Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: please help my little Ashu

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

Re: please help my little Ashu

I do see that whitening of the beak. I have not seen that in birds. Could you send that picture to the Spanish Vet? That vet seems to be very knowledgable on lovebird health and care. Or, perhaps you could send the pic to an online vet, if you can find one. It seems like the bleeding and this whitish beak began about the same time? Do you think it could be anemia from blood loss? They are so small and fragile, and just a little blood loss is a lot for them.

Like you, I am concerned.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-19-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I did not think about it being anaemia from blood loss, that may be a possibility. It has been almost two weeks since the last blood loss, and on that day she did stay a bit more quieter and napped more (as she did the two times before that she she bled). But after that she was and has been back to her usual self. She has even started playing just a tiny bit. This makes me feel relief, but at the same time, she is not out of the woods yet, I will not stop worrying until she is completely healed. The white seems to have developed slowly since the start of January, but she had not bled at the time the white started to appear. It had been a long time since she last bled sometime in mid December I think and the last was 2 weeks ago so there was a large gap. I hope she doesn't bleed again, she is always monitored during the day and even at night we will sometimes go and check subtly once or twice to make sure there is no blood in the cage.

I really really hope it is nothing, but I am thinking about the anaemia or vitamin deficiency. She has been eating more variety in seeds, beforehand she always just preferred millet and the occasional safflower, but now she will eat oats too. And she still loves her vegetables, corn, celery and broccoli and silverbeet, The other day I managed to find a beautiful fresh and leafy bunch of silverbeet at the local fruit and vegetable shop and everyone seemed to love it. We tried to give a small amount of pellets but she would not eat them. I guess it was only the conures that devour pellets. I have a product here called Vetafarm Spark Liquid, which is similar to electrolytes, and is mostly to give to birds during summer to hydrate them regularly and is put in their water. I was thinking to give her a bit of that. But I'll see.

My partner can't seem to contact those 24hr Spanish vets all of a sudden. He said it just rings and rings and no one answers. It is strange. He might see if he can contact another vet in Spain during opening hours instead, as in the past he has done that, had to wait until after 10 or 11 at night here though, but it was worth it to get good information, he did it when we were concerned about Asha's flight feather not growing. We would honestly pay them even just for a 5 minute phone consult, but they are always so kind and are happy to help from so far away. I might try an online vet again too, they were helpful when we used them for the conure when she wasn't well in December, well it was because of them that we decided to just give them some pellets because, as always, it as suggested as a part of their diet and we really think the vitamins in those pellets saved her life. I'm just a little scared about what I might be told if I use an online vet. I think I'll get my partner to try another vet in Spain again first since they all seem to have specific knowledge on lovebirds, they must see lots of lovebirds over there. I wish we could move there with all the birds. If the beak doesnt improve, I think we will try the local vet again, if we can get an appointment, or at least try just after February when the qualified one is back from holidays. At the moment, behaviour wise she is doing really well. She chirps more than ever, along with Asha, all day long, She still tries to pick at her wound but not as much as before, and sometimes a quick distraction will deter her for ages, she has baths regularly, she eats and drinks well, poops are normal. We brought Nala and Iki's cage over to the bedroom so they could see them for awhile and they were all so happy, Nala seemed a bit sad to not be able to see Asha and Ashu in front of her like she used to, so all four were happy to talk to each other face to face. Nala really likes Ashu a lot, and vice versa, and I think Asha doesnt mind nala now, she didn't like her before, but they are always calling out to each other now.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Could the lighter color on the outside be her beak growing and not yet fully colored in? I know Boomers was blackish color on the tip when it grew but he was a peachface. I do hope it is nothing else then growth. I am happy to hear she has not hurt herself and seems to not be picking at her scab so much anymore.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I have an update - my partner was able to find another 24 hour vet in Spain and spoke with them, and they said it is difficult to tell without a physical examination but they did mention that blood loss can result in anaemia and that is a possibility of what the beak whitening could be, and mentioned to try to give her more vitamins. He mentioned red capsicum (or red peppers as some of you may know it as), leafy greens and citrus. Yesterday she was hand fed orange and she did seem to like it a little. And we usually give greens like broccoli and silverbeet. We alternate between spinach and silverbeet. And Ashu especially likes the long broccoli called broccolini or baby broccoli because it can be hung like millet. Today we put capsicum in hers and everyone's cages so we will see if she eats it. I remember trying to give them capsicum a long time ago but no one ate it, I have a feeling they may not like it, there does not seem to be an appealing flavour to it for birds anyway, like it might have for humans. But at least she will get her other varieties and hopefully this will help her with her beak and her health too.

Deanna, I am not sure if it can be the beak still growing, as she is already over 2 years old so I think her beak should be fully grown and into her adult colours already? I remember Ashi (the hybrid Fischer/masked blue one) when she came as a baby she had an orange beak and as she grew up it turned pink, the same as Koko's who is a blue makes lovebird. So I did assume that most have their adult colours already. No one else seems to have this whitish on the sides of their beaks either, it is just her which made me think it had to do with what happened to her, her wound, and now thinking that it may be from the loss of vitamins from the blood loss. I am hoping she does not make herself bleed again, I am worried about too much blood loss occurring which had already happened.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I agree it is not normal then, I thought she was a little younger. It was Boomers tip of his beak that would grow a little bit and it was always sort of grey colored. I am happy you got ahold of the vets and have gotten info from them to go from. I just hope she gets better with each day.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I have often fed hot pepper seeds to cockatiels. Since capsicum is hot red peppers, get a bottle of red pepper seeds in the condiment department, if you wish to, and put some seeds sprinkled over their fresh veggies, and also in a separate seed cup. My cockatiels loved them!! I am so happy for you that you talked to the Spanish vet!! He or she is very intelligent!!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed response. Since my last post, Ashu has been doing much better. She chirps all day long along with Asha, we actually thought at one point that Asha was the noisy one and went to tell her to keep it down, but upon peeking into the room it was little Ashu chirping and singing extremely loudly and happily. Her feathers are growing in her wound area, and she has not picked at it or bled since the last time which would be about 3.5 weeks ago now. She still has the white in her beak but it is not getting any whiter, if anything, we may be paranoid but are thinking the white is very very slightly starting to fade. Every few days she is hand fed some fruit, usually a choice between strawberries, oranges, grapefruit or raspberries. And we see her taking the juices from those fruits with her little tongue so hopefully she takes in the vitamins as well. Apart from that she gets her regular vegetables each day like corn, silverbeet, broccoli, although we have given everyone a two day break from vegetables and I just got some more today from the shops. She is not out of the woods yet, and won't be until all her feathers have grown in, but she is definitely doing much better. She can perch on both legs, and when she does put her wounded leg up it is because she is relaxing and sleep chirping. She does preen that area but usually when she has had a bath and I watch her when she is doing it to make sure she does not pick at it. I really hope my little Ashu is going to fully recover. I do not think I will be able to put her and Asha back together permanently because Asha is hormonal and in nest mode. When we were trying to get them both back in their cages after time out the other day, we got Asha back in first and when Ashu went to the top of Asha's cage, Asha tried to bite her leg .. it is her bonded friend I don't understand why she does that. Her territorial behaviour I guess.

Thanks Deanna and Ellen. It sounds like your cockatiels really liked the hot peppers. Are they the same as capsicum, or are they what we call chilli down here? Or is chilli the same thing everywhere? I'm confused now lol. Peppers are capsicums right? And there are hot versions or mild / sweet versions? Because here the capsicums are not spicy or hot. But the three different colours of capsicums do have slightly different flavours to each other, we get the green, red and yellow ones here and I think the yellow ones are the most mild or sweet, then green is the next level up, then red. I have not seen capsicum seeds in the condiment department in the shops here but I have seen and have at home hot chilli flakes which I sometimes use to add a bit of heat to some cooking dishes. I am also glad we got assistance from the Spanish vets too, they really must have great education systems in Spain in all areas of health for both animals and humans.

I am sitting next to Ashu right now while I type this and she is shouting at the top of her lungs while perching on her purple food bowl. I am always so happy to hear her chirping and being active. I will still be monitoring her until she is completely healed and I really hope she doesn't get the urge to pick again and will be ok. I think I will let her out for awhile for some play time with Asha. I let them out everyday so they can preen each other and have a little stretch.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Laila!! Little Ashu is a miracle, I am super happy for you that she is indeed getting better. Like you, I was very worried about her. Trying to heal a wound on them is so difficult, because it is only natural for them to pick at it. Yes, I have heard great reviews of Spanish doctors here in America as well. They are highly educated, I think here, even higher then American doctors.

I think Asha's tendency to pick on Ashu is indeed because of her hormones and wanting to nest. It is Mother Nature, and nothing can be done in my view, other than to keep them apart in separate cages. That is a wise decision. And you monitor them closely when they arevtogether!! Please keep us updated on occasion.

I think the pepper seeds I am speaking about are hot pepper seeds. I do not know if there is a capiscum seed. I will do some online research, and post the info here on this thread if I can find info about capiscum vs the seeds I mentioned.

Your whole flock is so unique and beautiful. The hard work you do for all of them is amazing. I know the feeling. They just wrap their little hearts around our heart strings. We will welcome your updates anytime! (((((Hugs)))). Ellen
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-06-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am very happy to read that Ashu is feeling better and no doubt you and your partner are thrilled!! Your a great parront and no doubt you have a very spoiled flock.

Remove Ads