.
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-10-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Seems her itch is beyond what would be helped in dermatology. Like she has a bird version of that disease beyond, where they cannot stop scratching. The itch is so intense. I once had poison oak and could not stop scratching. Appears you will need a vets help, or an expert on a site such as this to tell you want you have to do. The itch is too strong for her to ignore. Collar, or whatever needed is the cure now. And it will take time to heal.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry Ashu is doing this to herself and really hope that she continues to not pick at her leg. Thankfully none of our birds here ever picked at there skin and bled. Tikki barbed his feathers and cried in pain sometimes when they got twisted and pulled his skin. Thankfully he got better after a stay at the vets and a few medicated bathes. I have no idea what was in the bath but it made Boomers skin feel better and Tikkis too. I wonder if maybe Ashu hurt her leg and that spot was hurting or maybe a nerve was bugging her. I know I get nerve pain in spots on my ankle and foot from a broken ankle that feel like lighting bolts hitting under my skin. I am just so happy she didn't pick at her leg last night. The meloxicam might help nerves or muscle pulls if she might have hurt her leg. I really hope she has stopped picking at it so you can relax without worry. I think a collar would give you and your partner a peace of mind knowing she isn't going to bleed. I would search this site for collars to see if one would be good for her. I
    Helen, Pixibubbles makes a collar for Sammy her lovie but Sammy picks feathers not skin. Look at her posts to see if you maybe she posted a picture here.

I just hope she is OK and just stops doing this. I truly am sorry and no doubt I worry for her and for you and your partner. The pain and worry our birds give us can make you want to stay with them just to make sure they are OK. Boomer ripped my heart out and put a huge fear inside of me. Not being able to help your loved bird is just horrible. Ashu just needs to stop biting her leg.

Hugs and love to you and your flock.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thank you Ellen, you are right, and I think there is an emotional toll on Asha right now as well because all of a sudden she is alone in her cage. Sometimes she's fine though and just goes and plays around with her toys and then other times she will call out to the rest of the flock when her and Ashu are in the other bedroom. My partner trusts only the vets in Spain, which kind of makes me laugh sometimes. Even when we get a bird examined here, he will now call the 24 hour emergency line in Spain to confirm with them because they are avian vets, I think he mentioned somewhere in Madrid. Doesn't hurt to have a second language (or first language in his case) when needing to confirm things for peace of mind. But down here he does trust one of the local vets, the one who we saw yesterday who also did kiara's autopsy (I checked his credentials on the centre's website and he does have studies on birds but just isn't avian certified), and the other vet who is about 25 minutes away.

I definitely do remember you telling me about your cockatiel ollie, and I did remember you had two budgies until recently. I mentioned it in another thread here last night but you can disregard that since you answered me back on my own thread instead, and I am glad to know that nothing bad happened to Marlee and that she is in another good home. When I saw you mention only one budgie and one cockatiel I got worried and thought something bad happened to your Marlee. I am glad you are enjoying the company of your new friend Penny and that Muffin is also enjoying his company. These noises sound like they are really cute. I remember seeing cockatiels at the family owned pet store nearby and thought the sounds they made were adorable, I cannot describe it but it wasnt a whistle it was a different kind of cute sound. I remember your little ollie and how heartbroken you mentioned you were when you realised she was a chronic egg layer too and having to give her to the aviary. I'm so sorry that Maxi died from a tumour. Is that when you learned about the chemicals in cabbage like vegetables that are not good for budgies? How old is Penny?

I also agree and my birdies are also the joy of my life too. It is amazing how something so small can take such a huge chunk of our hearts. I'd never had pets in my life ever as I wasn't allowed and I remember how scared I was when my partner first brought Ashi, Ashu and Asha here. I couldn't believe that we had another three lives to look after! I won't compare it to being a first time human mom as I am not a human mom yet, but I know I definitely just fell in love with them instantly and did not even think of them as pets, they are family. And I think they feel the same way too, that this is their home. I just hope it is their home for many years to come and that they stay strong and healthy.

Thank you Bill for your suggestions too. I'm sorry to hear you got poison oak previously and I would imagine that would itch. Ashu does seem to want to pick at that area a lot but I don't think it is a disease as the vet said it does not look infected. I did think that maybe a bite from her cage buddy irritated that area or now I am also thinking one of her toys might have irritated that area when she was playing as I used to see her squeezing through an area to go and chew a part of her hanging toy.

Thank you Deanna for your kind words too. I do wonder what was in those medicated baths that your vet gave to Tikki. Poor thing crying out in pain, I hope he never twisted himself too severely. I remember you have mentioned in the past organic red palm oil Is good for feather growth and softening their feathers, I was thinking to try to find that but have struggled to locate it locally. The vet last week who examined Ashu thoroughly mentioned baby oil or lanolin. She isn't avian certified but she is really good at examining our birds and can usually tell what is wrong, as she was the one who felt a cyst on Asha two years ago. I am going to try to look around for a proper collar or on how to make them too. I think Ashu will need it.

I thought she was doing well, no bleeding yesterday or today in the daytime. She had a bath this afternoon too but after that I did have to tell her NO as she tried to preen the wounded area. She was talking with Nala as we brought her and Asha back to the birdie room for awhile to have a chat with everyone and she was happy chatting and looking at Nala, as was Asha who was spreading her wings doing a mating dance for nala which was strange. Hormonal little girl. My partner put them to bed in the other room again and said they were grinding their beaks as well. But just when he was going to bed himself he decided to check on her and when he did he saw her awake on her food bowl and when we put the torch we saw dried blood again. So she did try to pick at the wound again after she was blanketed. He had to get her and applied flour incase there was still bleeding and then put iodine again too. He gives her meloxicam once each morning. I think he is going to call the vets in Spain again to see how long we should give it for, but the local vet said about a week should be enough. After the flour and iodine, he put her to sleep in the carrier instead and put her millet in there and a paper towel to rest on. Everything was going well until just an hour ago when we saw her. I checked on Asha and she was hiding in her towel sleeping. I think they can sense when the other is not nearby. I don't know how they sense it maybe it's smell or they just have really good eyesight even in the dark. I am really really hoping that my little Ashu will not bleed or pick at herself again.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think Nature has made all birds marvelous creatures, and feel the same about dogs, cats, and all animals. They do sense the absence of flock members, and I think all pets do.. We can learn so many lessons of life from them. I admire the Spanish people. They are very intelligent, hard working, family oriented and loving and caring. Some of our most educated doctors and vets are Spanish, and live all over the world, so I fully understand your partner's preference to the Spanish vet. I think any type of bite, or injury, or anything that has a bleeding challenge in our birds has to be the worst worry of all, because they can lose blood fast, and being so small die very quickly. That even makes the worry even worse.

I grew up on a farm, so animals and other creatures were and still are a big part of my life.
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-11-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, Maxi was the one who had been eating fresh parsley, most every day. I came across that article about the cabbage family of veggies, on line. For me, the birds I have had over the years have taught me many lessons of life. I was only 11years old when I got my first budgie, and have homed many budgies and cockatiels over the years. I also love aquariums and tropical fish. I once had a 20 gallon aquarium full of beautiful angel fish. In my view, having tropical fish, is much more challenging than having birds. They are soooo beautiful though, and I loved to sit in my recliner and watch the aquarium for hours.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I would not use baby oil on a bird but I think Lanolin is OK. It is natural. My daughter had a very natural holistic type of doctor when she was born and he always recommended natural things for her. Lanolin was one of them he highly recommended and he flat out told me no baby oil on her little rear end or anywhere else on her body. The lanolin worked great for her diaper rash and also her dry skin and it was perfectly fine for her to suck on her hand if it happened to have lanolin on it. The Organic red palm oil is what Tikki's vet recommends for us and my doctor also tells me it is great oil for us as well. Its sad you cannot find it in Tasmania. Tikki gets it mixed in with his warm veggies and he loves it.

I really do hope all your birds sleep good tonight and no one hurts themselves or bleeds.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Ellen your aquarium sounds like it was so beautiful to watch! I also agree our animals teach us so much about life and give life meaning. I just love the little birdies so so much. It must have been so exciting growing up on a farm and being surrounded by all kinds of animals. We have many farms here in Tasmania, as its mostly a rural state, we live closer to the cbd of our small town though, but there is still so much green everywhere and there are farms just 5 minutes away in the car, we stay close to the city as I do not have a driver's license so have to walk everywhere. There are no high rise buildings either like the rest of the country or the capital Hobart, so even being so close to the cbd its a small town feel.

That's what worries me the most, that they are so small and can lose too much blood too quickly. Yesterday Ashu did not bleed thankfully, but we did have to tell her NO a fair bit of times throughout the day when she reached for the area. It is possible that she just wants to preen the area, but I do not want to risk it. We checked on her about 3 times during the night and she slept in her food bowl and no blood was found so she really did sleep I think. Although probably not enough. She is still tired during the day, which I think is expected as she lost blood over the weekend. She eats as usual, and overnight her poops are normal, but during the day become stringy and I think the meloxicam is causing that. So we have ceased using the meloxicam as my partner said she isn't inflamed anywhere. But is still putting iodine on her 2 or 3 times a day. Today her poop was normal during the day. It is the afternoon here. I'm monitoring her and staying next to her. I do have to tell her not to touch sometimes. I just really hope her little feathers grow back quickly. I am worried that it will take months and months because for nala who had her left wing clipped badly it took a really long time and a moult for her flight feather to grow back normally, but my partner says because on Ashu it is not a flight feather that it should be quicker as long as she doesn't pick at it.

I agree Deanna, I also would not use baby oil, but will need to check where I can get lanolin and make sure there are no other ingredients in it. That is really interesting that your holistic doctor recommended it for your daughter as a baby. There are so many products out there for people and animals and half of them are probably not even safe and just from big companies looking to market them and make money. I never thought baby oil would be bad for a newborn child. That is fascinating. What about baby powder? For babies I mean, not birds.

I am also hoping tonight that everyone sleeps well. Asha is getting restless now because Ashu is not with her even though she is next door. And today she is even more restless because we did not bring them to the birdie room to talk with everyone but they can all hear each other and do flock calls regularly. She goes around screaming and trying to tip her food bowls. But so far Ashu is alright today. We haven't put the collar back on her yet and have just been monitoring her ourselves.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I hope you will not have to use the collar. I think if I were a bird, I would not like one either. Nature dictates the flock is entwined with every bird in your home. I call it....being one with each other. When one is not present in the flock, they all know it, even if they are in separate rooms. It really is amazing how the God or higher power, or the universe, or whatever anyone chioses to believe the universe being created, and how connected birds are with each other. In the spring and summer, I hear outside birds calling each other from far away!!

I think Ashu is on the road to recovery, and agree the meds were causing the poops to be stringy. Meds are often needed, but I like to see the least number of days possible for them to have to take it.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thank goodness she has not picked at her leg and bled again. I really do hope she will heal up now and be all good again so you and your partner will not have to worry anymore.

I have heard and read about Tasmania and envy you living there. It might be a little like where I live except we may be higher and colder then you are there. My mom and step dad drove and camped in a rented campervan there and loved it and the pictures she showed us were beautiful. I live in the mountains away from big cities and wouldn't have it any other way because I love nature and the big pines we have all around us here.

Our doctor we had for Carissa was amazing and he was into very natural things just like I am. I breast fed her and made her own baby food as well because I did not like the bad things they added to baby food you buy. I just think it is much better to eat natural and good organic foods and not to overload yourself with things that have ingredients in it that you cannot even read. Lanolin is easy to find online and be sure to buy only organic lanolin. It is sticky and somewhat hard so you have to warm it on your fingers first then rub it on. I use it here for cuts and dry skin here and it was great for tiny baby butts!! And little birds dry legs as long as you rub it on good.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Hey - hope she's doing better

Meloxicom is good - I use it with Sammy. But I'm a little surprised about putting it in food. You have no way to measure the dose. Sammy I can handle really, really well - and we give it to him orally. Bluey (our budgie) is much less happier being handled - but his meds are still oral.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with mutilation. I've far more experience with it that I'd ever want. In fact, just this morning I was going through the "super careful examination and patching up and collaring" routine after finding blood in Sammy's cage.

You said you didn't like the collars they gave you. I make my own here. Sometimes they last days - sometimes many weeks.

Basically - Get concertiner tubing from the vet (they use it in anaesetic procedures), and zinc free stretchy elastoplast tape, and white non-stretch tape too. Cut the plastic tubing down to side, and make sure no rough edges. Cover it with the elastoplast. Wriggle bird into it, and tape round.

Expect that Ashu will most likely complain and fuss. Sammy spent about 2 alternately scream, lying on the floor and generally falling off perches while figuring out his balance. However - my vet team and nurses had warned me to expect this, pad the cage floor, remove toys etc. After a couple of hours he was up and hopping around climbing and flying fine.

It's not ideal to collar a bird. But sometimes that's the best option to ensure their ongoing safety and make sure they heal up.

Sam likes to pick growing feathers - epecially tail feathers - so you can imagine the amount of blood involved. But he also goes for his poor little feet and legs which is what happened this morning... while covered. Reason for tell you this? So I can tell you what my vet recommended: F10 Wound Ointment.

You can also buy f10 in concentrated format. We nebulise with it - but you can bathe them in it to. The stuff is amazing. Kills lots of nasty things (including the dreaded PBFD!) but they could drink it in dilute format. But also, if Ashu has some skin irritation going on - it could hep. Just make sure it's the oringial (clear) F10, and not the one with added detergent (which is green or yellow). Or ask your vet - whether Aussie or Spanish lol

Hope this might help - and that Ashu's issues are quickly resolved.

Also - I know why you're using flour - but there are cautherising sticks that could work better, and are more hygenic (flour isn't sterile). I have silver nitrate sticks from my vet. Cautherises and acts as antiseptic at same time. Again - talk to the vets x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Same here Ellen, I also hope not to use the collar. So far we have not put a collar on her yet. She still tries to pick at the area from time to time, but she is not doing it so often. I've noticed its mostly in the afternoon, as in the morning she will just be resting and eating. My concern is that she just rests a lot now. I know its to be understood because of the blood loss, but I do wonder for how long will she be like this. Birds really are connected to each other, Asha spends most of the day calling out to the others since she's still in another room with Ashu.

Deanna, I'm more envious of where you live . It sounds really nice being up in the mountains there and the cold weather that you mention sounds really nice too, as I hate all kinds of hot weather. We are in summertime now down here so it is definitely not my favourite time of year right now. But possibly some areas of Tasmania are similar to where you live too. Full of green and nature. The mountains are about an hour away from where I am and on a long windy road too so I've actually never been there yet, as windy roads make me feel sick. Wow the lanolin does sound good I may try to find some organic lanolin online if I can or when I get the chance I'll pop into one of the health food shops here and see if they stock any. It is really nice that you were able to use all natural products for Carissa.

Helen, thank you so much for stopping by and providing suggestions as well. You are right about the meloxicam and putting it on food. All the local vets said to do that, but when my partner rang vet in Spain, they said he could put some on a cotton bud or syringe and let her chew it so she gets some so he was doing that instead. It's true there is no way to monitor if they get the medicines from their food or water or not. One of our conures was unwell last month, but with her it was easy to check that she ate her food and got the medicine because we would just put her on top of her cage with her fresh food in the morning and sprinkle the medicines and she would just go straight to eat so we knew she was getting it without extra assistance.

I'm so sorry that your little Sammy picks at his feathers. Your little Sammy looks a lot like one of my other lovebirds, Ashi, but your Sammy is just a different colour, just the eyes are so similar. It sounds like it has been hard to help little Sammy. Thank you for the suggestions on the collar I am going to keep that in mind and see if we can at least source what you mentioned from the vets to at least just have in hand. At the moment we have not had to re-collar Ashu again, she is not picking at the wound as much as before but she does still go and try to preen the area from time to time throughout the day so that's when I tell her NO and she stops and does something else.

Poor Sammy it would be heartbreaking to keep finding blood. Is he ok now? Has he lost a lot of blood over the years from the picking? Poor little birdie. I have not heard of f10 wound ointment but I will also look for that too so we can have it on hand. Most likely my partner will call the vets in Spain too to make sure lol. But will double check with the local ones as well. That is also a good idea about the flour. I really appreciate al the advice you have given. And I also hope little Sammy is going to improve too.

Over the last few days I do not think Ashu had picked at herself and bled. Although I am not 100% sure. A few days ago upon checking her towel at the bottom of the cage we did see red spots, but not blood red. My partner thinks it was the betadine that he put after she tried to pick at herself. But I do not know if betadine can drip from her or not. But it seems to be the only thing because I remember when we did see her actual blood and its like human blood, more red. The dots we saw were a very very light version of red, more like the betadine colour. The last time we saw the dots was about 2 mornings ago, so since then no red dots of any kind. Hopefully it stays that way. Just now she went and bathed herself, so I am sitting right next to her ready to say NO if she preens the area. I think she mostly sleeps in her food bowl, but I think last night she slept on her towel. We had been checking up on her throughout the night, but last night we did not in order to just let her rest. I just really hope she will be ok. My concern is now for her mostly resting throughout the day, but because she did lose blood previously we figured she needs the rest for awhile. She still calls out to the rest of the flock, and will sometimes sleep chirp as well. And she is eating as usual and drinking as usual. And her poops appear to be normal. It sometimes seems more stringy in the day but it is mostly normal with the white part forming with it too. She still struggles with perching on her leg where the wound is though. She has to use her beak a bit more than usual when needing to climb somewhere.

At the moment I am also dealing with another issue - ants. We seem to have all of a sudden gotten a lot of them getting inside the house. I had to move some items from one cupboard to another when I found them. About a week ago I found out why, they were feasting on a dead insect in the window. So I cleaned that area up thoroughly, and we only had a few crawling around, but today there just seems to be heaps of them on the ceiling. Thankfully they seem to only be in the living room and kitchen, and not the bird rooms but I'm afraid of them spreading out. I was planning to cook dinner today but now I feel like they will get into the food and am hesitant for now. Is there a safe way to get rid of them without harming the birds? We have always had an ant problem at this house, especially in summer, but they were always outside not indoors. They just seem to be crawling everywhere and there is no sugar or anything outside to eat because I cleaned the place up but they still keep coming.

Remove Ads