where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird dark mark on Snitch’s neck

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Weird dark mark on Snitch’s neck

Thanks Rudi and I am happy you posted that about the Coconut oil because it is good to know. I know Boomer use to get dry feet and I sure wished I knew about rubbing coconut oil on them when he was alive. I also told my daughter she could use it on Tikki as well if he got dry feet or legs.

I am happy to hear you won a few of the awards. Thanks for the link to the show pages and I will check back on them a little later to see the winners. I did see some of the pictures on the site but they were before the show and did not show much of the birds up close. I also joined the facebook page because then I can see lots of pictures all the time on the FB page.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Annie
    Thanks

Just be careful with that coconut oil. My bird suddenly became allergic to it over time.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

An allergic reaction CAN indeed occur, so everyone knows. Just like anything, some of us as well as birds, can have reactions to different things. Think peanuts, must of are ok, but some people, no so much, so even using peanut oil to cook with can seriously harm some. Most people, at least here in the USA keep a tube of bacitracin or Neosporin on hand for the use in keeping birds legs in top shape. I even use it when banding my birds. To be safe when banding, in case either the band, myself or any reason something occurs while banding, I place a small dab of Neosporin In the band before I apply it. That way the Neosporin actually first works as a lube to slide on the leg easier, and then two if any thing occur it is a antibacterial cream for both any scratch, problem or even reaction to a new metal object on the leg.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I never knew you could use Neosporin on a bird. I learn something all the time here.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

One of the posts I saw spoke of using the Neosporin or Polyaporin as well but I figured since I couldn’t see any abrasions I would go with coconut oil since the neosporin is not supposed to be ingested and I couldn’t be sure she wouldn’t ingest some small amount of it. I had a tube on hand to use if the hydrogen peroxide had bubbled at all showing abrasions were present. Although you always want to take the top prize it must be kind of amazing to see so many best in class birds in one place. I’d love to attend a show one day just to see all of the beautiful varieties of birds!!

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

I didn't think about it at the time but did later. Please remember or know there are big differences in Coconut oil. The main kind I am referring to is actually sold as Organic Coconut oil. It has a white and almost Vaseline like in appearance and texture, not the clear to amber-ish yellow oil you would think of for cooking. Generally in the cooking oil section of the grocery store and around $8-$10 a jar. Again, one never will go wrong with an ointment made for abrasions. Just yes, never apply to much f any of them, meaning try not to gob it on so as to avoid it soiling feathers. Apply just enough to be able to have it absorb in.

Remove Ads