where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird dark mark on Snitch’s neck

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Weird dark mark on Snitch’s neck

Snitch has been weird and sitting all nestled down like you’d expect her to settle down on a nest today. I cleaned her Monday and trimmed her nails and examined her as I do when I’m handling her and all looked fine. After my husband asked me why she keeps sitting like that I decided to go check her over again as it wasn’t just me imagining things. All feels well, belly and chest and back and wings and feet and legs all gone over gently with my fingers. Then I noticed a dark mark on her skin among her feathers on one side of her neck. I blew gently on her face to keep her calm while I pushed the feathers back and had David take a couple pics of what I’m talking about. It almost looks to me like one of those raspberry birth marks that humans get....but I find it hard to believe that I haven’t noticed it for 2 years if it has always been there...is that possible? There are no feathers growing out of that patch of skin. Any idea what that might be? I will attach pics we took as well. I apologize for the giant size of them (better larger image of what the problem is), for the flash brightness and for the carrot bits on her beak. She was all nested down like the 4th photo but near her carrot, so she was probably snacking at the time. In the posted photo she is doing that nesty squat but on her broccoli. She stands on her broccoli often, especially during road trips - I think it makes for a grippier perch on a bumpy road plus it's a high enough vantage point to see out the window of the car. lol

She is still eating properly and drinking and bathing once or twice daily. (She adores a bath!) droppings seem normal. No inflammation or dirt near the vent. Could it be that she has a wound there somehow? Should I try applying peroxide or something topical? Could the nestiness be unrelated and a sign that she may lay another clutch of eggs (last time she did was just after Christmas so this is similar time of Year)? Even when sleeping she doesn't really sit down low like that. She is regularly at normal height, just pulls a leg up and fluffs and puts her head under her wing.

Last edited by MessyMissy; 12-12-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Re: Weird dark mark on Snitch’s neck

I should also say that you can’t see the mark at all when her feathers aren’t being pushed away from it. I’d never have noticed it unless I was really examining her whole body for anything unusual. I have also noticed when watching her she is pulling one foot up. Tonight I think I’m going to run her feet under some tepid water and maybe use some peroxide to see if there are any abrasions and rub some oil into them. I saw a thing online that says to use olive oil but if she can’t eat olives then I feel like olive oil isn’t the best thing. I’m going to go with coconut oil instead as she can eat coconut. Any suggestions?

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Ok so tonight I ran her feet and legs under warm water for a bit to soften them up a bit and clean them. I dipped her feet in hydrogen peroxide and saw no bubbles, so there isn’t an abrasion or bacteria. There is no swelling and all of her toes and both legs are moving - full range of motion. She had a bit of scale on each foot and with some gentle rubbing and a bit of coconut oil rubbed in to soften them up I was able to remove the scale buildup in a couple places on both feet as I’ve seen a vet do with another canary. She almost seemed to enjoy the foot rub if that’s even possible. She relaxed and stopped struggling and opened her feet right up for that part. She is definitely not putting weight on her left leg when sitting in her cage, though. She flies and lands on both feet then pulls the left up immediately. We didn’t see her bathe at all today. She’s all settled down on her perch or her broccoli and not putting weight on that left foot. I feel like she must have hurt it somehow. Not cut or scraped but some kind of bruise or sprain of some sort that is making it painful. I’m just not sure if I should take her to the vet immediately for him to confirm that or if I can save myself an expensive three minute appointment and wait to see if a few days of her favouring the other leg will give it time to feel better. I’m pretty sure that dark mark on her neck is nothing and completely unrelated to what’s bothering her. If she was breathing funny or not eating or irregular stool I’d take her in immediately but I feel like this is something that I can wait and see. I’d just rather have Rudi weigh in - you know so much more about all the possible ailments birds can have!! I also hope that what I’ve done so far on instinct hasn’t been completely off base.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Some progress.....30 out of the last 45 mins she has been on two feet. Even when the left is pulled up she’s standing tall again. She has been doing some light preening around the area (probably annoyed at some coconut oil getting on her belly feathers - which is why I wanted to use something edible to her) and she has been on her swing and flying perch to perch energetically like she usually does a LOT which she hadn’t done since a couple days ago! She was on her swing 6 times in 20 minutes which is a little extra, even for her. She’s still babying that left foot a bit - but clearly it’s feeling SOMEWHAT better if she’s unable to resist the exercise! Right? I’m going to repeat the warm water and the coconut oil again tomorrow evening. My husband just said “she’s going to want coconut oil massages all the time now!” lol Maybe she, like me, gets dry skin in winter and just needed a little spa treatment!

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Today she has been babying the foot again, still, but putting weight on it more frequently and still flying around and on her swing like normal. She didn’t fully bathe that we observed, but after the coconut oil foot rub tonight she preened even more than last night and she did hop down and take a half-bath - she washed her face, basically but didn’t fully hop into the bath and do a full-body splash around like she usually does once or twice a day. It was a bit odd as she did it when both my husband and I were standing right in front of the cage (she usually waits til we’re a bit farther away) which I almost felt like she was waiting for us to be there so she felt secure. Despite her vocal objections to being handled and oiled up she has been coming closer to whatever side of her cage I am sitting or standing by when I am observing her. It’s like she is a sick child seeking comfort from her parents. It kinda breaks my heart. I’m glad her disposition and her comfort on the foot are improving, but wish I could know for certain what is wrong and if it’s a coincidence or if my treatment is helping in some way.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Snitch is so dang cute!!!! I was hoping Rudy would see this post and let us know what that red mark is. I am not sure if Snitch has a crop like parrots do but for some reason I don't think they do. I am happy the coconut oil helps her feet and maybe they were dry and hurting like our hands do when they get dry and cracky. Be sure the oil is organic and if at all possible get some organic red palm oil and use that. Our avian vet recommends it for birds and also us humans.

I hope Snitch continues to feel better and Rudi drops by and gives his thoughts on what is going on with Snitch.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

I just caught her standing on her left with her right up. That means she’s now standing on the one that she has been babying for days. I’m going to keep up the coconut oil treatment for a couple of days unless Rudi comes on and tells me to stop. lol I use organic coconut oil with nothing else added for my own skin in winter and substitute it in my cooking wherever possible as well since it absorbs really well and doesn’t leave great residue or marks on clothing I figure it will soften her feathers maybe as an added bonus what bits do get on her?. As far as I know softbills don’t have a crop. That’s one of the first things I thought of though as well! I honestly haven’t seen her move her head or neck in any unusual way and you can’t see it at all when she’s sitting normally....so I think that was just a freak discovery that isn’t a problem at all. Wish I knew for sure! I’ll try to post some foot pics in case I’m missing something.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

What is still concerning me is she isn’t bathing. And she is spending a lot of time on her swing in the top of her cage not moving around like she usually does.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I wonder if she had a fright and knocked her head and foot on something. Maybe its a bruise on her cheek. I use to use coconut oil on my body but my boss teased me about it because I smelled like his food! He cooks with coconut oil which made it funny to both of us because I only use it for my body. I now use other oils on my skin. I found some organic baby oil with Aloe in it and it absorbs better then the coconut oil.

I am super happy your little girl is doing lots better and hope whatever it was is all healed up now.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

I’m skipping the coconut oil today as she has been preening a bunch more, hopped in her bath twice this morning and has been on both legs all day. She is also rubbing her beak on her cuttle bone (part of her grooming routine) and has been on every perch and dish in her cage so she’s fully mobile now. She’s still spending more time on her swing than anywhere else today but not all still and one-legged like she was the past couple days. If I was hurt I’d probably feel safest at the highest point in the cage too, so maybe that’s why that became her spot while she was recovering? I wish I could talk to her and figure out what’s going on in that little bird brain! I figure if what I did to treat her didn’t help at least it seems not to have harmed her. I was going over it in my head and if she was not showing major improvement by Friday when we travel up north to my in-laws’ for Christmas break I was not going to leave her with anyone else who doesn’t know her like I do and was not going to take her somewhere unfamiliar without the vet nearby. It’s highly unlikely there would be a bird-capable vet in the nearest city (30 minutes away) and certainly not an emergency all hours clinic like we have here.

Boomer I think I was just surprised by how red her skin was as it’s pale on her legs, but when caught and handled she gets all red in the skin like her blood pressure is visibly elevated and that may have just been what her skin looked like where I could see it between her feathers. I was picturing more of the colour of a plucked turkey and that looked like a wound in comparison. Her belly skin looked the same colour when I was inspecting and coconut oiling her yesterday. I am 99% sure I saw that and her behaviour and no marks or other signs anywhere on her and probably jumped to the wrong conclusion. lol better to care than not, right?

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Hey guys, or sorry Gals,
    Sorry been in the swing of show season, so for weeks now been all over at bird shows. I wished I could say gathering tons of trophies, but alas no. Last year I seemed to win everything, this year not so much, oh well no worries it happens.

Now first off, the mark you are eluding too, appears to be Snitches ears. Remember birds don't have ears, rather holes.

The foot could just be sore or bumped. They can, like us, just injure themselves, sprain sort of, which just takes time to heal.

The coconut oil is good, as long as the bird doesn't like the taste to much and mess with it. The strangest thing about Coconut oil is that for some reason it has popped up everywhere lately. First, its funny you find it in the cooking oil portion of the grocery store, well it is for that reason, but lately for lots more. Even hear for coating cage bottoms to assist in cleaning or keeping clean. The stranger thing is "OK, Disclaimer time", seriously disclaimer time. Coconut oil has been known for years for a specific use and now has been pooping up everywhere. Major TV shows and advise columns, as the safest and best lubricant for lets say intimate human interaction. It has taken the forefront in this regard specifically for women during or after metaphase, in regard to lubrication. Now I am not being gross or trying to offend anyone, I am specifically pointing out, if so many doctors are stating it for the use I just named, because it is one natural, two safe to be absorbed and ingested, and next not silicone based or manufactured. All of which means if it is safe for us as humans in regard to what I described, thus safe for our birds. Lastly I have seen some birds get excited over it, so watch how much, a friends bird, (parrot) acts like catnip to cats.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Hahahahaha! Love it. 1) I misdiagnosed her ear as a wound - good thing I didn’t attempt to treat THAT as a wound and correctly focused on her feet! 2) She doesn’t seem to like the bit of coconut oil that got on her feathers. No worries about her getting hooked on it. She has avoided preening near that area mostly for a few days. She is still not bathing quite like she used to, but Dave said at least she splashed around this morning. She has some unsweetened shredded coconut in the one seed mix I make for her and doesn’t seem to be too fond of it, but I’ve seen lots of videos of canaries going nuts on a chunk of coconut so I know it’s safe and I figure any oil is not good for anyone in excess. Far healthier than olive oil or Vaseline which I saw recommended a couple of places. I’d never put that on my baby. She didn’t like having her feet run under water but she seemed to calm down and even opened her feet during the foot rub part. Maybe she enjoyed it or maybe she just gave up on life and stopped fighting at that point. Lol Now she has soft skin and I think the grooming bit may have been a twisted ankle or whatever making it hard for her to bend and reach to groom much. This was less subtle than her sinus infection and I had to inspect her whole body really minutely to make sure I wasn’t missing something as there was nothing visible when watching her.

Just like a first time mom - I get nervous when my baby is sick or injured!!

Thanks as always, Rudy, for weighing in. You win top prize every day in every category in my book! Do you have any photos of your little ones that competed? Show them off - we’d all love to see some of your birds!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Sorry you did not win at the bird show but we all know your birds are the best birds at any show because they got the best person taking care of them.

That cracks me up about the coconut oil but it does make perfect sense to me. Its good to know it is safe because if it is safe for "that" then for sure it is safe to rub all over our bodies. It does really work great but leaves you smelling like a coconut.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

First off, I didn't know how to actually say or give that information. It made me uncomfortable doing so, but its the truth and yes, the correlation is correct, if its safe for that, including it is specifically designed for cooking, so its ingestible and safe if absorbed.

OK, I have won multiple best in shows, which winning even one is tough, so yes all is ok. One just gets spoiled. "BUT" I did have 2 breeds win best in breed and make it to the top best in show bench, to have lost to some extremely good birds, but more importantly, I was beaten by some very good friends and that is always good with me. I had an Irish Fancy Canary and a Northern Dutch Frill go up to the best in show bench, and the winning birds where, a spectacular Border Canary 1st, then Fife Canary 2nd, and third was a very nice Gloster Corona Canary. This show was honestly amazing. I have not seen the top bench filled with such great birds, (out of 32 birds I entered, which also included Parisian Frills and Padovan Frills). It is rare to have so many top birds on a bench like this show had. Meaning so many that if this was at another show any of them could have won that show, they were all that good. A little on showing, it is rare so many of the top breeders/exhibitors are at one show, of so many different breeds. There were 28 different breeds being shown in the type division, 4 colorbred divisions and then 2 different song groups. That's not usual. So needless to say, no worries for me, I was just happy to pull the show off. That also means I was running around with my head cut off, so the side affect is I don't have any photos. If anyone wants, you can go onto floridacanaryfanciers.club or also irishfancycanary.com I know the webmaster is still working on updating the sites from the show, so a lot of it isn't there yet.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Just appears she has no feathers there. Is she healthy and happy? If so, could be no problem. To really be sure, ask your vet to see and explain what he thinks it is. That would solve the problem.

Remove Ads